PDA

View Full Version : Wing conversion on the new Tyrant?

Yaro
10-05-2005, 22:59
To those who already own the new Tyrant, what do you think would be the best way to convert them with wings? I'd prefer to grab the Forgeworld winged Tyrant, but at about $145 Canadian, that's a tad much for a bit of resin. At the same time, I'd prefer to not spend $55 on the Tyrant model, and another $45 on Bloodthirster wings or the like.
Any other suggestions?

Lion El Jason
10-05-2005, 23:51
plastic dragon wings or there are a lot of old fantasy monsters with smaller metal wings. IMO the new tyrant does not lend itself to wings as well as the previous one...

Thousandth Son
11-05-2005, 02:21
Well as Jason has said, the new Tyrant doesnt really look like it fits with most of the current wings on the market. So you may actually have to get the Forgeworld one if you want one that is "New". Of course if you have the skills with the green stuff then you could probably go that route.

Mantus
11-05-2005, 04:15
Well yar take them spines on its back and hack em off. Then yar take them wings and slap em on er the spines use ta be. Der ya have it, a Tyrant with wings.

the spook
11-05-2005, 05:26
You don't by chance play orks do you Mantus?

TheSonOfAbbadon
11-05-2005, 16:57
He sounds like a pirate, not an Ork, and Ork would have said:

Well yer take 'em spiny fings on its back and chop 'em off. Then yer take 'em wings an' slap 'em on where da spikes use ta' be. Der yer 'ave it, a Tyrant wiff wings. 'Courze uz Orkz could beat 'im easy!

Wez
11-05-2005, 17:03
I'd just buy the old one and add dragon wings to that.

The new tyrant with wings is going to look pretty silly imo. It would be like a hippo flying.

-Wez

Flame Boy
11-05-2005, 17:26
Hey! Don't mock flying hippos! we have to get around somehow... :(

Okay, establishing the fact that I'm not actually a flying hippo, I must admit the new Tyrant doesn't look like it would suit wings really... The problem is that you could try some extensive remodelling to make a lighter-looking Tyrant, but that would take a lot of time and might not work well...

Would it be possible to split the carapace and part it to look like wing covers? I guess it would look goofy and still wouldn't reduce the bulk of the model that much... It would also further reinforce the "bug" aspect of the 'Nids, which I don't really approve of, but hey, you're choice.

Oh, and TheSonOfAbbadon, I think what The Spook's comparison of Mantus to a possible Ork player is that just sticking wings onto a Tyrant Carapace might look very out of place... I guess he was asking if there was a an Orky mentality of cobbling bits together to get the results. Sure, you'd have a Tyrant with wings, but would it look convinving? ;)

I personally think you would need to convert the carapace somehow so that the wings aren't magically sprouting out of solid carapace. With the new model, that might be tough...

Yaro
16-05-2005, 16:31
The new Tyrant seems to lend itself just fine to wings, as is evident here: http://gallery.warpshadow.com/album53
Problem is that model probably cost about $200 to build :D

zealousheretic
16-05-2005, 17:15
That conversion is 31 entirely unique kinds of awesome. That is all.

Lostanddamned
16-05-2005, 21:21
Personally i dont like the feet, i think sticking to the hooves and making the legs tucked away would look better

Lion El Jason
16-05-2005, 23:13
Well I suffered a great many of the original (2nd ed) tyrants quickly hacked to have wings when the 3rd ed codex was released so I'm sure the new one will fare better than that...

methoderik
16-05-2005, 23:24
Uuuaahh... oh no... must clean mess in my pants...

Scythe
17-05-2005, 07:36
I'd get the old one and give him dragon wings. Not original, but works best. The new one is too bulky and needs huge wings to work, which are extremely expensive.

Wolflord Bloodangel
17-05-2005, 08:21
Well I suffered a great many of the original (2nd ed) tyrants quickly hacked to have wings when the 3rd ed codex was released so I'm sure the new one will fare better than that...
My housemate converted up a 2nd edition Hive Tyrant with wings and it looks better than any 3rd ed conversion Ive seen.

Scythe
17-05-2005, 08:29
A 2nd edition with wings would be dwarfed by a normal 4th edition Tyrant tough.

Wolflord Bloodangel
17-05-2005, 08:39
Which explains its lack of extended carapace nicely ;)

Scythe
17-05-2005, 08:45
:D

Maybe it should get the 'small target' special rules as well...;)

Flame Boy
17-05-2005, 17:06
Well, now that I've finished clearing up the puddle of drool I left on the floor after seeing than nasty pouncy-tyrant, I must now buy a hat and eat it to confess that obviously the new tyrant can be made to look good with wings if your try hard enough... still want to see the joints connecting the wings to the body though.