PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting

The_O
11-09-2009, 04:39
I just came into some models that I would like to repaint. Doesn't look like the units were undercoated, just painted on bare plastic. Was wounder what the best way to go out this way, just paint over the old paint? undercoat them? paint thinner?
Thanks.

BattleofLund
11-09-2009, 05:35
To begin with, I would try (re-)undercoating it. If this goes well/looks good, just paint from there as normal.

If the paint looks thick (ie even half-way obscures detail in a way you find irritating) before or after the new undercoat, remove it. The paint-removing stuff I use has contents listed as 'Etanol, 2-propanol' - for plastic, do not use acetone or stronger as it will melt the plastic.

Lijacote
11-09-2009, 05:36
If you don't want your paint looking thick, you could just clean the models up with some Simple Green or whatever your brand of that stuff is over there.

kyinpie
11-09-2009, 15:50
To begin with, I would try (re-)undercoating it. If this goes well/looks good, just paint from there as normal.

If the paint looks thick (ie even half-way obscures detail in a way you find irritating) before or after the new undercoat, remove it. The paint-removing stuff I use has contents listed as 'Etanol, 2-propanol' - for plastic, do not use acetone or stronger as it will melt the plastic.

i remember getting on old space ork dreadnought from ebay, very badly painted, but a lovly model. so me thinking it was metal put the whole model, base and all, into some strong paint striper. next morning the base is a very odd shap indeed, also the dreadnought wasn't what i thought, it was custom made model with bits of plastic, cardboard etc and all the plastic melted, the cardboard disintergrated and the pant striper also striped all the glue!! the model was completly ruined!!! it was a very nice model too!!!

TheSil
11-09-2009, 16:43
I would just paint over them

I have re-painted among other things about 60 skinks and 70 state troopers and it did not make any difference at all that they were already painted.
If anything it was easier because I could leave stuff like the teeth, human skin or bases intact.

Also now that they already have paint on them a new undercoat would be of little use in my opinion.

The only advantage of removing the paint I can think of is that you think the paint is too thick already... which should only happen if someone put waaay too much paint on them instead of painting them properly, because you can paint over a miniature about 10 times without obscurring any detail afaik