PDA

View Full Version : The Fists of Mymirdion- Imperial fists sucessors

Ghost Warrior
10-09-2009, 20:24
So, I'm doing another marine army and actually want to do some background.
Here's what I've got.

The Fists are a proud, yet forgotten chapter, yet they bear it with stotic resolve. The Chapter Master, Zeydon Thunderheart, led the Fists after the dissolution of the Imperial Fists Leigon in the Secound Founding. The Chapter was made up of the defensive elements and he was the highest ranking marine. He is one of the oldest Marine salive and is beginning to feel it as he is prone to wild ramblings about the Return?

Their homeworld is on one of the warp routes to Terra and their job is to guard it. The Chapter keep is located on the planet's surface surrounded by bastions and Imperial Guard regiments. The commanding staff and 9th (devastator) company lodge in the ancient keep and it has always been thus. The 9th are called away only under the direst cicumstances and when a squad is sent to train on a hard campaign.

The 2nd built a spiraling defense complex on it's only moon after a large fleet of ships attacked and destroyed all in it's path until the intervention of the Dark Angels so the 2nd decided thi could never happen again and built a series of keeps and monstrous defence lasers. The rest of the chapter now live in and maintain it.

Unlike most Codex chapters, They maintain 2 crusade companys 5th and 6th, which bear resembalance to those of the Black Templars and bear homage to the traditons of the Imperial Fists. These companies are commanded by a High captain who is second to the Chapter master and chooses where these companies go and fight. He is master of the crusader fleet which rivals the size of most Chapters. The companis are of 150 marines each and an unknown number of trainees. The Inquisition have tried to limit their numbers however the intervention of the High Lord of Terra stopped their protests.

So, good reading?

Firaxin
10-09-2009, 23:25
I like that they're stationed on an unnamed warp route to Terra--it provides potential for some tense and dramatic campaigns/battles, without being marysueish or cutting into major established events (like Armageddon).

As it is I'm left wanting more. Can you more fully describe the rest of their system? The major engagements they've had, particularly the fleet that 'almost got through?' And more information on their organization, tactics, customs, colors, etc, to differentiate them from the Fists/Templars/etc.

BlackLegion
11-09-2009, 00:23
Shouldn't it be Myrmidon instead of Mymirdion?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmidons

And i would make them at least a third founding chapter. The only second founding chapters of the Imperial Fists are the Black Templars and Crimson Fists (and Soul Drinkers if you beliefe it).
Note that a third founding chapter doesn't need to use the gene seed of the Black Templarsor Crimson Fists. They could use the gene seed directly from the Imperial Fists and still be a third founding chapter.

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 06:35
O.k, here's some more

When the so-called Fleet of Annihalation attacked the system, the Chapter was unprepared, the Crusade Fleet was returning from a tour of guard duty around the Malestrom and the elements of all the other companies were scatttered on various campaigns and only the 9th, the Gatekeepers, were deployed in company strength.

The Fleet was made up of many khornate hosts and a Space Hulk filled with corrupted orks, and even more terriffying was the leader of the Fleet, a ex-Salamander known as Mijax Firedevourer and his S.I.C, Varjo, a mysterious figure in black crusade amour in white robes.

They easily destroyed the moon complex, which in the Chapter's arrogance they had failed to keep at optimum strength. They fired the Ork-infested Hulk at it and what wasn't destroyed was hacked apart by tainted orks. One thunderhawk made it to the surface with the garrison from the 3rd in it. No marines were thankfully killed but over the population of the planet, a coven of tech priests and a regment of guard were killed to a man.

The Fleet made for Mymirdion as the Gatekeepers prepared for war and manned the walls and roused the Ancients.

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 19:53
The skies turned red with the number of landing craft descending to the surface and soon the assembled warhost turned to attack the chapter keep. The warhost scoured the planet looking for people but before they made planetfall, the fists had evacuated the population to the immense vaults under the keep. Only a lone bridge could grant access to the keep and was large enough to facilitate 3 landraiders wide barely. Mirjax, a towering figure in emerald armour with flames flickering across it, surronded by his terminator bodyguard walked to the centre of the brigde and planted his standard amd drew his axe, he pointed to the keep "You may surrender now and I will grant you a quick death.Allow me access to the great secrets of Myrmidon and your gene vault. Or die" . In response,the massive gates openned and Zeydon led a counter attack at the head of the Emperor's Shield as the 9th rained fire upon the army.

So, enjoying the story, I'd appreciate some feedback before my next post? Feel free to request a description of anything or a company description? Would you like me to continue the Fleet story and can you guess what the Emperors Shield is?

Firaxin
11-09-2009, 19:59
Hmm. I'm not a fan with how Guard get pummeled just to make the marines look stronger. If 30mil guard got trashed just like that, then a counter-charge by a single company of marines is not going to work well at all, unless they're like all dreadnaughts or all terminators or something.

Otherwise, fine enough. And I have to agree with Black Legion, it should be Myrmidon. That's what my brain registered it as, I didn't even see it was spelled differently.

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 20:09
Sorry thought I edited the guard bit, try now. But what do you think, Firaxin? Btw the shield is not a company of marines

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 20:12
Yes, it should be Myrmidon but I haven't changed it so I will do soon, what do you want me to write about next?

Lexington
11-09-2009, 20:44
He is one of the oldest Marine salive and is beginning to feel it as he is prone to wild ramblings about the Return?
Problem here: Even Marines, while long-lived, eventually feel the effects of old age, and will die of natural causes. IIRC, the Blood Angels are the longest-lived of the Marine Chapters, and even they top out at 1500 years or so. As far as I know, the only living Marine from the time of the Heresy is Bjorn the Fell-Handed, and he's Dreadnought-bound.

The Inquisition have tried to limit their numbers however the intervention of the High Lord of Terra stopped their protests.
Given that the Black Templars have some unknown (but much bigger than 1,000) number of Marines running around, I somewhat doubt that the Inquisition would be terribly concerned about an extra fifty Marines per Company, especially in a Chapter stationed at such an important stronghold. Seems even less likely that the High Lords of Terra would be concerned, much less intervene.

One question that comes to mind is how a Warp route to Terra would be able to be guarded from realspace. I'm not really sure that there are "routes" in the Warp, outside of spots connected by Warp Gates, and if there are, how does one guard them when the Warp bypasses realspace entirely?

Don't mean to nitpick so much, but these are some questions that came to mind while reading your background. Keep working at it! :)

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 21:06
What I read in a BL book was that a cruiser was dispatched to guard a warp jump point so I assumed that you had to come out of the warp to jump to another point as a course must be plotted and some stops are enivitable
Some marines die to old age but in my opinion, pure first gen geneseed has different properties to that of the newer diluted forms and the reason he is not in a dreadnought is because he has never been wounded as bad as bjorn was.
The reason the Inquistion was getting involved was to stop them as getting as bad as the BTs which they are also looking into and they are trying to keep the 1000ish marine limit in effect

Gorthor21
11-09-2009, 21:26
Problem here: Even Marines, while long-lived, eventually feel the effects of old age, and will die of natural causes. IIRC, the Blood Angels are the longest-lived of the Marine Chapters, and even they top out at 1500 years or so. As far as I know, the only living Marine from the time of the Heresy is Bjorn the Fell-Handed, and he's Dreadnought-bound.

where is the source for marines dying of old age? feeling the effects of old age?

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 21:46
I thought it would give the characther some depth that he felt all the years weigh on his mind and begin to ramble to himself about it

Lexington
11-09-2009, 22:05
where is the source for marines dying of old age? feeling the effects of old age?

Right here:

Space Marines rarely show signs of extreme aging until they are over three-hundred years old...
Marines ain't immortal. If it can age, it can die, and Marines can quite clearly age.

What I read in a BL book was that a cruiser was dispatched to guard a warp jump point so I assumed that you had to come out of the warp to jump to another point as a course must be plotted and some stops are enivitable
Fair enough. A series of warp gates would make sense here. Though, as always, don't believe everything you read in a BL novel. ;)

Some marines die to old age but in my opinion, pure first gen geneseed has different properties to that of the newer diluted forms...
I've never run across any reason to believe this. Heck, even the Primarchs weren't immortal.

More, though, I think it's important that the forty-first millennium has lost almost all living memory of the Heresy. To the modern 40K inhabitant, the Horus Heresy is a mythical time of Gods and Demons, fighting across the heavens for the very soul of mankind. The larger narrative remains, but the details have been obscured or lost in the ten-thousand years since. One of the reasons I so detest the Horus Heresy novels (besides the fact that they're poorly-written comic book twaddle) is that it's turned the fantastic into bland, benign reality. Having so many living legends of the Heresy siting around in Space Marine Chapters dilutes the setting in the same way.

The reason the Inquistion was getting involved was to stop them as getting as bad as the BTs which they are also looking into and they are trying to keep the 1000ish marine limit in effect
Well, the Codex Astartes is, as always, a guideline, and even the Ultramarines don't follow it strictly. Having an extra hundred Marines at the ready is probably not going to cause the Inquisition to blink. More, their authority over the Space Marines is ambiguous at best. Remember that the Inquisition isn't a huge, structured bureaucracy so much as several singular agents running around keeping an eye on things.

But, as always, do what you like. ;)

Ghost Warrior
11-09-2009, 22:09
Thanks, I ll take your stuff into consideration and plz keep on like this, no-one seems to want to know any particualar details not wrote down yet though, Review and Request. Ghost out:)

Ghost Warrior
12-09-2009, 08:26
Oh and the reason I think marines can survive from the heresey is the new Salamander book and is quite a good read

kylsnik ironhead
12-09-2009, 09:29
O.k, here's some more

When the so-called Fleet of Annihalation attacked the system, the Chapter was unprepared, the Crusade Fleet was returning from a tour of guard duty around the Malestrom and the elements of all the other companies were scatttered on various campaigns and only the 9th, the Gatekeepers, were deployed in company strength.

The Fleet was made up of many khornate hosts and a Space Hulk filled with corrupted orks, and even more terriffying was the leader of the Fleet, a ex-Salamander known as Mijax Firedevourer and his S.I.C, Varjo, a mysterious figure in black crusade amour in white robes.

They easily destroyed the moon complex, which in the Chapter's arrogance they had failed to keep at optimum strength. They fired the Ork-infested Hulk at it and what wasn't destroyed was hacked apart by tainted orks. One thunderhawk made it to the surface with the garrison from the 3rd in it. No marines were thankfully killed but over the population of the planet, a coven of tech priests and a regment of guard were killed to a man.

The Fleet made for Mymirdion as the Gatekeepers prepared for war and manned the walls and roused the Ancients.

so at one point in their history they had a keep destroyed by Orks, It sounds kind of Like your just ripping of the Crimson Fists I suggest you cut the Orks out of there and replace them with a different type of Xeno

Firaxin
12-09-2009, 17:43
...No.

The Crimson Fists destroyed their own keep while Orks happened to be nearby. The Fists of Myrmidon aren't even fighting orks, they're fighting chaos orks.

Ghost Warrior
13-09-2009, 13:48
So, time for some company info

1st Company

Lord Captain Hektor- A towering giant in terminator amour, who has bested almost all xenos in single combat. His skin is the colour of weathered wood and has had an eye gouged out by a hrud when he couldn't bring up his shield in time. His weapons are an ancient power spear and a tower (storm) shield. He leads from the front and never looks back and is accompanied by two terminator bodyguards armed with matched power swords.

Captian Xanthos- Captain of the Sternguard and is the youngest of all captains in the Chapter. He carries the traditional bolted of the Sterguard and an immense two handed axe gifted to him by a Wolf Lord after a Dragonfire round from his bolter killed a Broodlord who was about to rip off his head.

Captain Demetrios-Captain of the Vanguard and Hero of Virtria. He wears a cloak of Vitrian glass with pride, after he narrowly averted a asteroid destroying the capital by leading the 25 veterans on his strike cruiser to plant melta bombs in strategic positions to blow it up. He wields an ancient pair of lighning claws with a plasma pistol fixed below them.

There are 100 marines curently in service, 25 vanguard veterans, 30 sternguard, 35 terminators and a Libraian battle squad of 10

After seeing a Blood Ravens Battle Psyker squad, they realized it was a brilliant idea and began recruitment of 1 of their own and they are conditioned so they work as a perfect team in battle and a portable artillery team in cases where it cannot be deployed

Because of the significance of the chapter's duty, the Mechanicum provides them with the best of equpment so the 1st have a Land Raider for each squad and 5 Thunderhawks. The techmarines about the 1st''s battle barge maintain 3 stormbirds to be used in the direst of circumstances.

The 1st fleet consists of a battle barge and 3 strike crusiers and any number of ecorst needed.

So, any requests for the next company

Firaxin
13-09-2009, 17:21
Keep going.

BTW, an asteroid big enough to land on isn't gonna be blown up by melta bombs, but you can easily swap that out for a bigger explosive; the larger problem is why didn't their battlebarge/strike cruiser just blow it up?

What's a cloak of vitrian glass?

Ghost Warrior
13-09-2009, 17:35
Melta Charges instead then, Vitrian glass is special glass made on vitria to make amour and is made into cloaks for high ranking officers, the reason they didn't blow it up is that the vanguard veteran strike crusiers has no missiles big enough and is outfitted for speed rastions to threats

Firaxin
13-09-2009, 18:15
Melta Charges instead then, Vitrian glass is special glass made on vitria to make amour and is made into cloaks for high ranking officers, the reason they didn't blow it up is that the vanguard veteran strike crusiers has no missiles big enough and is outfitted for speed rastions to threats
:cries:
Melta charges = melta bombs = explosives ranging in size from your fist to your head.

Single standard torpedo from a strike cruiser = 200+ ft warhead designed to kill kilometer long vessels in 1 hit.

Ghost Warrior
13-09-2009, 21:15
Ah, didn't know that. Oops, I'll think of something, but it's good to see I have at least one dedicated reader

Ghost Warrior
13-09-2009, 21:28
Okay,story of Demeteius saving Virtria

On the day of the summer solstace on Virtria, a large asteriod was spotted on the outskirts of the system, the defence fleet hade been summoned away to take part in the clearing of a system of a genestealer cult and soon it was realized that it was on a direct course for the capital and they couldn't stop it. So a signal was sent and the valiant Captain Demetrios was sent on his speed retrofited strike cruiser to assist.

Ghost Warrior
22-10-2009, 10:51
I'm back with more ideas, so I thought i'd leave it open to you guys, what would you like me to do? Companies, battles, notable members? Requests are great, please

Oldguny
25-10-2009, 14:35
Wow, I like it alot. Keep it going!

Ghost Warrior
25-10-2009, 16:35
Fair enough, at least I'm getting 1 positive review, any requests?

Inquisitor Engel
25-10-2009, 19:01
Melta Charges instead then

Melta-charges aren't going to take anything out either. Maybe cripple some important systems were it a Rok, but nowhere close to an explosion.

Oh and the reason I think marines can survive from the heresey is the new Salamander book and is quite a good read

The exception, not the rule. The Salamander in question was in stasis AND a warp storm, which means for him, it may well have only been 500 years. Space Marines simply can't live as long as you're espousing.

I am an ardent lover of all things Fisty but I have a couple of issues:

The Fists are a proud, yet forgotten chapter, yet they bear it with stotic resolve.

"The Fists" refers to the Imperial Fists, period. The Crimson Fists are always referred to by both words, because the single-name moniker belongs to the First Founding LEGION.

The Chapter Master, Zeydon Thunderheart,

Not a big deal, but the name sounds fairly Nordic or Native American (so Space Wolfy or Dark Angels-ish). Perhaps a translation would help?

led the Fists after the dissolution of the Imperial Fists Leigon in the Secound Founding. The Chapter was made up of the defensive elements and he was the highest ranking marine.

I have a couple of issues here, first, dissolution is the wrong word. It connotes that the legion no longer exists, which it does. The Imperial Fists are the chapter borne of the core remnants of the original legion AND they're one of the primogenitor chapters that possible exercises a legion-level control over their direct successors, not unlike the Ultramarines and Dark Angels.

Second, the Fists were shredded down to a fraction of their legion-strength by the Iron Cage on purpose, the Crimson Fists and Black Templars are the canon 2nd founding chapters created from the original legion. BL background includes the Soul Drinkers as another, but adding another is essentially demeaning the emphasis on blooding and self-sacrifice that the Iron Cage represents.

He is one of the oldest Marine salive and is beginning to feel it as he is prone to wild ramblings about the Return?

If he were alive in the Heresy (which, as discussed, is frankly impossible outside of EXTREME circumstances or patronage by a Chaos diety) he would be THE oldest marine alive and would likely have a place of honour within the Imperium as a whole, not running some "forgotten" chapter on a patrol corridor.

The Inquisition have tried to limit their numbers however the intervention of the High Lord of Terra stopped their protests.

The Inquisition has no say in the size of Space Marine chapters and the Codex Astartes is still technically a voluntary (Space Wolves don't follow it, Black Templars don't, Salamanders don't... the list goes on) system of organization.

The High Lords would likely be the ones not wanting to let Chapters get too big, they'd be the ones with their necks in the guillotines if there were another Heresy. This also doesn't line up with your "proud, yet forgotten chapter" introduction.

Either they have personal favour with the High Lords (who have bigger things to worry about) or they're unknown Marines that no one remembers. Take your pick here.