PDA

View Full Version : How many troops?

hellhammer6
12-09-2009, 17:12
Are there any philosophies out there regarding minimum troop numbers?

I've heard it said that these are the absolute minimum troop selections that must be taken to be competetive (by any army):

1500 pts: 3 troops

1750 pts: 4 troops

2k+: 5 troops

Opinions?

ashc
12-09-2009, 17:14
Depends on the army, what your actual troop choices are like (for instance, Chaos can build a very strong army just based on troop choices, Space Marines not so much) and what your personal preferences to playing style are.

Bunnahabhain
12-09-2009, 17:17
It depends on your troops choices.

1500pts, you could happily build an army on 2 squads of nob bikers, or 2 mechanised Guard platoons. That's just two troops choices, but can easily be 500-600pts each, and still remain sensible.

Even at 2000+, you could still run 2 mechanised platoons for all your troops choices quite happily. Or you add some heavy weapons squads, from the same two platoons. who sit at the back with the company command squad to provide a static fire base to manoeuvre against.

Therefore no, I don't agree. These are just the first two exceptions that jump to mind.

EDIT: How many of the blue show off marines, Vampire marines, Inquisition marines, depressed marines, spikey marines, furry marines, GW cashcow marines etc, etc, can have terminators as troops? Any of the lists based round troops terminators in land raiders are going be coming in under that that troops choice to points ratio.

grissom2006
12-09-2009, 17:25
Very much depends on the army and the person your playing my own Chapters SM army always fights with a full 6 troop choices but thats due mostly to the armies theme.
I've know 2500pts armies with only two troop choices that walk over just about everyone mind you was a CSM list.

marv335
12-09-2009, 17:54
depends on the army.
Orks;
I tend to field 6 in anything over 1500pts
Marines;
4 is usual

Veloxnex
12-09-2009, 20:45
My salamander army runs a 5man and 10 man tac at 1750.
basicly just so much other stuff that it gets left alone, or gives the hard hitters free reign

Tsear
12-09-2009, 20:51
It depends completely on the army. My eldar get away with two 10-man avengers and a 15-man guardian squad at 2000, but the avengers are incredibly hard to kill as they're in serpents, and by the time guardians make it onto the board from reserve nothing's left to shoot at them.

Lord Cook
12-09-2009, 20:52
Four is usual for me at 1,500 points, but as Bunnahabhain said there are endless exceptions. It depends on the army, and even then, it also depends on what type of that particular army you run.

starlight
12-09-2009, 20:54
It depends. :p

However I usually end up with four to six Troops choices unless I'm going for large IG Platoons, in which case three or four in normal. :)

Captain DD
12-09-2009, 23:17
I love having a lot of basic guard troops in any point list. With common sense weaponry. Supported by a tank or two.

Imperius
13-09-2009, 01:53
I always take 6 platoons of Guardsmen.
It completely eats away at my points, but with a Lord Commissar I always fit 2-3 tanks to fit the deal. Sometimes I mount them in Chimeras, but that just is like CTRL+ALT+DELETE towards my other options.

The only way 'points limit' affects me is how many Guardsmen I use in each platoon :p.

I mean, when you have THAT MANY meltas and flamers on the board, you are hella difficult to boot off of objectives and to avoid.

Ghost-13
13-09-2009, 03:31
I take 4 squads of troops minimum with my eldar. 2 dire avenger squads, 1 jet bike squad, and then 1 squad of rangers to sit on an objective or table quarter.

MrGiggles
13-09-2009, 03:48
As most folks have said here, pretty army and player dependent. I tend to be a little biased because I just like troops and if I can take a unit of soldiers rather than a vehicle, I often do.

As to the 'How many troops do I need?' question, it really depends. Some armies such as Guard, Orks, Chaos Space Marines and Space Wolves have inherently good to outstanding troop choices and some pretty interesting things you can do with them to boot. Some of the other armies really depend on the diversity a good unit mix brings to the table.

For objective based games, I generally bring one more than I think I need, which means that at the 1500 point mark, I'm usually running 4 or more troop choices with my Orks. Since my troops tend to be fun, I use a pretty similar build for Annihilation games as well. Generally speaking though, you want to go heavier on troops (or scoring units for some of those special armies) in objective games and in kill point games, you can go a little lighter and load up on units which are hard hitting and hard to get rid of.

the1stpip
13-09-2009, 09:25
Yeah, it does depend on the army. SMs can get away with two, as they can combat squad, while Orks tend to use lots as their boyz do a lot of work.