PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms in Ard' Boyz need some advice

Nukem
11-09-2009, 05:57
"This is in the right forum correct? I haven't posted to the fantasy forums in quite sometime."

So I can tell already by the title of this thread that it will laughed upon and I will be the first to admit that it will more likely than not end my fantasy ard boyz run in the first round, however I do like a challenge and to me the Ogre's present a tough challenge. (more so than usual lol)

Well to start off this will be my first season of trying in the ard boyz. I got my first taste with 40k ard boyz and ended up going to semi-finals up in CO Springs, which was a nice test to say the least. I faced many armies I never faced before in my small gaming club in New Mexico so it was indeed a learning experience.

So back to the main topic, I wanted to give the fantasy ard boyz a go with the Ogres, now that being said the Ogres are a very sub-par army to say the least. Their low WS coupled with their lack of armor and numbers really knocks them down, and in a tournament setting.. well yeah lol.

So mainly being an IG player my normal tactic of brute strength I want to carry over into my Ogre army, and this is what ogres can do quite well.

I was going over some of the ard boyz lists in the army section just to get an idea of what armies and what type of lists I would be playing against. My conclusion came to Zilla lists and extremely powerful magic, i.e VC 20+ pd etc etc.

The ways I saw the counter some of these within the ogre codex were the gnoblar thiefstones, greatskull and the rune maw banner. To counter heavy creature lists, the siegebreaker and tenderizer are a must. However again another road block in the form of my Tyrant being challenged and getting cut down before he even has a chance to use his weapon (obviously not against a Bloodthirster lol). I was thinking of using a semi defensive gear setup with "Deathcheater" and the "Sprangleshard" and either the siegebreaker or tenderizer. I think deathcheater could keep him around a turn in order to bring his weapon down and hopefully win the combat.

The 2 biggest problems come along in the form of what type of ogre units would be beneficial in a tourney like this along with the character set up. I was wanting to go with 2 hunters for large target hunting, but was worried it would nuke my offensive magic which is must to keep these tards in line.

Any ideas out there that could help me form a list that will be fun to play and maybe give someone a good game? I wouldn't mind playing the spoiler lol.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Colin

zeekill
11-09-2009, 19:56
Take the Skrag the Slaughterer special character and 8 gorgers. Possibly one of the best cheezy lists ever made.

artyboy
12-09-2009, 14:06
I'd probably go with the Skrag list, too. Here's a list off the top of my head. I might drop the hunter for another butcher if I were going to play the list but you sound like you've got your heart set on using one.

400 Skrag

311 Tyrant - heavy armor, 2 lucky gnoblars, Tenderizer, Gut Maw, Fistful of Laurels

195 Hunter - Greyback pelt, gnoblar thiefstone

190 Butcher - 2 tooth gnoblars, grut's sickle, gnoblar thiefstone

190 Butcher - 2 tooth gnoblars, dispel scroll, Bangstick

190 Butcher - 2 tooth gnoblars, dispel scroll, halfling cookbook

115 3 Bulls - Bellower

115 3 Bulls - Bellower

154 3 Ironguts - Bellower

202 4 Ironguts - Bellower

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

175 Slave Giant

TigToad
12-09-2009, 15:30
I've been playing Ogres in tournaments for a couple years. My win/loss with them is about 60%.. which isn't great, but its not bad for ogres. I wouldn't personally go with the Skrag list, but it could be the best in a high cheese environment. So I'm going to use the list below and make a few suggestions.

drop 2 gorgers.. 8 is plenty (+150)
drop the slave giant (+175). He's just not worth it without stubborn and those chains suck
Drop the hunter (+195) he's just not worth it ever. If you don't drop the hunter, your list is illegal, as only one model can have thiefstones (they can have up to 3, but it is not like dispell scrolls in that multiple models can have them). I'd drop the sickle and the cookbook, too. Not worth the points.
Tyrant - can only have 1 luck gnoblar. You can take a sword gnoblar or two as well, but thats up to you. I usually want my tyrant in challenges and its rare a str 2 attack helps against opposing characters.

If you have 2 units of bulls, take two units of gnoblars (-80). If all they do is sit in the backfield and take table quarters, they did their job.
I'd add a unit of yhetees (-195). I like the unit that can move into terrain and charge from it. It helps me out a lot.

More ironguts. I prefer ironguts in units of 4 with a bellower (-202). While 'naked bulls' are the preference of the day.. i do like extra hand weapons for them for 12 points, you get 3 attacks. I still end up using the ogre clubs against knights a lot, but extra attacks against everyone else is nice.

Good luck, sir!

I'd probably go with the Skrag list, too. Here's a list off the top of my head. I might drop the hunter for another butcher if I were going to play the list but you sound like you've got your heart set on using one.

400 Skrag

311 Tyrant - heavy armor, 2 lucky gnoblars, Tenderizer, Gut Maw, Fistful of Laurels

195 Hunter - Greyback pelt, gnoblar thiefstone

190 Butcher - 2 tooth gnoblars, grut's sickle, gnoblar thiefstone

190 Butcher - 2 tooth gnoblars, dispel scroll, Bangstick

190 Butcher - 2 tooth gnoblars, dispel scroll, halfling cookbook

115 3 Bulls - Bellower

115 3 Bulls - Bellower

154 3 Ironguts - Bellower

202 4 Ironguts - Bellower

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

150 2 Gorgers

175 Slave Giant

Nukem
12-09-2009, 22:19
Thanks for the responses, I was leaning towards using Skrag with 6 to 8 gorgers, but wasn't too sure how effective it could be. Do you think it could even stand a chance against the Über daemon armies?

The reason why I wanted to take hunters was to try and hurt Large targets at range so my combat units might have an easier time dealing with them. (This was meant for mostly deamons. I think the tyrant can take on dragons and do well, but nuking the magic weapon really hurts)

Another option is dropping the hunter for a bruiser BSB, I've never actually used one before but the reroll could prove a nice addition with the ogres par LD.

The one nice thing I do like about the slavegiant is that he can flee from a change if I remember correctly because of the "broken" rule however I don't see just one really proving all that game changing. I see him getting shot to death before he even reaches the lines.

I will using the two units of gnoblars just to sit and cheer in the back, and I have killed a few fast cav models to make them run before with their broken bottles so for 40 points you cant ask for more imo lol.

Opinions about using Maneaters or leadbelchers for flank guarding? I know leadbelchers can make a mess of small flanking units just with two. It might be an option at 110pts.

To be honest I think this list has potential against everything except a daemon army, as I have my own daemon army and I know how retarded they can be, but you never know lol I've lost my bloodthirster to an imperial guardsman before in combat :p

Again thanks for the help, I'm hoping to do ok in the tourney, just going for the hell of it lol

Cheers,
Colin