PDA

View Full Version : Cloying Quagmire

Dartzstrong
12-09-2009, 00:34
Ok, so my buddy and I are thinking....I just sank his Treeman with Cloying Quagmire....really? Is that ok? a 9+ spell, he's almost guarenteed to fail the initiative check, and pass his armor save. Is there something wrong with this?

Dartzstrong
12-09-2009, 00:36
Also: how would this affect war machines?

Nurgling Chieftain
12-09-2009, 00:59
The quagmire is brutal against certain models like the Treeman. Still, it's only a 4/9 chance of killing him (2/3 fails initiative * 2/3 makes armor). Pretty much entirely useless against the REST of the Wood Elf army, though!

War machines don't have armor saves, so will never be affected by the quagmire. Amusing, when you think about it.

Enigmatik1
12-09-2009, 02:57
But what about a Steam Tank for instance? Or a Hellcannon?

Cloying Quagmire is basically an insta-jib vs. certain Lizardman and Dwarf units, fairly useless in the grand scheme of things vs. everything else.

Necromancy Black
12-09-2009, 04:26
But what about a Steam Tank for instance? Or a Hellcannon?

Cloying Quagmire is basically an insta-jib vs. certain Lizardman and Dwarf units, fairly useless in the grand scheme of things vs. everything else.

Can't hurt the Steam Tank as it doesn't hit it with a Str value. The Hellcannon does have an armour save so it can indeed get killed by it.

danny-d-b
12-09-2009, 14:37
pritty much the only things getting hurt by quagmire are
all dwarf units (spet slayers- especilly iron breakers)
sarus (both kinds I think depending on saves)
knights- (considering they use the lowist inishative? and the innishative of a horse is 3ish)
treemen/tree kin
graveguard/skellys?

most elf units will laugh at you though!

Urdokadin
12-09-2009, 17:26
i was under the impression it was highest initiative?

Caligula
12-09-2009, 17:35
As a Nurgle player, I can definately say that Cloying Quagmire is hit or miss, depending on the unit you're targeting, or even the army you're fighting against. I find it quite nice against undead units like Graveguard and the like, and I can only imagine the joys of using it against Dwarfs!

It is pretty useless against certain armies, and certain units within armies, so it's not typically the spell I'm most looking for when I'm rolling for my spells. Curse of the Leper and Rot, Glorious Rot on the other hand...

Nathangonmad
12-09-2009, 21:02
I find it quite nice against undead units like Graveguard

Another reason why grave guard with only heavy armor are win :D

zerachiel
12-09-2009, 23:03
Ok, so my buddy and I are thinking....I just sank his Treeman with Cloying Quagmire....really? Is that ok? a 9+ spell, he's almost guarenteed to fail the initiative check, and pass his armor save. Is there something wrong with this?

It is a 9+ spell that you'll first have to get through his anti-magic with, so it's not so overpowered (you blew 3 dice to get it off reliably, and he'd be pretty pressed or unlucky to let it go through). Besides, different units should be vulnerable to different things, the fact that the Treeman's pretty much unafraid of almost everything else in the army should also be taken into account. A 100-point Cannon can gib a monster thrice its points, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with its balance- it's designed to be an army's answer to monsters. On the other hand, it dies to 50 points of fast cavalry, who are designed to go warmachine hunting.

hlaine larkin
12-09-2009, 23:52
i dunno if anyone mentioned- but no for steamtank- as it is only affected by spells with a given strength

mantanza
14-09-2009, 20:42
I had 2 stegs gibbed by it this weekend in round 1 and round 2. Irrististable force, with Int 1 and Armour 3+ they where hosed!

hlaine larkin
14-09-2009, 22:36
yeahhh thats why i hate lore of shadows too :D im off to a tourney this week- luckily im taking qutie magic heavy (army comp point list so you get up to 10 bonus points for wrting a 'fair' list anything above 5 lvls of magic is -1 for lizardmen- so my slaan and engine is -1 :D but highly effective! (althogh my mage is only lvl 1))

Necromancy Black
15-09-2009, 06:21
I had 2 stegs gibbed by it this weekend in round 1 and round 2. Irrististable force, with Int 1 and Armour 3+ they where hosed!

If I put a skink character on the stegadon with the aquatic rules, do they become immune to Cloying Quagmire? :p

Unuhexium
15-09-2009, 06:42
Doubt it, aquatic creatures still have problems breathing in mud/quicksand. It's a neat idea though from a sort of fluffy point of view. =P

Sarah S
15-09-2009, 06:48
If I put a skink character on the stegadon with the aquatic rules, do they become immune to Cloying Quagmire?

Nope. The spell says "amphibious" units are immune to it - not aquatic.

Necromancy Black
15-09-2009, 07:28

Does that means my skinks can't breath on land and die if left out of water?

danny-d-b
15-09-2009, 07:56
Does that means my skinks can't breath on land and die if left out of water?

realy- wow a lot of dead skinks then
'that skink is 1/2 an inch out of the warter, he should be chokeing and dieing now'
'realy'
'yep he is aquatic, means he is like a fish'
'so you mean all my skinks on my stegs are dead too'
'yep'

I think GW messed up there- skinks can live in both, so the skinks them sleves are immune to quagmire, the steg (unless also aquatic) isn't and is fair game for it to sink insantly in to the mud and make the skinks swim

Jetty Smurf
15-09-2009, 07:57

Please remind me of the units in the game with the special rule "amphibious".

Please and thank you :)

Jericho
15-09-2009, 23:40
Imperial Guard Chimera I think :p

Sarah S
15-09-2009, 23:45
Please remind me of the units in the game with the special rule "amphibious".

Please and thank you :)

None. Since when is that my fault? :eyebrows:

I could write straight rules if someone paid me.

Nurgling Chieftain
16-09-2009, 00:41
They don't really pay those guys much.

Jetty Smurf
16-09-2009, 14:46
Would it really be an issue if I insisted my aquatic units were immune to this?

I mean really, amphibious? Aquatic? I know its not RAW, but it sure seems RAI.

PeG
16-09-2009, 19:09
doesnt matter much since the steg dies anyway. What you can potentially argue is whether the skinks lives or not.