PDA

View Full Version : How do you play yours?

primarch16
11-09-2009, 14:55
Just wondering how the majority of people play 40k, I've divided it down into 4 poll options. Bear in mind this is just for you're average weekly game of 40k, no tournaments and such.

sigur
11-09-2009, 15:11
I can't choose for I do not know what an "apponent" is.

Gaebriel
11-09-2009, 16:02
I choose : I pick the units I like and generally loose

but it's great fun... ;)

Fist of Crimson
11-09-2009, 16:11
I need the option:

"Pick the units I like and use solid tactics which fall apart as soon as the dice get involved to lose spectacularly"

primarch16
11-09-2009, 16:37
I can't choose for I do not know what an "apponent" is.

Nice post smartass.

I chose the first option, as it allows me to buy and paint the models I think look best, but tactics are a big part of the game. I certainly feel much better when I win with a list I like rather than one I'm forced into.

And to me just choosing the best units isnt really a show of 'good' tactics. Its easy to pick the good units and win, but more difficult to pick the under acheivers and win.

Not that I'm knocking anyone who do pick the best units. When two armys come together with all their best units in hand then it really is a game of tactics, but if one list comes with a casual list and the other has competetive then I find the casual list really has to work hard. It seems to be a bit of a problem these days, so I just though I'd make a poll and see what everyone else tends to do.

Sureshot05
11-09-2009, 16:45
Let me just recheck the options:

Option 1) Use tactics
Option 2) Use tactics
Option 3) Use tactics
Option 4) Use tactics

Then we have pick the units we like or pick the most efficient units with options 2 and 3 being practically the same. Then options 1 and 4 seem to have no difference except I win all the time or I lost a lot.

Think I'll go for 4 :D

primarch16
11-09-2009, 16:48
Well I'd assume in all games we use tactics, were not 6 years old after all. This is more about what you think about when making an army list.

canucklhead
11-09-2009, 17:00
And options 3 and 4 are not the same. There is a huge difference between fielding a lash and a couple of oblits because they are excellent units, and jamming you army with as many as you legally can, because they are the 'I win' button.

oh, and I chose 4

primarch16
11-09-2009, 17:02
Think you meant 2 and 3 in that post dude, but yeah thats the point I was trying to get across :D

Doyl
11-09-2009, 21:07
I would rather have a fun, challenging game, even in a tournament setting, where my opponent and I both have a good time than exploit undercosted min/max builds that are neither fun to play or play against.

Lothlanathorian
11-09-2009, 21:19
4. Although, sometimes, what I think of as 'fun' feels like 'dick move' to my opponent

The Guy
11-09-2009, 21:23
1. You don't play to win then you play to lose, if you play to lose there's no point playing because nobody will enjoy themselves.

Emeraldw
11-09-2009, 21:24
I chose option 2 but those poll options aren't very straight forward and don't show a good slide from one point to another.

If your asking, "How do you select units?" Then alright, i can answer that.

I make one list, the list is the list for each normal point value ala tournament style. I pick my units and stick to them, I do not intentionally seek to make broken list. I try to have variety in my list as I dislike spamming anything. Usually leading to having only one of each unit, though I will admit that sometimes it is just hilarious to run more (2 farseers with doom and each in a banshee squad to help fight off my friends wolves :D )

Thud
11-09-2009, 21:45
The rule of cool!

I find a theme that I like and go to extremes with it! :)

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-09-2009, 23:14
I don't really settle on units that are effective. Mostly I take units that I think are effective, or at least most effective when keeping a general plan in mind. Then I weed out the units whose models are too expensive or that I just don't like and there's my army.

I make one army list (per points bracket) to handle everybody. That way, I don't need 20 different lists and every possible configuration stored away. If I need an army to better match something, I'll choose one of my other armies, designing each army to have different strengths and weaknesses.

Thud
11-09-2009, 23:19
I make one army list (per points bracket) to handle everybody.

I forgot to mention that. I only use all-comers lists. I never tool my army for a specific opponent.

LonelyPath
12-09-2009, 00:53
Last option for me since I sometimes organise quite weak armies for the fluff potential and have fun trying to get anywhere with them :)

HunterSkunter
12-09-2009, 01:16
Have to be casual, still learning, plus I play with my girlfriend, she probably would quit if I went nuts on her.

Emeraldw
12-09-2009, 01:18
Have to be casual, still learning, plus I play with my girlfriend, she probably would quit if I went nuts on her.

That would make it hard to be strong, but at the same time, it could be a good bonding exercise.

My last girlfriend didn't play, but I could get her to paint for me :D

canucklhead
12-09-2009, 01:31
@ the guy.

No one is suggesting that we play to lose. But I also try to remember that the rent money is not riding on this, and the laughs with my friends is more important that arguing some rules interpretation for half an hour. Or building the most evil unrepresentative army I can.

You are correct, the play should be tactical and you should play your best. There is sometimes a level of sportsmanship that can get lost in that effort, though.

12345_7
12-09-2009, 01:47
I don't really have any tactics yet but I take the units I want and try to win. :)

DaSpaceAsians
12-09-2009, 01:58
I don't really have any tactics yet but I take the units I want and try to win. :)

Sme thing here except that I follow a made-up background about my regiment that's a infantry regiment and thus always stick on as many full platoons as possible

CthulhuDalek
12-09-2009, 02:21
Idk, it just so happens the units I like the most are the ones that kill the most things...

"Oh, you mean those AWESOME terminators with cool hammers, when used with this really cool looking(converted) character(whose stats are better than the generic hq) are also very powerful? Wait the coolest looking space marine tank can carry a unit of them, plus a chaplain? Wait, this tank can move 6 inches and shoot everything under good conditions? Sign me up! Oh, and all those guns you wanted to use already... they're even better now!"

OR.

"Damn carnifexes and genestealers are so cool... you say I can have 6 carnifexes? Sign me up!"

bert n ernie
12-09-2009, 02:51
Tactics? This is 40k. My tactic is a broken list.

Kidding. I think that saying every person uses 'good tactics'; in each of the options is making certain assumptions both about the game and the honesty of the players.
I don't find 40k to be a particularly draining game, although I do enjoy it, and I make use of certain strategies and tactics. Sorry for nit picking, but a poll asking people about their play style which describes tactics in exactly the same way in every option is not indicating a great depth of tactics in the game itself.
You only really asked about list building.
Maybe that was your intent and I got the wrong end of the stick.

nightgant98c
20-09-2009, 16:03
I pick units I like, but sometimes those units are actually good. I do use tactics, though they aren't always the right ones. Dice are my my downfall most games.

Petay1985
20-09-2009, 16:24
I tend to build my army lists around a theme, be it a drop pod assault, armoured convoy, foot sloggin force, etc, etc...
I don't tend to design lists to 'win at all costs'!! i like them to be a fluff based list, and i tend to make desicions based on the character of the army i'm playing, i wouldn't for example stand and rapid fire with Grey Hunters at 12" i'd rather charge in a true space wolf fashion, whether it be the 'tactical' move or not!!

the1stpip
20-09-2009, 16:25
It depends on who I am facing.

I refuse to use Cookie Cutter armies. If I am going to develop a strong, tournie army, I will go through my codex, choose the strongest army I can, and then play with it to hone it.

Otherwise, I choose a fun army (my Guard) or a fluffy army (my Orks and Chaos).

LKHERO
20-09-2009, 16:28
I spam the best and most effective units and use tactics to defeat my apponent

Why spam? Why not use?

I see what you did there. Good indication of frustration and nerd rage.

Tokamak
20-09-2009, 16:34
Losing can be just as fun if the game is great.

Bunnahabhain
20-09-2009, 16:39
I like being able to mainly use sensible units that belong on the table, and have a competitive force. It's a nice change from having such a limited range of viable units and army styles that you have to follow certain patterns, or lose very quickly and so have little fun- I don't have a problem with losing, but when it's a forgone conclusion, it 's boring.

I am glad my guard now have several viable options on how to use infantry- the classic infantry companies, with heavy weapon units, mechanised infantry, and air cav.

The Armour is either IFVs, main battletanks, or Flying gunships. I love being able to sensibly limit my artillery to Griffons- heavy mortar tracks actually belong in the front line, manticores ( mine look like katyushkas, which again are short ranged, and do belong in the front line) or off table, on the end of a radio.

Warpcrafter
20-09-2009, 16:42
I just take the miniatures that I like the most, because no matter what tactics I use, I lose most of the time, because I refuse to use the no-brainer builds.

Lion El Jason
20-09-2009, 18:07
I make armies based on fluff but then chose the best options and use the best tactics to win.