PDA

View Full Version : Will you play as/ against the Wolves?

Hicks
11-09-2009, 22:56
Hi all

The upcoming Space Wolves codex seems to me making huge waves in the community. On one side, a lot of players are really exited about it, but on the other side, a lot of people are worried that it's going to be just too powerfull.

I remember when some Fantasy players used to look down on 40K, until their game became broken by extreme power creep. Sadly, it would appear that SW could turn into 40K's version of Fantasy's Chaos Daemons.

What I want to know is how the release of this codex is going to impact your gaming and what you think of the Space Wolves.

Thud
11-09-2009, 23:00
I've had a Space Wolves army since 3rd edition. It will see new days of glory once a copy of the new the codex finds its way to my hands. I'll even finally paint those FW Space Wolf Assault Terminators I've had lying around for ages. It will be glorious! :)

Emeraldw
11-09-2009, 23:01
The fantasy power creep isn't as bad as some claim but thats another thread.

As to your post, both.

My eldar will be happy to play wolves. I don't see much changing here than playing against chaos marines. Similar loadout and I still need to watch out for Psychic powers. I have only one assault unit but I would send Banshees against pretty much anything they have when the unit is doomed.

Shooting still works just as well as before as they are still Marines, but that -1 BS storm hurts, though unlike other armies, I possess a great way to mitigate it in runes of warding.

As I sad in another thread, playing them won't change much for me.

I do feel a bit for assault armies like orks as CA wolves with BP+CCW, Bolter isn't something to sneeze at and there are ways to snipe the power claw.

Now playing as them seems to be a much more interesting game over vanilla marines.

Nurgling Chieftain
11-09-2009, 23:03
I am disinclined to jump up and down on an army until I see the codex and read the exact points costs and so forth. Rumours... Are just rumours. I mean, my biggest objection to the Space Marine codex was that they could deep-strike into HtH while my Daemons could not, but it costs so much I've never seen anybody actually do it.

Mozzamanx
11-09-2009, 23:04
I'll gladly take them on, and I'll do it with my Dark Angels to boot. They take my job, I'll take their face.

Commander Zane
11-09-2009, 23:04
im gona start a SW army, the new sprue is loaded with goodies!:evilgrin:

plus i made a proto a few years back durin the 13th co wolves and i really liked it but i didnt go a head with it cause i took a break from the hobby, soooooo glad i got back into it:)

MarshalFaust
11-09-2009, 23:05
of course i will play against them, how many times did we hear about how the new Space marine codex will break 40k (it didnt) how much whining did we hear about the new guard being too powerful (it isnt). sure it will take a few games to adjust to the new wolves. sure they are rumored to get some really nasty toys (wowee crazy psychic powers) maybe ill consider taking an inquisitor lord with a psychic hood or a librarian now.

Suspicions
11-09-2009, 23:06
I can't wait to take them on! Depending on how fun the experience is, I could see myself collecting a small (1,000pt) force as well!

Calling them the next WFB Daemons though....this I must say is uncalled for. We have no idea how "broken" this new Codex will be until it's in the public hands for at least a month. If we see stupid broken combos, well then, we'll see...

Remember, you can't have multiples of the same saga anywhere in your list...this does mean that you will be unable to run certain special characters alongside others! A balancing force greatly needed in Daemons! IMHO

MarshalFaust
11-09-2009, 23:11
actually the book looks perfect for my iron warriors, i have always wanted to make them very terminator heavy but really couldn't do it with the chaos book. this looks like a perfect ruleset for that.

40k Boy
11-09-2009, 23:15
I'll demonstrate how their new upgrades don't count for much under the never ending storm of Leman Russ Pie Plates my Guard force can generate, certainly! I'll play anyone who uses a codex-legal list, as i would expect anyone to be willing to face any list i could create from my codexes.

I would never play AS them, ever though. I really dislike the whole space marine concept, and of the ones on offer i have always liked the Space Wolves the least, so i'll never don the grey power armour.

Kurisu313
11-09-2009, 23:19
Bring it on!

How will I found out if they're overpowered if I don't have a chance to grind their corpses beneath the treads of the glorious tanks of the imperial guard?

I'm absolutely fed up of all this whining before the release. There's no way to tell how strong the codex is until you get the playtesting on the road.

sabreu
11-09-2009, 23:21
Nope. Not gunna play against'em. I loathe variant marines!

Bunnahabhain
11-09-2009, 23:23
They're just marines with some claws and fluff, therefore:

They'll still eat Guardsmen in close combat.

They'll still die to ordnance.

BTW, the rumour summary has the special characters exempt from the one of each saga limit.

Slashattack
11-09-2009, 23:33
Why should we not play. Their just expensive marines at the end of the day with a few cool abilities.

The're still as easy as any other marines. Fair enough they have their -1bs psychic thing, but Disintegrators are template weapons so who cares. And other armies like Grey Knights and Eldar have psychic defenses to stop them getting it off.

Grimtuff
11-09-2009, 23:36
Nope. Not gunna play against'em. I loathe variant marines!

Well I loathe close-minded players. :eyebrows:

So, yeah...

Arkfatalis
11-09-2009, 23:37
Time to dust off my old stormies......

Sgt Rafen
11-09-2009, 23:40
I'll gladly take them on, and I'll do it with my Dark Angels to boot. They take my job, I'll take their face.

Pffft I'll take them on with my BA's WITHOUT any special characters :p

But seriously the new wolves do seem a bit strong but that makes beating them all the more fun :)

sabreu
11-09-2009, 23:41
Well I loathe close-minded players. :eyebrows:

So, yeah...

Was that an attempt to make it personal? :eyebrows:

Seriously, I have no problem with players of such armies, I just don't like to play against those armies, and this thread is asking who will or won't play against wolves. I mean, it's not like I'm spamming my opinion in the wolves rumours thread or any other unrelative thread.

Dreachon
11-09-2009, 23:44
Won't play as them, enjoy chaos too much but I will certainly play against them and send them back to fenris with their tales etween their legs.

Frep
11-09-2009, 23:51
I'll be happy to play space wolves or any army. I'm just glad to get a game in. To be honest, I'm so tired of everyone over-reacting with every new army book/codex.

For example everyone was complaining about the Guard: 9 Leman russes/ Basalisks OMG SO OP!!!!, guess what everyone of these so called broked combos are broken. Cause their no damn good, spam lists are stupid one trick ponies, I love how everything is overpowered until we get a points cost. Remember the jump packing vanguard all equipped with power weapons and storm shields, soon as the codex hit the shelves all such silliness disappeared.

No offence to the OP but it's thread like this that make me regret even logging on to warseer some days.

kanejax
11-09-2009, 23:53
I would like to play as them but I have a 13th company army and will have to see if what I have will work. Might need to get more stuff and expand to make it a viable list.
I will play against any army. Its not the army its the player that makes the difference.

Deus Mechanicus
11-09-2009, 23:56
I'll play them and will make lists as powerfull as I can.
Play the game people!

CommissarGuard
11-09-2009, 23:57
i will play them be intresting to test them out with my Arch knight SM

kardar233
12-09-2009, 00:01
Well, this just might be the thing that would get my brother to finally start playing again. He played the Wolves in the days of Daemonbombs, 1st turn charge Princes, 10-attack Solitaires, billion Death Company BA, every nasty thing under the sun. He stopped playing after one and a half years of playing because he had never won a match. This time, he'll be the one on top.

Me, though? I don't know. It just seems that whatever we get, is taken away next edition. Every advantage we had, taken away. Yes, I'm just a bitter CSM player.

*Crawls into corner*

IncrediSteve
12-09-2009, 00:04
I may get the Codex for completion's sake and potential counts-as, but most likely wont do anything with it.

The models, I will pick up a sprue or two purely for bits and re-purposing.

Which is more insulting? Space Wolves models turned into Chaos Marines? Or Space Wolves models turned into Ultramarines?

[Doesn't matter, I'm so evil, I'm doing both!]

:evilgrin:

Phyros
12-09-2009, 00:08
I've had a Space Wolves army since 3rd edition. It will see new days of glory once a copy of the new the codex finds its way to my hands. I'll even finally paint those FW Space Wolf Assault Terminators I've had lying around for ages. It will be glorious! :)

+1 for me...only I've had mine since 2nd. Edition.

They got the acetone bath after I realized my painting skills had improved vastly and now they are waiting. I even picked up some (3 or 4!) of the first-go-around-plastic Squad boxes at an auction 7 years ago. It'll obviously be heavy on the infantry.

Nurgling Chieftain
12-09-2009, 00:18
Me, though? I don't know. It just seems that whatever we get, is taken away next edition. Every advantage we had, taken away. Yes, I'm just a bitter CSM player.Oh, c'mon, Chaos Space Marines are kind of like Eldar: parts of the army go up and down in efficacy all the time, but the list as a whole always has some real strengths.

kardar233
12-09-2009, 00:35
The thing being with the Eldar, is that you can justify pretty much any unit in any themed army without too much stretching, but as was truly said:

This is my Night Lords army. My commander is a Slaanesh Daemon Prince, who can scare people where he wants them to go. And this is he brother, who does the same.

Say you want to play Word Bearers. So, lots of Termies especially in Raiders, lots of Possessed, Cultist meat shields, Daemon Engines galore, no Cult troops. Wait, my Raiders are basically shiny limos, because we don't get the Crusader for firepower and I can't shoot half the time because I don't have PotMS. My Possessed are getting shot up! Give them a Raider, and they can't kill squads because I don't have enough points left to make them a decent size with the Termies. I can't take Cultists period. I need those Heavy Support slots for Raiders, so I can't have too many Defilers. I'm going to hold objectives with..... two minimum-sized CSM squads because I don't have points left. I can't even make them survivable by taking Plague Marines, because I'm playing fluffy.

Sorry, this is turning into a rant. I'll sign off before things get ugly, but I hope you get my point.

Lion El Jason
12-09-2009, 00:58
Didn't read the thread.

They aren't that overpowered.
Anyone refusing to play them because their codex is a little too good, frankly is an ******.
I bet people saying this play one of the other silly powerful lists...

loveless
12-09-2009, 01:03
I'll let you know after I read through the book. My Codex marines are still coming along, so I won't be starting them anytime soon, but I'll probably pick up the book - I tend to with most Imperial ones.

12345_7
12-09-2009, 02:04
As far as I know, they aren't Necrons so I will play them without remorse or regret.

Imperius
12-09-2009, 02:22
It would be stupid and idiotic to refuse to play a person simply because they use an army.

I find it indicative of an inferior mind to assume that each new army is 'cheese.'

JHZ
12-09-2009, 02:27
F) I doubt I'll even see a single Space Wolf army.

Giganthrax
12-09-2009, 03:29
I'll play them. If the codex is as good as it seems to be from the rumors, it's very likely I'll abandon codex SM for the codex SW.

If it ends up being actually balanced, then I'll probably play both codexes for some time, and see which one I like more.

solkan
12-09-2009, 03:51
My "Count as Space Werewolves" Wererat army is waiting on the location of suitable Skaven parts. I refuse to be limited to only one GW bandwagon! :cheese:

jason_sation
12-09-2009, 04:35
I'm interested in collecting the army because it seems like a low model count army AND I like models where you can see the faces. (I play Guard). Due to funds I doubt I'll actually get them though. Besides, I've wanted to do Tau and Iron Warriors for a while, so I'll wait on the SW.

Emeraldw
12-09-2009, 04:49
I'm interested in collecting the army because it seems like a low model count army AND I like models where you can see the faces. (I play Guard). Due to funds I doubt I'll actually get them though. Besides, I've wanted to do Tau and Iron Warriors for a while, so I'll wait on the SW.

It really isn't a low model count army at all. You can field more than normal Marines. I am afraid that rumor about being outnumbered isn't true at all.

Reflex
12-09-2009, 04:56
you dont have an option: I play necrons so i loose anyway :\

meh ill play against them. power creep is power creep. i am so used to loosing i generally have fun going down with the guns blazing so meh.

Ravenous
12-09-2009, 05:05
Im not looking forward to going against anyone using Njal, especially since he can throw up quite a few powers that can really wreck up my whole army single handedly not to mention cripple any psykers I have.

But meh we'll see how it goes.

It'll be just like going against chaos, bunch of well armed infantry geared for CC and close fire fights while backed up by CC monsters, only difference is I have to add "wolf" in front of their name: "so your wolf prince of slaanesh is using wolf lash of submission?"

BladeWalker
12-09-2009, 05:21
I'll be making the most competitive Wolf list that I can. I have 4 different armies that we made fluffy and cool, this army will be as mean as possible for competitive play. I decided that before reading any of the info about the book, SW were my first army back in the early 90's and I was confident it would be a strong book. Here's to Wolves taking tournaments in 2010! *raises glass of ale*

marv335
12-09-2009, 07:47
why wouldn't I play them?
the more toys/characters they have, the less boots on ground they have.
at the end of the day even terminators fall to massed firepower.

Waaagh Grignak
12-09-2009, 07:55
I will play them, and defeat them under the iron shod boot of the ork... the say as i do every other army.

Why would i need to fear one that has less marines than normal, and migh actually create a challange?

Bring them on!

kormas
12-09-2009, 08:46
i will refuse to play any of the 'cheese' lists, same as i would refuse to play double lash sorcs. i will happily play normal lists that are build to be compeditive but still want to have fun. i do not mind that they are powerful, although the fact that my chaos are now subpar with the loss of our unique bolter, bolt pistol & chainsword.

Dies Ireas
12-09-2009, 09:54
I played the space wolves for about ten years now. For most battles my list will be as fluff as possible while keeping in mind that it is a game so winning is part of it, and for the tournaments I will make lists that are as hard as possible.

But please stop whining about a new codex that is harder than the newest codex before it.

Gutted
12-09-2009, 10:47
I wont refuse but I would rather not and its more to do with the lameness of the units and characters (lol @ wolf rider) rather than fear of power gaming. This codex looks like it has gone beyond fun or gimmicky into silly territory.

Brother Alric
12-09-2009, 11:13
I have actually been inspired to start a Deathwing army just to show those Wolf players who the boss is. So my vote is: I'm ready to take on the Wolves!. :D

Petay1985
12-09-2009, 12:36
I will play as them, resurecting the very army that got me into 40k!! I will however not be attemting to power list, just create a well thought out and fluff based army!! For the Wolf Time!! :)

AFnord
12-09-2009, 12:49
Whenever a new codex is released, people will cry cheese. People will simply see the strengths of the codex, without realizing that it also has some drawbacks/pays for it's strengths.

The recent codexes have all been well balanced compared to each other, and they have also had a great internal balance, with only a few units that stands out as being slightly too good/not being good enough. I doubt that GW will lower their standard with the release of SW.

Will I play against the new SW army? Of course! Let's hope that they are as fun and interesting, with as many options as the main SM codex & imps!

Thylacine
12-09-2009, 13:18
From what I have seen of the new builds, they seem to be one trick ponies depending greatly on good rolls of the dice to win a game. After looking at the new codex for a few hours last night the wolves are going to suffer in much the same way they did in 3rd and 4the ed. They are still going to be an expensive army and a good many players will build though-as-nails lists that will be basically foot slogging lists. These lists will then be shot to bits as they cross the table.

Sure there are some powerful characters in the codex but they are going to be expensive to use and expensive means less models on the table. Unless your the type of SW player that builds lists where Blood Claws are the majority troop choice and the only Grey Hunters are the six sitting in the Razorback following up a pack of BC's! I have seen a few cheesy lists like that over the years.

There is a lot in the new codex that demands the game follows the SW players plan for a win. From what I can see, our new codex would work well under 4th ed but not so great under 5th ed and it is supposed to be a 5th ed codex. Contrary to popular belief the usual codex creep does not apply, it is not the latest and greatest thing in 40K and no SM player is going to drop his current codex to take up SW's nor will anyone playing Chaos or a Xenos race.

Games Workshop is relying on the SW fans goodwill to sell this codex. If you don't believe me, just watch the tournaments and see how many SW armies place first!

I wonder just how many play-test games were run before the codex was put into print and how many of those were not following a script to work the bugs out of the list? In next months WD you are going to see the same old battle reports, showing how great the new SW codex is and how you can tune your lists to win over the toned down lists used by other GW staffers.

Remember when the new plastic terminators were released and the battle report featured the new terminators going against Necrons? Remember that the Necron player had no Res Orb in his list. Now ever play Necrons at a tournament where the Res Orb was not included in the list?

We have waited a long time for a new codex and GW let us down, they even left out the Leman Russ Exterminator, (that really annoys me) which was a significant vehicle to SW players, being one of the major differences between Space Wolves and Vanilla Marines.

NOT HAPPY!

squeekenator
12-09-2009, 14:51
Being a Tyranid player, I get severly screwed over by Jaws/Maws/Pawpaws/whatever of the World Wolf, so I wouldn't play against anyone maxing out on that. However, I wouldn't play against anyone maxing out on any cheesy option, regardless of whether they play Wolves or not, so maybe my vote should have been the middle one rather than 'only if their list is ok'. Hmm...

Captain Micha
12-09-2009, 14:57
squeekenator: nids ain't got nothing on Crons when it comes to being hosed by the Jaws of World Wolf. We can't even pass that Initiative test.

I will play against SW, with my IG at least. As I feel frankly that out of the 5e armies the Marines are the weakest by a significant amount. It'll be interesting to see if the SW end up being the second or third most powerful army in 40k like I suspect they will be. (Nothing really tops The Lash, but at least all of the true 5e books SM aside can stand up to the Lash and have a reasonable enough chance at winning that there's still a point in playing. So in theory if the SW arent > Lash they'll still be beatable)

They are still True MEQs, so the same tactics etc will work on them.

I will also play as SW. As Sw most fits my Chapter's theme and feel without leaving them utterly pathetic on the power curve.

Scion of Ferrus
12-09-2009, 15:02
I'm going field a "Count's As" Space Wolves Army for my Iron Hands Army:chrome::skull::D

Wolf 11x
12-09-2009, 15:05
I'm actually opting to build my own Codex army right now. I like the Wolves but it would feel too cliche. I used to own 13th and still have 10 Wulfen. :)

the1stpip
12-09-2009, 15:14
They will be the same as any other army, over powered until you get used to playing against them.

And recently, I have been playing any lists and any player, as I have been getting ready for a tournament.

And since when have SMs been poor. They are an extremely powerful army, if used correctly.

e2055261
12-09-2009, 15:29
I'll play them. I wonder how many SW armies I'll actually see. It will be interesting to see how popular they will be...

HerrDusty
12-09-2009, 15:52
i do not mind that they are powerful, although the fact that my chaos are now subpar with the loss of our unique bolter, bolt pistol & chainsword.

How do you mean "subpar"? your basic troops in the CSM codex will be as good as they've always been, just because there's another army that has the same equipment doesn't make your chaos marines suddenly "subpar", they'll still kick the stuffing out of a lot of things in CC like they did previously, you'll just have an equal in Grey Hunter squads.

I'm personally looking forward to the new SW codex, and I'll build some pretty strong lists out of it if I can, but I won't go looking to make abusive power lists, I prefer to win my games from how I play, not from the lists I write.

Treadhead_1st
12-09-2009, 15:56
I play a short-ranged Salamander army. At the moment I have one (admittedly twin-linked) weapon with a range longer than 24" - this may, however, change to 4 weapons (replacing a TL-AC razorback with Las/Plas and 2xMM with ML) with longer reach to combat the really tough solo characters/units. I'm still going to be playing the short-ranged game however.

The new Wolf codex would be interesting - riders on Salamanders, tough-as-nails commanders, dual special-weapons...

...but I like my Codex Marine army. I like my Techmarines, my conversions - I won't use the Wolf dex as it means I have to change my army too much, and between finishing off my current Marines, my Guard and re-building my Witch Hunters I really can't afford to. Plus I'm a huge Viking fan, so if I ever did use a Space Wolf codex I'd have to play the actual Space Wolves - barfights ain't no fun otherwise.

I am looking forwards to the battles - I'm using a "disadvantaged" codex (supposedly) but I'll have some tricks up my sleeve - like a Null Zone Librarian and cheaper THSS Terminators to take on the Wolf elite troops, and being able to fall back from an incoming/lost assault and riddle their faces full of bolter-shells and flames.

It's going to be a decidedly short-ranged affair and very, very bloody. So it's going to be one hell of a lot of fun, and I really can't wait to start smashing things about! I will play against the Wolves - I may even prefer to play against the Wolves for the sheer brutality that will be unleashed (on both forces).

I don't see why other Marine/Xenos/Whatever forces feel like this (well, according to the poll most do, but there are some very vocal ones who don't). Grab your chapter banner, plant it in the earth at your feet and make the Wolves pay in blood for every inch they advance.

Bring on October.

The Highlander
12-09-2009, 17:12
Bring them on!

My Orks can absorb anything they throw at me, then drown then in bodies. My guard has enough firepower to blast them back to Fenris and massed bayonet charges led by Brigadier Munro (counts as Colonel Straken) can deal with any survivors. And you don't want to see what my SOB would do to them!

Coragus
12-09-2009, 20:17
I played SW in 2nd edition. I've farked around with DH and Guard since, while that thin little sorry excuse of a "codex" for my SW has become more and more obsolete. Finally, the circle is complete.

Grindgodgrind
12-09-2009, 20:20
It's only a game, I'll happily play them. I don't care what gizmos they have.

Souleater
12-09-2009, 20:38
I may well use the SW codex to field Star Leopards or Celestial Lions. :)

I certainly wouldn't refuse to play against SWs as killing SWs is the best thing one can do in 40K, IMHO.

I might refuse to play against somebody who was a jerk but that's the player, not the army.

LonelyPath
12-09-2009, 21:07
My Dark Angels and Daemonhunters are ready to take them on. The Inquisition whispers in my ear that being mutated they must be heretics and possibly daemonically aligned, the Dark Angels, well they're always looking for a scrap with the puppies :P

Deon
12-09-2009, 21:27
i can't understand wy anyone would'nt want to play army x or z or ...
I see any challence as a (guess what) challenge, a test of my skills,
if i lose i had a fun game, if i win all the better

Cognitave
12-09-2009, 21:40
A while back I told myself "Space Wolves or Necrons, whichever comes first."

Puppies it is. I played proxy with their codex last night against my friend's chaos. I like the new book =D

DrDoom
12-09-2009, 21:53
Bring it. I'm more than willing to show them that the Black Legion is their better in clse combat.

Onisuzume
12-09-2009, 22:54
Although I've yet to see the codex, I wouldn't really mind fighting them.
Throw enough bolters at something and it'll go down eventually. (except land raiders, I know...)

susu.exp
12-09-2009, 23:52
Iīll play them, no problem. While they have some new toys, theyīve also got drawbacks. Compared to CSM they lose some flexibility on their GHs and have to take Wolf Guard (and thus remove an Elite choice) for their unit Champs. The additional special CC weapon costs the same as the CC weapons on champs minus the additional attack. And of course the ability to take Icons adds to the chaos usability.Some interesting new units to go against (cavalry, hmm). Some of the Psychic powers seem rather strong, but that Runepriest will cost quite a few points, especially if you want more than power armour on him (and who wouldnīt on a model that can clock in at 150+, requires LOS for most of what he can do and isnīt EW?).

Negafex
13-09-2009, 00:10
ive been wanting to play a mirines army for a long time. i used to play chaos, but im not a fan of the new vanilla codex so i dont play it anymore since people wont let me use the old one (which is understandable).

the reason i havent jumped on any of the existing marine armies is that i cannot stand the super religious grimdark christian-esque fanaticism.

i really enjoy the space wolves in that they emulate ancient viking and nordic culture. the only reason i hadnt played them before was their super outdated codex and models.

Astraeos
13-09-2009, 00:25
I'm going to be collecting the Wolves, not because they're the new army but because at the start of this year I decided I wanted to long before I heard any hint of a rumour about the new book.

But due to a lack of a codex all I have is a drop pod, three boxes of the previous marines and two metal figures, the wolf guard with claws and the Iron Priest!

I don't plan on making a beardy/cheesy/power gamer list, I usually tae a mix of stuff I like and stuff that could make a decent/effective core of my army.

Grubnar
14-09-2009, 04:28
I voted for: "I'll play them, but not try to make the strongest list possible".

Orkz are my favorite (and by far largest) army, but Im sure I will at least add some more infantry to my small (3.000 pts.) Space Wolf army. Im pretty sure some of my models will now become unuseable, good for nothing but spare parts ... I alway hate it when that happens.

Father of Iron
14-09-2009, 04:39
space wolf player at my local gw used the new rules (customer copy advance look at codex) in a game on games night just to see how they were, and he actually lost, he's not a bad SW player at all but i think the new codex is being a little bit too overhyped, almost as much as swine flu

Scoutfox
14-09-2009, 04:41
My Orks don't shy from a fight. You can only be a winner by taking on the biggest baddest boys on the block, and if that's the new Space Wolves.....dez bout ta git crumped. I once had a Blood Angels player tell me that I shouldn't charge his death company because they would tear me apart; I slaughtered them.

Ravenous
14-09-2009, 05:19
My Orks don't shy from a fight. You can only be a winner by taking on the biggest baddest boys on the block, and if that's the new Space Wolves.....dez bout ta git crumped. I once had a Blood Angels player tell me that I shouldn't charge his death company because they would tear me apart; I slaughtered them.

You may change your tune when you get hit by thunderwolves. Or ragnar with 10 buddies and a wolf priest.

SanguinaryDan
14-09-2009, 05:46
Much as I love the Wolves novels I'll wait to see what sort of silliness they'll bring to the game before I jump on the band wagon. And even then I'll mostly pick up the pieces fallen from the band wagon on eBay.

So for now my painted 16+ years ago Ragnar Blackmane with huge :wtf: sized banners will be my only wolf.

But I'll be more than happy to teach those snot nosed pups why Dante+Corbulo+10 VAS/DC = the universe's largest rolled up newspaper. ;)

starlight
14-09-2009, 06:10
Yes. :D

The Poll is broken. :(

I will play any legal army fielded by a reasonably decent gamer. :)

I will also likely try out a Wolf list as a *counts as* with some of my Marines to see how it plays differently. :)

Scoutfox
14-09-2009, 06:21
You may change your tune when you get hit by thunderwolves. Or ragnar with 10 buddies and a wolf priest.

Nope, I'm an Ork. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger, and if I die its because I was too weak anyways and a useless git.

Frep
14-09-2009, 06:33
Oh god now you mean that it's gonna hurt getting hit by 2 HQ units and a full squad of guy! God help us all, how dare a pimped out CC unit kill something, the very nerve of Games Workshop creating a hellishly expensive and deadly unit. Well I'm off to feed my army into a food processor because there's obviously now way I could possibly enjoy this game with the horror that is space wolves.

Hi if you're enjoyed this diatrabe please be shure to purchase my spoken word album, "When Frep loses his mind over unsubstantiated worry and whining Vol 3". Act now and get your limited edition face palm doll.

As people may have noticed my patience has been wearing thin recently.

Ravenous
14-09-2009, 06:36
Oh god now you mean that it's gonna hurt getting hit by 2 HQ units and a full squad of guy! God help us all, how dare a pimped out CC unit kill something, the very nerve of Games Workshop creating a hellishly expensive and deadly unit. Well I'm off to feed my army into a food processor because there's obviously now way I could possibly enjoy this game with the horror that is space wolves.

Hi if you're enjoyed this diatrabe please be shure to purchase my spoken word album, "When Frep loses his mind over unsubstantiated worry and whining Vol 3". Act now and get your limited edition face palm doll.

As people may have noticed my patience has been wearing thin recently.

Oh dear, apparently. I wasnt saying it was the be all and end all, the unit is just a Mob muncher.

Frep
14-09-2009, 06:38
Sorry about that, it's not you it's just the general attitude of warseer has got me down recently and I think I might be going a little crazy because of sleep deprivation.

Ravenous
14-09-2009, 06:40
Sorry about that, it's not you it's just the general attitude of warseer has got me down recently and I think I might be going a little crazy because of sleep deprivation.

No worries, generally the forums dont help when you are stressed out, well other then the painting side of things.

perplexiti
14-09-2009, 06:56
Well I've been playing the Wolves since 2nd Ed and of course I will continue to use them, But if my Eldar had a game against them I would most certainly play it, and try to spank them as well. As another poster already said, I'll happily play any legal list, I might not win, but hey you can't win all the time.

madival
14-09-2009, 07:03
I voted to play the wolves with as powerful as I can because I play shooting orks and necron. If I dont bring a hard list, I will either get tabled or phased.

Kriegfreak
14-09-2009, 07:27
I didn't take the poll, why bother? Of course I'll play against Space Wolves. This argument and poll will probably be said each time a new codex comes out. Grow up, play the game. If not, no one is forcing your hand. If the rules are to much for you, find some decent people to play against with your own house rules or just use the old ones instead. I'm not a fan of 'Codex Creep' either, but its not the end of the world in any case.

WLBjork
14-09-2009, 08:01
Finally. Not played any Marines since 3rd edition, mainly because the Wolves have been a bit left out with all the new toys etc. that everyone else got.

Vermin-thing
14-09-2009, 08:33
I wowed when I saw the cover, and then I died of happiness when I saw the second page... now I wonder what happed when I read the thunder wolf rules/fluff...

I'm going to make a fallen SW chapter. (after the Skaven release)

Chaotic blood hungry killing machines... ...with deamon wolves!

Fenrir
14-09-2009, 10:50
I'm absolutely fed up of all this whining before the release. There's no way to tell how strong the codex is until you get the playtesting on the road.

I agree. When did wargamers loose their collective balls? Every time a new codex comes out, people crop screaming, crying and refusing to play it.

Indulging in fantasy references, as it's been done already - I remember very clearly when people were throwing fits and banning the High Elf book left, right and centre due to the army wide ASF rule. Noone refuses to play against the book a few years later, do they?

Anarchist Angel
14-09-2009, 12:10
Remember, you can't have multiples of the same saga anywhere in your list

The Saga's are an absolute joke... It gives you rules for them but only suggests you don't break them! There are no set rules for Sagas or penalties for breaking them. The Rule for having multiple Sagas actually is a suggestion! It says you should not have multiple characters with the same sagas but there is no must in that sentence at all... lol :p

There is also a little note that says you should not have your space wolf characters with the same wargear but this is a designer note rather than a rule lol...

What I think is stupid about this codex is that they have blatently tried to out-do the previous Imperial codices with it. Space wolves for 15pts (cheaper than standard marines) and they get a bolter, cc weapon, bolt pistol, frags and kraks. On top of this they get Counter Charge and Acute Senses! How have you possibly priced that cheaper? lol... I wouldn't mind if they were 16 points like standard marines. They have taken a chaos marine and said "yeah they can have 'they shall know no fear' and we'll even give them acute senses and counter charge!" Yeah... great plan GW *sigh*

I wont refuse to play them but i think GW needs to make more effort to balance the codices instead of making them more powerful with each release :)

Ravenous
14-09-2009, 15:36
Actually you cant take the same saga, its mentioned under 2 spots the one that matters is on pg 81 where it says no character can take the same wargear, sagas or powers.

Really the only question that this leaves is do they mean you can only take 1 of each peice of wargear for any of your HQs? Or any combination, which IMO would be lame if you took 4 of the same guy with 1 thing different about each of them.

sliganian
14-09-2009, 15:43
OMIGAWD! OMIGAWD! OMIGAWD! OMIGAWD!

Did you hear about this army "Necrons"? They can stand back up after getting killed! The game is ruined!

Did you hear about this army "Tau"? They have basic infantry weapons at S5 with a 30" range! The game is ruined!

Did you hear about this army "Daemons"? They Deep Strike for everyone! The game is ruined!

Gav2k
14-09-2009, 15:44
The amount of controversy that the Wolves have caused across the 40k hobby society has made me seriously consider picking up the 'dex and use it to find out what all the fuss is about...

x-esiv-4c
14-09-2009, 15:45
I'll be using the codex for my DG. Good times!

Anarchist Angel
14-09-2009, 15:45
If your characters have 1 piece of different gear then they technically not the same imo. There are a lot of grey areas in the new codex but I think that example is pretty obvious.

On the note of the increasing power of the newer codices i really hope this pattern does not continue. When I get my new codex (Eldar) in a few years i don't want it to be broken and horrible because it will spoil the game for me...

Black Antelope
14-09-2009, 16:05
Of course Id play agaist them.

No offense to the OP, but anyone who would play an someone because of the race they had would be a bit of a ****.

Personly, I belive this book will have its powerbuilds (which ones dont?), but it wont be significantly better than CSM or Orks. People who think its going to be game breaking need to calm down and remember there only rumours.

[Of course, I make these comments assuming they wont bring out something utterly stupid - ie Relentless, Stealthed Long Fangs with Assault Cannons for 20p or WS5 S5 Scouts with 5 attacks, Rending, Prefered Enemy, Deploy from any board edge for 16p.]:rolleyes:

Fenrir
14-09-2009, 16:48
I'll be using the codex for my DG. Good times!

I'm going to put my codex on the table during deployment. The opposition will be shocked and awed*, leading to their instant concession and my autowinning the game. I mean - the internet says this book is so powerful it can be placed in a generator to power the Earth when the oil runs out, so they obviously have no chance against the might of Codex: Space Wolves.

I'm planning on using my Wolf army, but with the rules from Codex: Dark Angels.

*if they don't spontaneously combust from the waves of pure win that the book radiates.

Emeraldw
14-09-2009, 16:55
Of course Id play agaist them.

No offense to the OP, but anyone who would play an someone because of the race they had would be a bit of a ****.

Personly, I belive this book will have its powerbuilds (which ones dont?), but it wont be significantly better than CSM or Orks. People who think its going to be game breaking need to calm down and remember there only rumours.

[Of course, I make these comments assuming they wont bring out something utterly stupid - ie Relentless, Stealthed Long Fangs with Assault Cannons for 20p or WS5 S5 Scouts with 5 attacks, Rending, Prefered Enemy, Deploy from any board edge for 16p.]:rolleyes:

I agree.

Really, the wolves codex just looks to be much better than vanilla marine dex, not the best dex out there. Thats all.

Durfast
14-09-2009, 17:29
As a wolf brother since 2nd Ed, I'll take whatever comes with the new codex on the chin :)

Ozendorph
14-09-2009, 18:05
I don't have the time to make a SW army (besides, my DA would roll only 1's for me from then on). However I'll gladly play against them.

Sons of Russ
14-09-2009, 19:37
ummmmmmm...

<--------- see avatar handle

aeoglas
14-09-2009, 20:14
You think a pack of pups screaming at me shouting Arhuuu! is going to scare me. As for counter attack terminators...

Beware the 5 S6 I6 power weapon attacks on the charge!
Jetbike autarch, lance, mandiblaster, fuison gun.
That is killing power worthy of eldanesh.

LKHERO
14-09-2009, 20:20
Playing against the Wolves with my SM.

Space Wolves, to me, are considered a one step away from being a traitor legion.

mattschuur
14-09-2009, 20:29
Of course i'll play them, but like some other posters i read some of their points cost and just shook my head. 15 points for a Chaos marine with ATSKNF, counter-attack and acute senses? Okay fine, but then why give them the options for "free" weapons? A grey hunters squad with ML and Flamer is cheaper than a similar Vanilla squad and they are on paper flat out better. Give it some time and they won't be any tougher than other armies. BTW, i've read the book many times and i'm still wondering how they came to the points for some of the units.

matt schuur

Bloodriver
15-09-2009, 09:03
I don't think I would I would ever buy a SW army myself, just because offend me aesthetically. But they're slaves of the false emperor, so if they get in my way I'll fight 'em

DarkReaver
15-09-2009, 11:09
I'll play against them. I'm just going to do what I do to every army I face on the table, send it packing.

Karhedron
15-09-2009, 11:45
I have played SWs since 1st edition so no need for me to stop now. I won't miss the 3rd edition codex though. :D

Hello 60 Grey Hunter mechanised army of doom!

Charlie Scene
15-09-2009, 11:56
If them soft h'oomies fink dat me an da ladz are scared dey got demselvez anuvva fing cumin'.

I look forward to getting in a melee brawl with these new wolves. :D

Fenrir
15-09-2009, 12:20
I won't miss the 3rd edition codex though. :D

I dunno, been with us a long time and served its duty. It'll feel odd not having the old girl with me at the table.

ex-green
15-09-2009, 12:37
As an Ork player it doesn't matter what type of marine I kill and those wolf tokens would look good on my warboss.
Bring on the strongest list you want and I will fight it no problem.
Orks only ever win, cos if we run away its only to get some more boys and if we die more of us come back.

Thud
15-09-2009, 13:11
If them soft h'oomies fink dat me an da ladz are scared dey got demselvez anuvva fing cumin'.

I look forward to getting in a melee brawl with these new wolves. :D

See, there's the spirit! I see in some of the other threads that you seem less than pleased with some of the options in the new codex (;)), and that's fine, opinions are opinions, but flat out refusing to play an army because it is perceived on the 'net as over-powered (before it is even released) is just plain sad. :)

Fenrir
15-09-2009, 14:28
but flat out refusing to play an army because it is perceived on the 'net as over-powered (before it is even released) is just plain sad. :)

Sad thing is - people do it. They condemn an army due to internet talk and never actually play against it.

But then, people join dodgy religious cults too. Could there be a connection between believing what you are told and not questioning things? Hmmmmmm??????

Rick Blaine
15-09-2009, 14:43
I will not play against them...

Cause there aren't any SW players around here.

clanfield
15-09-2009, 14:46
been a wolf scince rt days thats not gona change anytime soon

Anarchist Angel
15-09-2009, 17:27
I will not play against them...

Cause there aren't any SW players around here.

I think there soon will be haha :)

Phyros
15-09-2009, 17:33
^^^^

And I'm betting some of them will be red, blue and green.

Thud
15-09-2009, 17:40
^^^^

And I'm betting some of them will be red, blue and green.

Come on, give the bandwagoners some credit. They'll be grey. Plastic grey, that is. ;)

BrotherMoses
15-09-2009, 17:45
lol I'll be so happy when the wolves codex gets here and this settles down a bit. I love a lively forum. Heck even the mewling of the chaos players is entertaining sometimes, but here lately things have been so busy I can't keep up.

Supreme Archon Orlok
15-09-2009, 17:54
Yeah I'm ready to take 'em, my Dark Eldar'll womp 'em good.

Can a wolf survive a Dark Lance to the face?

ReveredChaplainDrake
15-09-2009, 21:11
Competitively, Wolves are what Space Marines should be. Whenever I take my Templars or Night Lords against Codex Marines, the Codex Marines wind up getting totally spanked. Heck, I can even field my horde Tyranids against Codex Marines, and still come out on top. But the Wolves aren't weak at any range but the absolute longest (which is really IG and Tau territory), showing just how hardcore Marines can be in any kind of fight, not just firefights. (I've always found it strange that Marines shoot better than they fight. "Oh no, our Gaunts are dying! Run, run for safety! Quickly, into close combat with the Emperor's Finest!") The only reasons I don't play Wolves myself are (1) I aesthetically prefer fire and scales to ice and fur, and (2) I'm saving my $$$ for the upcoming Tyranids.

The wolves will be a bit more of a challenge that will be decided up close and personal, rather than practically calling an entire game early based on how many Rhinos I lose to Turn 1 shooting.

Johnmclane
15-09-2009, 21:26
I guess I have to... my only regular opponent is a SW player. New codex or not doesn't matter ... I never understand what he fields anyway and everything he has feels like cheating :).

So I stick to my usual strategy; shoot, pray, dodge, pray and have a good book to read when he hits the assaults and give him the box to put my models in. It usually works out fine. I win the first battle, draw the second and he wins the third, been the same way every time since fifth edition was released , and probably will continue that way :)

starlight
16-09-2009, 01:21

That's right now you're blaming the crazy on the lack of sleep...what next, too much sex...? :rolleyes:

:p

You think it gets *you* down...? Try Moderating 40K Gen...:eek:

:cries:

Edonil
16-09-2009, 01:26
I'll gladly play against the new Wolves, and I intend to make a Wolf army (planned on doing it six months ago before the rules were announced, so leave me alone!). I'm going to be making a Kell Hounds tribute army, so I won't be painting them in grey at all.

And starlight, thank you for putting up with us all as patiently as you do.

Hellebore
16-09-2009, 01:26
That's right now you're blaming the crazy on the lack of sleep...what next, too much sex...?

There's MODERATION going on here?! :eek:

I'll be using the new wolf codex because the space wolves are my oldest and favourite army. My Wulfen and normal armies will both see use, although I'll probably use the 13th company list for my Wulfen.

Hellebore

Bunnahabhain
16-09-2009, 02:00
Having seen a fair bit of the new codex, I'm fairly confident that I'll be facing them, and that their psykers will be everywhere.

I don't mind, Njall Stormcaller just became Njall Storm-Eagle-missile caller.
Artillery >> wolfpelts

Cognitave
16-09-2009, 06:07
I wouldn't worry to much about the Psykers.

If a player is focusing his entire army on them, he's basically buying a hamburger with cheese. He's completely missing out on all the other things that can go on that sandwich and make it great.

I'm hungry, by the way...

BrotherMoses
16-09-2009, 07:43
hey, if chaos wants their legions they could use the wolves 'dex.

laudarkul
16-09-2009, 08:40
I'm ready to fight against them. If the army is also painted much better.

loveless
16-09-2009, 14:23
The whining about the new book has gotten me so irritated that I'm seriously considering starting a Wolf army. Do not ask me how people moaning about a Codex is solved by me using that Codex...it just makes me feel better :p

Canis Wolfborn
19-09-2009, 02:12
I will play them forever and ever! Hail Russ and the Allfather!

Canis Wolfborn

trigger
19-09-2009, 02:21
This will be my 3rd company of wolves , 2nd ed , 3rd ed and now 5th drop company.
I only used to play wolves , but the bitchin finaly got to me during 4th about how over powered they were so i started my storm lords. My Eldar and got back on the sisters.
All three of the above armies are better all round ..in fact eldar are rock hard in all aspects of the game.
Yes the wolves will be a bit special , i will keep my list theamed to the fluff , 1 of each priest (bar SC). But i am well looking forward to the codex , been waighting for ages.

Just think nids and crons will be out next year and all the attention will go on them :D

Wolflord Havoc
19-09-2009, 02:32
Been a Space Wolf Player man and boy since they were a but a Marine Chapter with a grey paint scheme in the centre spread of the RT.

I didn't vote as you had no option for "Shall continue to use my Space Wolves using the new list - maybe adding some new models on the way" which is what I will be doing.

I have lots of bikes waiting to be finished for the last 2 years (pending new Codex) and will add 3 or 4 more GH squads (using mostly existing kits mixed in with some of the new - again been waiting for new Dex) as well as the new Rune Preist model.

I might also give in and have maybe just one Squad of Wulfen...whats that?.....surely you jest?...it was the one squad SW players wanted it must be in the new dex!...next you will be telling me that the new unit is a "nutter riding a Giant Wolf" hahahaha ha ha ha.....oh! I see! Ahem.

Ronin_eX
19-09-2009, 07:46
They are starting to show tell-tale signs of rules bloat but truth be told they don't seem to be much more powerful than C: SM. They have loads of options for more points and plenty that are less. They are a very flexible list (on par with, if not more flexible than the SM codex) which is quite nice. But I don't see them as being any more powerful than the recent stuff, maybe just a little over-engineered. If later codices don't get worse it should be fine but if this is a sign of the start of rules bloat then expect things to start getting crazy.

But it is no Chaos Daemons for WFB. That book is marked by its difficulty to make a sane and balanced list. The SW list is actually fairly easy to screw up and make an underpowered list. But having the possibility of four HQs and having several point sink units that can get really expensive really fast are something that stop it from reaching Chaos Daemon levels of broken. It will likely have a handful of power builds but that seems the norm with every GW codex these days.

If rules bloat continues then the next one will be Vampire Counts levels and the one to follow will be 40k's Chaos Daemon bork'd comparison. The one after that will then likely get the DA/BA/Chaos Marine treatment before things reset and the cycle begins again.

I am equal parts excited about and weary about the SW codex. On one hand it is incredibly flexible making non-standard homebrew chapters easy to do but it seems to be indicating a general trend toward increasing the amount of extraneous rules added. So not a powerhouse any more than C: SM is but not a weak list. It compares well to C: Orks and the two 5th Edition codices out right now at least, so here's hoping this balance lasts longer than the next "new direction". ;)

kardar233
19-09-2009, 07:48
I'll gladly play against the new Wolves, and I intend to make a Wolf army (planned on doing it six months ago before the rules were announced, so leave me alone!). I'm going to be making a Kell Hounds tribute army, so I won't be painting them in grey at all.

And starlight, thank you for putting up with us all as patiently as you do.

Will you be having any traitors (read: Wolves in Exile) in it? Maybe they should count as Lone Wolves, due to their utter lack of honour.

Too bad I don't have anything to represent the Thracian Steeds. Maybe a SW led by Wolfborn, using an all Wolf+Thunderwolf army. Wolves using Brettonian horses, Thunderwolves with Chaos Lords on Daemonic Steeds.

Frep
25-09-2009, 06:00
That's right now you're blaming the crazy on the lack of sleep...what next, too much sex...? :rolleyes:

:cries:

Sorry starlight but there aren't enough beers in this world to get me to do the job you get stuck with. Ok I lied ,Moosehead, and there'd have to be alot of them.

Tags
25-09-2009, 06:13
All I'm looking fore ward to is a a horde of wolves and wolf riders....

LordofWar1986
25-09-2009, 06:16
I enjoy playing my Guard too much to ever play wolves.

I think most IG players (most likely new ones) that starting a SW army will only hurt our wallets even more after getting an IG army.

Edit: But, I would sure like to play against some Space Puppies :D Just gotta remember to bring my choke chain and stun collar :p

starlight
25-09-2009, 06:17
Thankfully I already have the models I need...I hope...:p

Aedes
27-09-2009, 03:02
Let them come....
my nurgle marines can not only spread plaque, but rabies, too.
;)

Yautja
27-09-2009, 03:43
Of course i'll play them. They'll make as good of slaves as anyone else.

Logarithm Udgaur
27-09-2009, 03:59
I will not play against them until they get a complete FAQ. I do not want to spend the entire game arguing about what the definition of "is" is.

-IronWarrior-
27-09-2009, 11:37
No matter how awesome they look, Khorne Berzerkers will still whip their ass in close combat :)

Skraal2099
27-09-2009, 13:29
Of course! I have a few things that I don't like about the book, but if a space wolf player challenged me to a game, of course I would say yes! It's not just about winning and losing or gripes about the book, it's about not making the people who play with you think that you are a total jerk.

Nezalhualixtlan
27-09-2009, 16:53
I'd be happy to play against them. I don't think we have any gamers at my shop that do play them or will play them, but I wouldn't turn down a game against them, I'd just have to rise to the challenge.

Jaws of the World Wolf might do a number on my Carnifexes, but I'll just have to figure out a way to adapt, that's something we Tyranids are supposed to be good at.

And, we're due for our update in January, I imagine we'll have new toys to play with too by then.

Shadow Wulfen
27-09-2009, 19:53
As a long time Space Wolf player the new codex has impressed me greatly, it is a welcome upgrade to the army as a whole. As the only Space Wolf player at my regular hobby scene it shall be fun to build up a list and watch my opponents faces change from that look of cockiness (I haven't played in a while) to total confusion with my new list as I have my comeback games with the Wolves.

Wicksy
27-09-2009, 22:32
I'll play them happily. From what i've read there's little in the book that is over-powered. Perhaps Njal and that phychic power/kill any model you want spell. But htere's always a counter isnt there? My mate will be running space wolves so i look forward to seeing how they do!

rattman
28-09-2009, 23:43
I'll play them happily. From what i've read there's little in the book that is over-powered. Perhaps Njal and that phychic power/kill any model you want spell. But htere's always a counter isnt there? My mate will be running space wolves so i look forward to seeing how they do!

I been playing SW since 1993 so I will continue to play them. I think announcement of the tyranid codex for Jan was a fantastic, think a lot of the band wagon jumpers will go straight to that instead of SW

BattleSarge
29-09-2009, 01:15
Seeing as how I have had my wolves since RTB 01, I shall carry on with my Wolves.

Vedar
29-09-2009, 17:16
I think the SW will be very power, though that Is what I thought of the new IG dex and it was not as bad as I thought. We will have the wait and see when the dice start rolling.

MVBrandt
29-09-2009, 17:21
Anyone who thinks the new wolf codex is over the top crazy powerful and will break the game is an r'tard. Sorry. It's a good codex, and they're finally starting to price basic marines properly. Congrats to GW, let's all move along. IG and Orks will still wtfpwn most MEQ armies if played and built right, and that includes the new Wolves.

lordbeefy
29-09-2009, 18:04
I'll play anyone, with any army, with only 2 requirements.....

1. no cheats....hate them

2. players must not take it too seriously....its a game ffs

Myself I am a mainly guard player, so I will bring my masses of troops for the puppies to chew on, and pummel them back to their wannabe chaos marines holes they crept outta. For that bit of fun I will bring on some DH I allies in the shape of an inquisitor and retinue, and some GK's if required.

For every trick there is a counter, for every tactic a trap....never forget that.

Pheralan
29-09-2009, 21:22
I'll play them, happily. I've been waiting for several years for a new Wolf 'dex, and I'm not about to turn up my nose now that they've delivered.

That being said, the "power level" of the army will depend on the setting. At a tournament I'll play at a different level than I will in friendly games with my friends.

Plastic Parody
29-09-2009, 22:41
a lot of players are really exited about it, but on the other side, a lot of people are worried that it's going to be just too powerfull.

Insert New dex name at the start and there you have it, the standard reaction to a new dex. Ig had it, some crazy folk even said it about Marines too.

Just wait till Tyranids, then repeat above line.

Gray Hunter
30-09-2009, 00:14
I will be taking Space Wolves as my primary army, as I have for the last 15 years. The first Codex Space Wolves was my first ever GW purchase, and they're still my boys.

This Codex won't break the game. There are always flaws that an opponent can exploit. In the case of Space Wolves, they die just as easily as any other Space Marine, and the vast majority of army builds out there are geared to killing MEQ. If anything, most players should be happy that there will be a bunch of new (or returning, as in my case) players with a cool army which plays a little differently than vanilla Marines but which can be taken apart just as easily.

New codices are always good for the game.

shin'keiro
30-09-2009, 01:38
Will you play as/ against the Wolves?

Why wouldnt I? Theyre awesome! :confused:

DivineVisitor
30-09-2009, 02:36
Can't wait to bring mine back outta retirement :D

Preston
30-09-2009, 07:45
Years ago when I started collecting 40k I debated on which army to play. I had a choice - Big Gribbly Bugs or SW. Bugs had a new dex coming out (Old One Eye and the Red Terror days), new models, etc about that time. My love of giant monsters and the Aliens films made that my first army. Later, I wanted a marine army but some of the people I played with at the time had soured me on loyalists (though I still had respect for the SW) so I picked up Chaos. A lot of time has passed since then, Necrons have joined my armies, as have a few other small forces (Tau and Orcs).

Deep down though, there were 2 other armies that called to me - The Sisters of Battle (nuns with guns? yes please) and another, one that I may have chosen at the start.

The Sons of Russ. The only loyalist chapter I like. Noble warriors led by heroes of legend, scrog the Inquisitions suspicious probings and accusations of mutation and heresy! Scrog the foggy brained High Lords. Axe in hand and a howl of war piercing the night the Space Wolves will stand against those that would threaten the Empire, alone if they have to! And if they die in battle then their names will live in legends and feast halls! Howl brothers, so that our enemies may know their death has come!

after playing Chaos for so long it's tempting to put "Blood for the Blood God!" at the end there ;)

Personally, I will play the Wolves for their character, their fluff, and yes, any character I have that has the Saga of the Beast Slayer shall charge forward at that MC and try to hack it into small pieces. :)