PDA

View Full Version : Ogres as Blood Crushers???

Getifa Ubazza
11-09-2009, 07:51
I'm doing a Khorne style Daemon army and although the Bloodcrusher model is nice, I fancied doing something abit differant. So what I came up with was using Ogres from the Fantasy Ogre Kingdom army.

I know this is far from unique, But was just wondering if people would have a problem with them being used in this way?

I do plan on doing some basic converting/filing, to make them fit more with Khorne. Tattooing will be used as the most striking pointer to Khorne.

Thanks

Getifa

Max1mum
11-09-2009, 07:56
...somebody might ask you 'what are those'

and you would say 'bloodcrushers' and they will most likely say "oo, that's a cool conversion"

:P at least that's the reply they should give. if they say "i'm not playing that" then they can bite me ;-), you and everybody else with a scrap of imagination and drive for creativety :P.

They have the right base size, and if you give them the loving a army deserves i think its a grand idea ;-)

CrownAxe
11-09-2009, 08:05
AS usual, tell your opponent's before hand and it should be fine

And give them the 60mm base they're due for

Narf
11-09-2009, 09:37
if you can grab the old dragon ogre models from somewhere use them, my friend has 8 and runs them as 2 units, he's got them on the warhammer sqare base though, but has attached some plastic to the underside to map out the dimesion's of the 40k round base

pookie
11-09-2009, 13:22
no problem, but as we will never game, then i dont care :D

personally ask you gaming group, only they will say wether they would accept these as 'counts as'

x-esiv-4c
11-09-2009, 13:31
Damn fine idea! Might use it actually....
*stolen*

Hellebore
11-09-2009, 13:32
Sounds cool. You should probably use the ogre Iron guts. The two handed weapons and helmets/armour would make them look more like the juggernaut - heavy hitters.

Personally I reckon you should paint them red, make them massive ogre daemons.

Hellebore

Getifa Ubazza
11-09-2009, 14:38
Sounds cool. You should probably use the ogre Iron guts. The two handed weapons and helmets/armour would make them look more like the juggernaut - heavy hitters.

Personally I reckon you should paint them red, make them massive ogre daemons.

HelleboreI was planning on taking parts from the Ironguts and Bulls in order to make each Crusher unique, In the same way the new Space Hulk Termies are. I'm going to stick with Brass weapons and leave the stone ones aside. This is purely my own view on how the models should be built. I'm sure others will disagree.

Not sure if I wan't to paint them red. I also plan on using Chaos Hounds as Flesh Hounds. Although the army will have alot of red, it will mostly be used for things like trousers on the Chrushers and the armour on my Soul Grinders.

Here is the basic list.

Blood Thirster

8 Blood Chrushers

48 Blood Letters

8 Flesh Hounds

3 Soul Grinders.

It comes to around 1500pts.

JHZ
11-09-2009, 16:00
Why not? After all, in 40K it's just a single statline, so it doesn't matter whether it's a single model or 55 little models riding one big model (or one model riding 55 little models). And I've had people ask me "whud iz dat" even with GW models, because I don't always play with Marines (the joke: Everyone knows everything there is to know about Marines, but not everyone knows every little detail about armies like Witch Hunters or Dark Eldar), so that shouldn't be some big stepping stone, and after a few games, unless your opponent isn't a thick in the head or just an utter dick, he or she will remember that those big monsters are Blood Crushers.

Also, I know plenty of people in WHFB who use their old Blood Beast models as Blood Crushers. I use my old Pleasureseeker models as Fiends, since I'm not gonna pay crazy GW money for a set of new models when I already got perfectly good models, albeit they're not what they used to be (they're even better now, which is a little chocker for me regarding GW changes).

Darnok
11-09-2009, 16:58
I used a couple of Ironguts to proxy Bloodcrushers, and it didn't look that bad. But in the long run I prefer the original models.

DaR
11-09-2009, 17:03
I use Ogres in my Chaos Demon army.

But as Khorne-themed Plaguebearers, not as Bloodcrushers. The bulk gives a nice impression of T5 and Feel no Pain. I stuck with the basic sword arms and Iron Fists for basic troopers to represent the plagueswords, and then used Iron Guts for those upgraded with Noxious Touch. For the conversion I cut a pair of sockets in each face with a ball cutter bit and a dremel and glued in a horn made from leftover spawn bits and a single eye also from spawn bits (or rolled out of greenstuff, as I didn't have quite enough spawn eyes). To complete the conversion, I smoothed a little green stuff around the sockets. Took me an afternoon to convert 30 of 'em. An ogre will fit on a 25mm base (just barely), but I ended up putting them on 30mm bases (obtained from http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=basing ), which fits just perfectly.

I'm also using Leadbelchers to do Flamer of Tzeentch conversions. Not quite finished with these yet, but I'm planning on using the wings from the Chaos Space Marine Possessed box set, assuming I can find them in reasonable bulk for a not ridiculous price.

Getting a conversion idea for Bloodcrushers that worked took me a little bit of effort.

Given that Bloodcrushers come on the 65mm size bases, I found a single ogre just looked lonely very standing in the middle of it. Attempts to put 2 (to represent the 2 wounds) didn't look much better and caused my opponents some confusion about what the mechanics were (2 with 2 wounds? 2 with 1 wound? if I do a wound, do they lose attacks?). My next attempt was using the new plastic LotR mordor trolls for bloodcrushers, but that turned out to be fairly expensive (same price as the metal bloodcrushers), and they were a little too big. They ended up being mistaken for demon princes or heralds instead of regular bloodcrushers.

In the end, I settled on using bloodletters riding on the new Dark Elf Cold Ones. That turned out to be both the cheapest and best looking option yet. $66 for 10 models (1 $22 box of 10 bloodletters, 2 $22 boxes of Cold One Riders). The conversion is surprisingly easy, just drop a blob of greenstuff on top of the saddle and push both legs and the torso into it. If you do it right, there won't even be much of any greenstuff really visible to smooth out. Simple, no fuss from any opponents, and keeps the theme.

You could probably do the same thing with the new Chaos Knight plastics.

primarch16
11-09-2009, 17:06
Its a nice idea, but I think they would look really small on a 60mm base. I'd let you do it no problem, but I just think the unit would look very big with some very small models. Like representing nurglings as plaguebearers and putting them on 25mm bases.

jsullivanlaw
11-09-2009, 18:32
If you are just doing it to save money then its kind of lame really. Ogres aren't daemons. Bloodletters on cold ones doesn't make much sense as bloodcrushers are supposed to be slow but damn tough because of the giant robotic rhinoceros. I'd still play you but i would look down on you secretly.

JHZ
11-09-2009, 19:47
Ogres aren't daemons.
Daemons come in all shapes and sizes. There are more daemons out there that are listed in between the covers of the codex and as such you can always play your ogres as something else, such as Blood Beasts or a number of other big Khorne daemons.

Don't knock them until you see the actual models.

Bloodletters on cold ones doesn't make much sense as bloodcrushers are supposed to be slow but damn tough because of the giant robotic rhinoceros.
But not all lizards are quick. And Krootox riders are also Infantry, ergo "slow".

I'd still play you but i would look down on you secretly.
Always a fun attitude to have in a friendly game played for fun.

But I guess not that uncommon. I've had some conversions and models that people across the internets have said they'd pick up their models and walk right out the door if they saw what I was putting down, but so far no one I've played has done so or even frowned at my models, so I put it down to "hot air".

sabreu
11-09-2009, 19:53
I've seen blood letters on ork bikes before, counting as blood crushers. Awesome conversation!

As far as ogres go, I say do it and post up pics when your done!

TeddyC
11-09-2009, 20:54
as long as its a decent conversion and not a 'proxy'.

Ironguts with mor armour (and spikes) would be awesome....

@jsullivanlaw

Really? as said a daemon isnt just exactly whats been said and properly converted ironguts would fit well with juggernaut fluff.

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-09-2009, 22:29
I've seen somebody do this before, but instead of plain ogres, he actually converted Ogre centaurs. They were on Fantasy-scale Bloodcrusher bases, but as I was using Black Templars at the time, the "template-based weapons" argument was largely moot anyway.

If you want to convert Bloodcrushers and not get looked down upon, at least make 'em the right scale. (Remember, we use True Line of Sight now.) Using just Ogres on 60mm bases isn't really much better than putting cardboard cutouts on 60mm bases and saying "oh those are Bloodcrushers, they're just possessing old cereal boxes right now".

At this rate, the guys who use actual Bloodcrusher models are in the heavy minority. Stupid metal $30 single models... money-grubbing GW... makes the coolest army in the game so ungodly expensive... :mad: Largely though, I can't really say much about people who use proxies to save money. For my Daemons, I use Beastmen Gors (whichever the big muscular ones are) as Plaguebearers, but at least they're the right scale, and I WYSIWYGed all the upgrades appropriately. I would expect the same from anybody else.

Cypher, the Emperor
12-09-2009, 10:10
If you do use Ogres, I would base them standing on large rocks or something like that, just to make them look larger. Its a good illusion that works when using undersized models.

Fay_Redd
12-09-2009, 10:26
I had this same plan, I had the idea of using Gorgers. They look the most bestial of the ogre range, very bloodcrusher like.

Clang
12-09-2009, 22:06
Ogre centaurs woud be very cool, and would solve the 'model looks too small for the base' problem. Certainly worth having a think about how easy/hard it would be to convert 2 plastic ogres into a centaur. Hmm, the legs need to become bestial (at least, a centaur wearing 2 pairs of trousers seems a bit silly to me!)- probably solved by adding greenstuff shaggy fur and cutting the shoes down into iron-shod hooves. And if the shaggy look is ok for the legs, then it would also cover everything on the back torso too, over a simple frame of sprue or plasticard. Lots of Khorne and chaos shields worn as armour would avoid the centaur looking like a giant fur ball.

Reinnon
12-09-2009, 22:11
For the sake of saving money (i'm not spending 72 on four models...) i use chaos spawn as bloodcrushers - i'm a student, money doesn't come from nowhere.

With the right use of bits (i use pretty much all the spines, etc) and a bit of conversion (for icon and instrument) they look pretty good, and the spawn models are nice enough that its a pity that their rules are so poor in 40K.

Getifa Ubazza
13-09-2009, 08:11
If you are just doing it to save money then its kind of lame really. Ogres aren't daemons. Bloodletters on cold ones doesn't make much sense as bloodcrushers are supposed to be slow but damn tough because of the giant robotic rhinoceros. I'd still play you but i would look down on you secretly.I'm not doing it to save money. I just think I can do more with the Ogre models, than I can with the Bloodcrusher models. I wan't to create 8 individuals that can all be named and given personalities. A kind of Daemonic dirty dozen, if you like.

What I could do is use the juggernaught model and put an Ogre upper body where the head goes, to create centaurs, But that means trying to convert metal and that isn't an option just now, with my skill level. I would need to see how the bloodcrusher model breaks down.

solkan
14-09-2009, 18:49
I'm confused. Are you talking about using ogre models standing upright to substitute for bloodcrushers, or are you talking about putting the ogre models' hands and feet on the ground and having the ogre give a bloodletter a ride?

I swear that if I were to play you and you plopped down upright ogres on the table and said "These are my bloodcrushers" I would roll my eyes at you sooooo bad. You do not want such an eye rolling, let me tell you.

The bloodcrusher models are obnoxiously expensive lumps of metal, that's just the way it is. But keep in mind that because bloodcrushers have a reputation for being effective, there's going to be a strong suspicion that you're just trying to get to use a winning unit while being too cheap to buy the models. That suspicion is going to put the model substitution bar a bit higher than the infamous "bloodletters on horses"... (If ever there was a "conversion" which deserved a :rolleyes: ...)

As far as how the new model breaks down, it's a pretty awful model as far as reposing or conversion goes--the legs on one side are cast with the body, and the legs on the other side only really fit in one position. I suppose you could leave the head off, grind the neck down and mount an ogre torso on the bloodcrusher's shoulders, but I hope you have a good set of tools for it.

DoomBullLiam
24-09-2009, 09:31
I converted them to use as nurgle termies so you should be fine

Marrak
24-09-2009, 11:54
Use the same sized base and make sure they're all the same model range and you should be fine; keep consistent and any reasonable person won't even bat an eye after the initial question.