PDA

View Full Version : Hlokks "SG1: Chronicals" rules, initial ideas.

Hlokk
14-01-2006, 15:42
right, lets get 2 things straight:

Stargate SG1 kicks ass
Gaming kicks ass

So what would kick even more ass? Surely a game based on Stargate SG1?

The premise of the game is that its going to be a D10, skirmish level game. The effects of the game are going to be rigged so that its a bit more cinematic than your average game of 40k, ie: loads of explosions, more people dying, that sort of thing.

First of all,Stat line will read as such:

Move: How far something can move
Stamina: How much extra energy the model has
Close combat value: How hard something is in combat
Marksmanship: How well someone can shoot
Sagicity: how intelligent someone is
Bottle: How likely someone is to leg it
hit Points: How hard someone is
Armour Value: how good someones armour is
Carrying Capacity: How much stuff they can carry

Weapons will have these stats
Range: how far they can shoot
Marksmanship mod: how easily or difficult the weapons are to handle.
Damage: How much damage the weapon does
Area of Effect: How widespread the damage is (using the target as a centre, measure out from them in inches and this is the AoE)

Turn sequence will go as follows:

Players roll for priority ala LotR. Dice rolls are modified by the armies strategy rating. Winner becomes Player A
Player A moves all models
Player B moves all models
Player A shoots 1 model with highest SG value (in event of draw, player pics)
Player B shoots 1 model with hiest Sg value (in event of draw, player pics)
Carry on shooting in order
Player A assault
Player B assault
Player A End of turn phase
Player B End of turn phase

Movement

there will be 4 types of movement

Move: Move up to your Mv value
Run: Move up to MV Value plus 1/2 Stamina in inches. Stamina based tests later in turn at -3 modifier
Sprint: Move at double stamina value. Automatically fails any stamina based tests for the rest of the turn. +1 for enemy models to hit in shooting.
Sneak: Move up to 1/2 Mv value. Enemy must pass Sagacity test to shoot at model

Shooting:

Models will roll to hit by rolling equal or under their Marksmanship value.
Damage will be calculated like this

Damage value of weapon - Armour value of model= damage model takes. This value is deducted from the models HP value, if their Hit Points fall below or equal to 0, their dead.

Guns will be a lot stronger than your used to seeing in 40k. To be honest, lasgun, a weapon designed for killing stuff, only kills the weakest infantry in the game on a 4+ :wtf: Damage inflicted by shooting will be very severe.

Combat:

Hand to hand combat isnt the emphasis of SG1, thus your only going to see a little bit of it. basically it'll be the combat value of each model (modified by weapon modifiers) compared, the highest one wins and the loser has the points difference subtracted from their HP value.

Armies:

As it stands, the armies will be as follows:

SG personnel
4 man teams. Will have access to loads of weapons (different assault rifles etc) with support staff.

Tok'ra
Probably will have special rules for affecting enemy deployment. High points cost, rock hard characters.

Jaffa resistance
Only access to P90s, suicide bombers, Tzats and staff weapons. disposable infantry.

Rie'tou
Erm, help!!!

Gould
Loads of infatry, limited weapons. Can call on air strikes (Death gliders, shuttles and bombers)

Replicators.
Will take some liberties here and try to develop them into a playable race

The other armies dont really play that big a part in the series for me to include them.

So how does this sound? any ideas, comments or proposals of marriage?

marineowar
15-01-2006, 14:49
The only real ideas I have are for sprinting; movement + stamina in inches, may not sneak in next turn.

Unfortunately I haven't seen Stargate in ages (not my fault, blame oz TV) so I don't remember too much about the different races. Good luck with your noble quest.

marineowar

Sybaronde
15-01-2006, 23:07
I like the idea of a Stargate tabletop game (I was actually thinking of adapting Close Quarters to the premise of Stargate). I'm a big fan of Stargate: Atlantis and SG1, so this is pretty interesting.

Upping the deadliness of guns is a wise choice, which I'd definatly do as well.

As for the skills for shooting/fighting, you could compress it into just a single Combat Skill which has values like 4+/6+ (D10, right?), where the first is for firing small arms and the other is for attempting to hit an opponent with your fist, energy staff or knife.

Further more, you don't seem to indicate that melee skills 'interact'. I.e. if a SGC Trooper was less skilled in martial combat then a Tok'ra Infiltrator, then the SGC Trooper still hits on his fixed value, and the Tok'ra Infiltrator on his value. What I like about 40k is that it represents (perhaps a bit sluggishly) that when they attempt to hit, they actually are parried and so on because of the opponent's efforts.

Furthermore, I think it's spelled Goa'uld and you could call them as a faction: "The Goa'uld System Lords" since the Tok'ra are also goa'uld, despite how little they like to hear it.

Additionally, I'd like to see ASGC (Atlantis Stargate Command), the Wraith and the Genii if you get the time to make 'em.

Good luck!

Hlokk
15-01-2006, 23:35
Further more, you don't seem to indicate that melee skills 'interact'. I.e. if a SGC Trooper was less skilled in martial combat then a Tok'ra Infiltrator, then the SGC Trooper still hits on his fixed value, and the Tok'ra Infiltrator on his value. What I like about 40k is that it represents (perhaps a bit sluggishly) that when they attempt to hit, they actually are parried and so on because of the opponent's efforts.

I see it working like this:

SG1 trooper has Combat value of 4 and 6 HP
Lord Yu's First Prime has a combat value of 7 and 7HP

SG1 trooper is armed with rifle butt (+0)
First Prime trooper is armed with Katana (+2)

SG1 troopers total is 4
First Primes total is 9

SG1 trooper looses 5 HPs from his HP value.

Basically, it'll work like that to encourage people to stay out of combat. rather than the 40k/WHFB methof of underwater kungfu.

also, you might have noticed the lack of any sort of "To hit" roll, thats simply because, if you get hit by a gun, its going to hurt.

Sybaronde
16-01-2006, 01:44
also, you might have noticed the lack of any sort of "To hit" roll, thats simply because, if you get hit by a gun, its going to hurt.

Indeed, if you get hit by a gun. I take it you're making a system which is less based on luck then (i.e. little or no dice rolling)?

Grand Master Belial
16-01-2006, 13:55
What about Zat's and the Wraith Weapons which incapacitate but don't kill?

Then,you have the Anubis Super Soldiers (Krull?) that can only be killed by one type of weapon only.

Will there be cover modifiers?

Hlokk
17-01-2006, 21:58
Indeed, if you get hit by a gun. I take it you're making a system which is less based on luck then (i.e. little or no dice rolling)?
Indeed, 1 dice roll and thats it

I never got the armour roles in 40k. I think they should reduce damange, not nulify it completely when certain criteria are met.

@ Belial: The Krull are going to be VERY expencive, and anti krull weapons will be available to SG teams, Tokra and other armies, but limited to 0-1 per army.

Cover saves will add to armour values ie: A bush will add 1 to armour, a brick wall will add 3 etc.

Hadnt thought about stunn weapons, any suggestions?