PDA

View Full Version : Using Eye of Terror codex?

Tooooon
12-09-2009, 00:37
I am a massive fan of the entire EOT campaign, as well as the codex and armies within it, and have noticed that there is not even a single article alive on the GW website, or even a mention of it, which is a shame.

But thats not why im here, im wondering peoples opinions on me wanting to play armies from the EOT codex in modern day games. My playgroup for the most part is casual, but I wouldn't want to have to argue being able to use it when having a game, and im guessing it would be a more "If they say you can, its alright" scenario, but I don't fancy taking it to my local GW for a few games after buying to mini's just to be told to sod off.

Opinions?

Corrode
12-09-2009, 00:44
Your best bet is to build an army in such a manner that it can equally be used to 'counts-as' a modern Codex. Want to run Wulfen? That's fine, but take a back-up list where they're counts-as Wolf Guard spam. Want to run The Lost and the Damned? Cool, just have a second list where they're counts-as Guard.

If I remember that book rightly it was pretty ok (unlike the SoC lists) with the exception of the Ulthwe Gank Force. You'll probably only get to use that once.

Lord Cook
12-09-2009, 02:42
The problem is that the Eye of Terror codex is horrendously outdated, and that it references books that no longer exist. While applying a bit of common sense here and there can generally get you through any potential pitfalls, I would recommend just looking at an existing, up to date book and seeing what you can do in terms of counts-as.

For example, by using the Imperial Guard book, you could use Conscripts to represent Cultists, with hordes of cheap, low quality troops. Ogryns could be big mutants, while Colonel Straken fits very nicely as a powerful Chaos Marine character, or even as a small Daemon Prince. You get the idea.

harrytheschmuck
12-09-2009, 02:48
i really liked that book, i wanted to do a chaos list for ages. i think maybe they may end up doing the traitor legions. whether it will be in a shared book or split into gods or something they have expanded some other the other imperial codex's so why not chaos. they could have an undivided and use guard in there. forge world have done a wonderful range of models that are just screaming out to be used. come on GW. let the Galaxy burn!!

silashand
12-09-2009, 03:43
As someone mentioned, the book references older codices so it is hard to translate everything to the current edition. The best thing I can think of is to build a normal list from a current codex and then simply ask permission to use one of the special units/options from the EOT book such as Black Guardians, Wind Riders, etc. These were the primary differences for most of the listed armies so shouldn't be too bad in casual play (just avoid the Ranger Disruption Table like the plague as it will p*ss pretty much anyone off). Basically if you say to your opponent(s), "Hey, I've got an Eldar army themed around Saim-Hann, would you mind if I use the rules for them from the EoT codex?" This would be much more palatable to opponents if you've actually taken the time to convert them as well. JMO though...

This way you have a legal army and if for whatever reason they don't want to play against the options you have, all the general units work pretty easily as counts-as options (normal guardians, jetbikes, etc.).

MadHatter
12-09-2009, 07:50
In a friendly game I would be cool with it. I think it would be fun to play that campaign again. I would want you to use the codex that are current for those units that need them. But I would say yea. But don't expect everyone to be willing.

marv335
12-09-2009, 07:56
sure, just don't expect to be allowed to use black guardians (hey can I give my guardians +1 Bs for free?)
Although it's so horribly out of date, you're better off not bothering.

wolf40k
12-09-2009, 08:09
I used to run a 13th company myself(wonder of I could use my Wolfen models for now?)
I do believe though, that when the Space wolf codex comes out next month, all of the codex's that it tells you to reference have been replaced.
Those lists in the book aren't balanced anymore, not that they were in the first place, so you might **** off people that you are playing so I would just use one of the updated codex and theme it around the old list.
For example, the lost and the dammed list, has chaos marines, use Deamon Hunter or Witch Hunter Allies.
It may not be the same but your army is legal and your friends stay happy.

Steel Legion for Life
12-09-2009, 08:15
sure, just don't expect to be allowed to use black guardians (hey can I give my guardians +1 Bs for free?)
Although it's so horribly out of date, you're better off not bothering.

To be fair, the Ulthwe strike force was one of the least competitive armies ever made.

BS4 Guardians are still guardians. Even BS4 warwalkers and vypers look much worse when only half of them start on the board, and they are the only target because you can't have any falcons.

Dangersaurus
12-09-2009, 09:21
Use it. What's the worst thing that could come of it?

Cypher, the Emperor
12-09-2009, 09:52
I played a game today using my old 13th company list and it went without a hitch. Sure having scout as an army wide rule is crazy good in the new edition but to put it bluntly:
I tied against Dark Angels.

The problem is that the list has a huge potential for spam (Bikes and Wolves especially). I didnt go that route, but the potential exists.

Also, from my cursory look at the new Space Wolf codex, the 13th list should be totally compatible. The strange wording of the 13th list almost makes me wonder if they were planning on a new wolf codex that then got pushed back or something, because the way it references the SW codex are very vague.

For instance, it never gives page numbers or specifics. All it says is that: You can take THESE things from the wolf dex, and gives you some restrictions, or it says that a power replaces another one. Or under special rules it says that they "Have the special rules outlined in Codex: Space Marines and Codex: Space Wolves"

And even though it references "the armory" which doesn't exist anymore, the sentence after that says that their pack leaders are equipped just like wolf guard. And it would hamper any 13th company only HQ choices, because then they wouldn't have an armory to get gear, but there arent any choices that are unique to the 13th that aren't equipped as if they were Wolf Guard.

Anyways, I think the 13th list is fine in moderation, just dont expect people to tolerate cheese if you bring it. But if you play it as a mid tier list then I doubt anyone but a totally anal rules lawyer will care, and who wants to play with those guys?

wolf40k
12-09-2009, 10:06
Nothing in 3rd edition referenced page numbers, and the space wolf codex was only a couple years old when EoT came out, so I doubt that they were thinking of a new one at the time.

Lothlanathorian
12-09-2009, 10:43
(just avoid the Ranger Disruption Table like the plague as it will p*ss pretty much anyone off). Basically if you say to your opponent(s), "Hey, I've got an Eldar army themed around Saim-Hann, would you mind if I use the rules for them from the EoT codex?"

What wires did you get crossed my friend? None of what you mentioned is even remotely close to being in the EoT Codex. That is all Codex: Craftworld Eldar.