View Full Version : What aspect warriors

ThePrecious
11-09-2009, 01:05
Hi all, I'm planning on purchasing some eldar. Right now I have:

Wraithlord
Farseer/warlock
5 rangers

I am planning on getting

Battleforce- possibly selling the walker, converting the guardians to dire avengers

1 box of aspect warriors

My question is what aspect warriors should i buy? I am on a very limited amount of money and have it worked out to about 1000 pts if I buy some.

I am open to any aspects and opinions of how I should use them.

sroblin
11-09-2009, 01:15
The units you all have are already pretty shooting oriented, so I would suggest getting some of the close-combat aspects warriors; scorpions and howling banshees are both excellent units (the relative of merits of which are endlessly debated.) Scorpions can use infiltration, but the Howling Banshees may work better with transport. Harlequins are excellent too, though more expensive and not 'Aspect' warriors.

If neither of these interest you, both the Fire Dragons, Dark Reapers, and Warp Spiders are popular, though their utility can be a bit more niche. Shining Spears can also be quite powerful, though expensive. Swooping Hawks are neat and all, but not really that useful for a small force and even more niche than the others.

12345_7
11-09-2009, 01:16
You might want to buy two more warlocks if you aren't going to use the guardians, but aside from that, maybe some Banshees or Scorpions. It all depends on what you are facing. Hordes - Scorpions MEQ - Banshees You could also choose Harlequins and a Shadowseer as an alternative.

darker4308
11-09-2009, 01:21
You want fire dragons.

primarch16
11-09-2009, 01:27
I'd recomend striking scorpians, infiltrate, durable and high strength.

Absolutionis
11-09-2009, 01:39
I second that you want Fire Dragons.
Other than that you want Dire Avengers and Scorpions/Banshees (your call).

Personally, in that battleforce, you may want to keep that War Walker. Hell, I'll buy the War Walker if you don't want it.

ThePrecious
11-09-2009, 04:08
I have been wondering what the advantages of the three close combat aspects are. I know scorpions kill hordes and banshees take away saves, but what about harlequins and what are the other benefits of the units?

hawo0313
11-09-2009, 05:02
I think that Dark reapers are a must have for thier large amount of shots, high strength, good AP and long range. Other than that Dire avengers are a definate must and harlequins are fast survivable and can take fusion pistols. Other than these you probably need howling banshees/scorpians but its hard to tell which one as you dont have many models yet and you can really go in any direction. Just a question are you taking a mechanized force or swordwind.

Duce
11-09-2009, 09:27
Fire drgons for some anti tank.

Karhedron
11-09-2009, 12:35
I have been wondering what the advantages of the three close combat aspects are. I know scorpions kill hordes and banshees take away saves, but what about harlequins and what are the other benefits of the units?
Harlequins excel against low-number high power opponents, particularly monstrous creatures. Their combination of Rending and an invulnerable save means they can take down real heavy hitters. My opponent's Deamon Princes really fear them (patricularly when combined with Doom).

They can also put the hurt on MEQs (rending again) and hordes (good number of S4, WS5 attacks on the charge). Where they suffer is against big units. They are only T3 with a 5+ save and if they fail to break a unit on the turn they charge they will almost certainly lose a lot of expensive models, even against mediocre CC opponents.

If you need to be able to hang tough in a battle of attrition, avoid Harlequins. If your opponents likes MCs or other powerful units they can do very well.

e2055261
11-09-2009, 12:58
My personal preference would be for some dark reapers but I know very little about eldar. The range an high Ap appeals to me somewhat.

Sildani
11-09-2009, 14:25
But the high occurrence of 4+ cover negates that more than a little.

As to your Aspects, perhaps the most well-rounded ones are Warp Spiders. Great shooting, great mobility, a decent armor save, and the Exarch is okay at CC (although I wouldn't do that by choice). They're point-expensive, but can do most anything you ask of them, and work equally well in a mechanized list or in a footslogger list.

Karhedron: long time. Good to see you again.

Vedar
11-09-2009, 17:21
What aspect you pick should be based around what tactic you want to use.

I have always liked scorpions. The power claw exarch is a must. With 3+ armor, STR4 and 4 attacks on the charge the basic scorpion is a solid unit.

Banshees are a little more specialized. 4+ armor, 3 attacks on the charge with STR3.... but with power weapons. While that sounds great STR3 attacks wound T4 on a 5+. They are great for taking out 2/3+ armor (without stormshields) but tend to die pretty quick being T3 with a 4+ save. Best used from a Serpent.

Dark Reapers I used to like but have 2 major drawbacks.

They are static and can't move and shoot. Since you can't move them you need to put them in a good firing position and in 5th with all the flanking and DSing (droppods) it is really easy to kill 5 T3 3+ armored eldar.

The other major drawback is in 5th everything gets a 4+ cover save making those AP3 weapon not really worth the cost.

Warp spiders, Shining Spear and hawks are all overcosted in my book.
Harlequins are only average after the 5th ed rending nerf and not that great in small games.

Fire dragon are quite good, but best used from a serpent as the only have a 12" range.

I like walkers myself. 3 walkers w\scatter lasers = 24 STR 6 shots = 12 Hits+guide = 18 STR6 hits = (on most units wounding on 2+) 15 saves. If you shoot anti tank weapons at my 60ish point walker you are not shooting at my serpents.

Irisado
11-09-2009, 20:43
What aspect you pick should be based around what tactic you want to use.

I have always liked scorpions. The power claw exarch is a must. With 3+ armor, STR4 and 4 attacks on the charge the basic scorpion is a solid unit.

Banshees are a little more specialized. 4+ armor, 3 attacks on the charge with STR3.... but with power weapons. While that sounds great STR3 attacks wound T4 on a 5+. They are great for taking out 2/3+ armor (without stormshields) but tend to die pretty quick being T3 with a 4+ save. Best used from a Serpent.

Dark Reapers I used to like but have 2 major drawbacks.

They are static and can't move and shoot. Since you can't move them you need to put them in a good firing position and in 5th with all the flanking and DSing (droppods) it is really easy to kill 5 T3 3+ armored eldar.

The other major drawback is in 5th everything gets a 4+ cover save making those AP3 weapon not really worth the cost.

I completely agree with all of that.

ThePrecious: (I suddenly feel like watching Lord of the Rings ;)) The problem with choosing any Aspect which requires a Wave Serpent is that you need two Wave Serpents in my experience, since one is too easily down. If you don't want to get two Wave Serpents, therefore, I suggest avoiding Aspect choices which need to ride in them (e.g. Fire Dragons and Howling Banshees).

Striking Scorpions work well on foot in my experience, and are effective against a wide variety of opposition, so they seem like the best all round choice for this list to me.

For a more in depth analysis of all the different Aspects, feel free to take a look at the Eldar Guide (link via my signature).

ThePrecious
12-09-2009, 21:46
I think that Dark reapers are a must have for thier large amount of shots, high strength, good AP and long range. Other than that Dire avengers are a definate must and harlequins are fast survivable and can take fusion pistols. Other than these you probably need howling banshees/scorpians but its hard to tell which one as you dont have many models yet and you can really go in any direction. Just a question are you taking a mechanized force or swordwind.

I can guess that mechanized involves alot of aspects in transports, but what is swordwind and how does it work?

Irisado
12-09-2009, 21:51
Swordwind is a form of a Biel Tan list which includes a lot of Aspect Warriors relative to other unit choices.

ThePrecious
12-09-2009, 22:20
Then I wil probably end up with stormwind