PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Zoats

Astraeos
10-09-2009, 23:07
I've been wondering about these guys for a while now. I know they appeared in both Fantasy and WH40K where they were the Tyranids slaves (and had imperial weaponry as well as Tyranids armaments), but what were they like rules wise?

Can anyone tell me? And any fluff would be nice too.

TimLeeson
10-09-2009, 23:56
They were revisted in 3rd, well kinda - they were hinted at as a "lost fleet" with stone spacecraft.

Anyhow, this article shoudl give you a good amount of info ;
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zoats

Col_Festus
11-09-2009, 00:06
From what I understand the Zoats were a race that was enslaved by the Tyranids to act as a way of communicating with other races they enslaved. (this was back in rogue trader). They were eventually removed because the Hive mind doesnt negotiate anymore, it just gobbles stuff up. Lemmy see if I can dig up the old fluff here..

ZOATS Zoats are probably a very ancient strain of bio-construct because they share the same six-limbed structure as Tyranids and Genestealers. It is quite likely that this sextrupedal form is derived from the native creatures of the lost Tyranid homeworld in whatever remote galaxy they originally came from. Zoats are robust creatures with thick powerful limbs. Only their upper arms are used to hold or carry things; the lower two pairs are used for movement and have horny toes rather like a rhino.

Zoats have been specially developed so that they can communicate with alien creatures. Their minds are capable of tremendous leaps of logic and they are able to master new languages with astonishing speed. This enables Zoats to act as ambassadors to races taken over by the Tyranids and it also enables the Tyranids to find out about the races they have conquered. No matter how strange or mentally incompatible a race might be, the Zoats can learn how they think and act, and thereby access their true value to the Tyranids. Zoats are also tremendously strong and have thick horny skins. When they unleash their warrior skills they can destroy many times their own number of humans or other races, a feat which may serve to impress upon the defeated creatures just how superior the Tyranids are.

chromedog
11-09-2009, 01:57
Zoats were wiped out by their tyranid 'masters' after they rebelled (the problem with creating 'smart' slaves - sometimes they get too smart - it's a common SF trope).

You could have Zoat mercenaries in RT armies (my eldar had a squad of them. Zoat+vortex grenade was funny. Throw 16", scatter had no chance of hitting you) representing escapees from the hivefleet.

Absolutionis
11-09-2009, 02:53
If Zoats are one of the four 'new' species the Tyranids are supposedly getting, I am going to rage.
I don't want to paint up blasted centaurs in order to make a competitive army.
On the bright side, this may lead to conversion opportunities. Centipede Tyranids anyone?
/rant

Astraeos
11-09-2009, 20:09
Thanks for the info guys, but does anyone know what they were like stats wise?

What Strength, Weapon Skill, Toughness, etc they had?

JHZ
11-09-2009, 21:31
The latest 'Nid codex I believe mentions Hive Fleet Colossus with weird centauroid creatures that were escaping something, and that the fleet was destroyed, as far as the Imperium is concerned.

grissom2006
11-09-2009, 22:04
Thanks for the info guys, but does anyone know what they were like stats wise?

What Strength, Weapon Skill, Toughness, etc they had?

Zoat 5 3 4 5 3 5 2 10 9 9 9

Champion 6 4 5 5 3 6 2 10 9 9 9
Minor hero 7 5 5 6 4 7 3 10 10 10 10
Major hero 8 6 5 6 5 8 4 10 10 10 10

I left out the movement stats with the profiles

Hope that helps you :D They was said to be the most common Tyranid bad in RT days.

totgeboren
11-09-2009, 22:17
I made my own, who can be seen here

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Zoats%20Collossus/

The big ones are the "real" Zoats. I made some smaller ones just because I like the idea at the time. I donīt use them anymore though.

I might use the Ambassador as an Astropath for my renegade Imperial Guards though. :)

sabreu
11-09-2009, 22:50
those are really good totgeboren!

Astraeos
12-09-2009, 16:41
Looking at that stat line Zoats look to be quite nasty in hand to hand combat! And I also noticed you included the values for cool, intelligence and willpower too! Nice one!

Totgeboren, those zoats are excellent, it's shame you can't still get the old Dark Elf cold ones, I have unused Ogres and I'd have loved to make zoats out of them!

Spacker
14-09-2009, 12:25
I'd like to see Zoats make a comeback, as mercenary units for other races - I could get my 4 old RT models back off the shelf and into an army :)

AndrewGPaul
14-09-2009, 12:41
I've been wondering about these guys for a while now. I know they appeared in both Fantasy and WH40K where they were the Tyranids slaves (and had imperial weaponry as well as Tyranids

Actually, no. They used Tyranid biological weaponry. It's just that, at that time, Tyranids used (wierd, fleshy) boltguns and missile launchers like everybody else.

The Eldar Pirate list in Chapter Approved featured a unit of them as the Eldar Pirate Lord's bodyguard.

Born Again
14-09-2009, 14:14
I made my own, who can be seen here

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Zoats%20Collossus/

The big ones are the "real" Zoats. I made some smaller ones just because I like the idea at the time. I donīt use them anymore though.

I might use the Ambassador as an Astropath for my renegade Imperial Guards though. :)

Those conversions are awesome, well done. The keep the classic look of Zoats but in a much more modern style to fit with current models.

totgeboren
14-09-2009, 19:06
Thanks alot for all the compliments! I even made a pdf with pics and rules made from the Creature Feature article and the Nids codex (though I dont have it avalible on the web now.). Zoats rule! ;D

slade the slaughter
23-09-2009, 12:04
You could warrior statlines and bio morph options to create descent zoats,
also converting them is not to hard.
Heres mine
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj249/boomer_080/humanids%20-%20finals/14082008429.jpg

Astraeos
23-09-2009, 20:23
Are those the new Cold Ones you're using there? I did think about buying the Saurus cavalry box but after looking at the pictures on the site, I thought the Saurus' torsos looked a bit too slim to sit on the base of the Cold One's neck.

spetswalshe
23-09-2009, 20:45
Both lots of Zoats look awesome to me, Totge's especially since the look like a properly intergrated Tyranid slave species.

HsojVvad
24-09-2009, 21:14
Zoats were wiped out by their tyranid 'masters' after they rebelled (the problem with creating 'smart' slaves - sometimes they get too smart - it's a common SF trope).

Sort of incorect. JHZ is correct. If you read the Tyranid codex 4th edtion, you read that a centaur race was escaping the Tyranids. I assume they are the Zoats,so you get the idea, that the Zoats were running away (or acted like they were running away) from the Tyranid Masters and escaping them, The Imperium caught up to them, found out their original intent and wiped them out. So it was the Imperium who wiped them out, not the Tyranids.

Col. Tartleton
24-09-2009, 21:55
They're pretty much Dragon Ogres in space. Could definately get a cool list if they updated them body and mind.

Giant Hexapedal reptilian warriors from the rim of the galaxy who use combination of genetic engineering and coventional weapons to overcome their enemies.

Karhedron
24-09-2009, 23:07
The Imperium caught up to them, found out their original intent and wiped them out. So it was the Imperium who wiped them out, not the Tyranids.
Sort of galactic karma for the Nids eating the Squats. :p

HsojVvad
24-09-2009, 23:54
Sort of galactic karma for the Nids eating the Squats. :p

Hehe, yeah I never thought of that lol. Well I hope they both make a come back soon.

Astraeos
25-09-2009, 00:22
It'd be pretty cool to see both Squats and Zoats return, and maybe even Imperial Beastmen, but it is probably unlikely. I would like to see Zoats in the next Tau book though, I'd happily dig out my old army for them!

HsojVvad
25-09-2009, 02:17
I would like to see Zoats in the next Tau book though, I'd happily dig out my old army for them!

Would that mean if the Tau went up agaisnt Tyranids and Zoats were in there, would the Tyranid player get to control them then? Since the Tyranids were able to control them, would they still be able to control them? :cheese:

darker4308
25-09-2009, 04:20
I think it's pretty well understood by all that Zoats are gone and not comming back. I think they are even more "gone" than squats.

EDIT - Wasn't there a battle report in Firebase with them a while ago ?

BajsArne
25-09-2009, 08:55
That's what they want you to think. They will come back, and bring their own slave race, the space fimir.

Valtiel
25-09-2009, 09:10
Space Fimir, OOOOOOOH YEAH!

Anyway, a friend of mine suggested that one of the new races in the Tyranid codex could very well be Zoats, or maybe a Tyranid creature based on the Zoats' genetic material. Would be cool in some way but I am not sure if it might happen since the Zoats seems to have been destroyed by the Tyranids and the Imperium when their fleet entered the galaxy.

Karhedron
25-09-2009, 11:16
The problem is that Zoats don't fit very well with the new Tyrannid fluff. Nids don't need to negotiate or understand their food. They just eat, end of story. I have no problem with the idea of a centauroid figure being reintroduced, I would imagine it would be in different tactical role.

The only other possibilty is the there will be some option for Nids operating away from the bulk of the Hive fleet using stealth and cunning to infiltrate a planet from the bottom up rather than a top down invasion. I could see a role for sentient Zoat creatures here, trouble is that sort of idea has already been used for Genestealers.

Sunyavadin
25-09-2009, 11:18
My Tyrant Guard are Zoats...

Astraeos
27-09-2009, 23:37
Perhaps they could operate independently from the hive fleets but in a different manner to Genestealers.

They could approach other races like they did the Imperium, gather intelligence on them through a faked mutual relationship then telepathically relay their fidning to the Hive Fleets while still posing as allies.
Then, when the Fleets turn up the Zoats either move on to the next race before the Nids attack or cast aside their faked alliance and attack.

But if they were a separate enslaved race then maybe some survivors managed to sever their bonds to the Hive Mind, where they eventually find shelter with another race perhaps the Tau as I previously mentioned.