PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boyz Vamps

mtgbob
12-09-2009, 06:47
Thinking about attending ard boyz with my vamps.

Here's the list that I'm thinking about taking...

Vampire Lord
1 Vampire Lord (General; Level 3 Upgrade)
1 Skull Staff
1 Helm of Commandment
1 Master of the Black Arts
1 Summon Ghouls
1 Dark Acolyte

Vampire Lord
1 Vampire Lord (Level 3 Upgrade)
1 Zombie Dragon
1 Dreadlance
1 Wristbands of Black Gold
1 Red Fury
1 Avatar of Death (Shield)
1 Dark Acolyte

Vampire
1 Vampire
1 Sword of Might
1 The Flayed Hauberk
1 Talisman of the Lycni
1 Summon Ghouls
1 Dark Acolyte

Vampire
1 Vampire
1 Summon Ghouls
1 Dark Acolyte

Vampire
1 Vampire
1 Book of Arkhan
1 Summon Ghouls
1 Dark Acolyte

Crypt Ghouls
9 Crypt Ghouls
1 Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghouls
9 Crypt Ghouls
1 Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghouls
9 Crypt Ghouls
1 Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghouls
9 Crypt Ghouls
1 Crypt Ghast

Skeleton Warriors
12 Skeleton Warriors

Corpse Cart (Unholy Lodestone)

Corpse Cart (Unholy Lodestone)

3 Fell Bats

5 Cairn Wraiths

Varghulf

Varghulf

any suggestions?

Boondock
12-09-2009, 07:44
As it stands, I do not fear this list with my 2,250 Vamps, much less my 3,000.

Unholy Lodestones are worthless here, you have so much magic support that they will never be worth it. Change them to Balefire to counter your complete lack of magic defense. Why the hell would you give your ****** Vampire the Flayed Hauberk when you have a flying Lord with a bullseye on his head? Give him the Hauberk.

Drop the skeletons for Zombies since nothing in your army can raise them past twelve. Then drop the Dreadlance from the Lord for Blood Drinker, and use the points to buy yourself a Banshee in the Wraiths. Whatever you want to do with the remaining 11 points is up to you.

Chaseyboy1er
12-09-2009, 14:20
the list isn't that bad. i happen to like the auto hitting vampire lord on dragon. he worked for me before. but i agree with the skeletons. if anything, give them the standard where they won't crumble and stick them in a corner just for some victory points.

mtgbob
12-09-2009, 18:09
guess i should clarify on the skellies. The idea that i had for them was to use them as a bunker for the casters.

puppetmaster24
12-09-2009, 18:33
a bunker that is only 12 models strong. it is like having a bunker made out of tracing paper and held together with glue.

mtgbob
12-09-2009, 20:39
What would be a ideal number for a bunker that is supposed to hold the casters at the back of the army?

artyboy
12-09-2009, 23:37
12 skeles would get slaughtered by anything that could feasibly flank your army and combat res would probably be enough to take down your lord, too. You need a bigger unit with a command to have an effective bunker. The champ is there to accept challenges. Give the standard bearer a war banner for max CR.

mtgbob
13-09-2009, 00:16
wouldn't raised zombies be effective counters as tarpits/redirectors for anything that could feasibly flank the army, especially with the amount of power dice running around in the list

now isn't the purpose of the bunker mainly to protect the vamps from shooting/magic and if so isn't 10-15 decent enough to take care of that especially since the vamps can regen the unit with invocation? and if not how many would be ideal to to absorb casualties.

Gokamok
13-09-2009, 00:59
You'll want to run a Ghoul Bunker, since all your vamps are made for raising Ghouls anyway, so just replace the Skellies.

I don't think the Fell Bats are gonna do much good when you can't raise them above starting size, so I'd suggest either replacing one of the summon powers on a vamp, or drop the bats altogether.

I believe that Balefire will be a better option for your Corpse Carts. Sure, the extra raising is nice, but you'll run into some absolutely sick magic lists at 3k, and your 18 PD should be enough to raise your Ghouls sufficiently.

I'm not sold on the Zombie Dragon. Do you have a plan as to how you're going to use that Vampire, especially against other large flyers? A Bloodthirster will obliterate him no matter if you get the charge or not, and I can see quite a few combat lords fending him off as well. Do you think he's strong enough to work for you, and do you think he can function without other fast moving support elements? (apart from the Varghies of course)

mtgbob
13-09-2009, 07:06
I have a plan for the lord and zombie dragon but how i use it will mainly be on a case-by-case basis. Now as far as charging big things such as bloodthirsters will lets just say that if i see something like him or similar i'll try to use a tarpit to tie him up for the rest of the game barring that work on trying to redirect him as well.

taking into consideration some of the suggestions made, I worked on a revised list...

Vampire Lord
1 Vampire Lord (General; Level 3 Upgrade)
1 Skull Staff
1 Helm of Commandment
1 Dark Acolyte
1 Master of the Black Arts
1 Summon Ghouls

Vampire Lord
1 Vampire Lord (Level 3 Upgrade)
1 Zombie Dragon
1 The Balefire Spike
1 The Flayed Hauberk
1 Book of Arkhan
1 Wristbands of Black Gold