PDA

View Full Version : Teclis + BoS vs Teclis + Mage

Olannon
13-09-2009, 15:40
Hey, I'm intending to attend a tournament shortly where the following restrictions apply:
Max 10 PD
No duplicate Rare choices (save for 2 HE/DE RBT's which are allowed)
Every special char counts as +1 Hero choice, and each army may only have 1 special char

So basically I'm intending to field combined arms HE, with Teclis as my main magical contributer (alternative is going AM). As such, the following question arises:

Would you rather have Teclis + lvl 2 seerMage OR Teclis + banner of sorcery. The first alternative yields 8 + D3 PD while the second yields 6 + 2D3 PD (statistically the same). Now, I'm wondering how much the extra 130 points are worth - it gives spell redundancy (how important is this under these restrictions?) and separates the casters, so that killing one won't nullify my list. However, for those extra points I could buy a lethal noble (white sword, ToL) or a Lion Chariot for example.

Thoughts appreciated!

vinny t
13-09-2009, 16:52
I would go with BoS and take a white Lion Chariot. It gaves a lot of extra hitting power

Condottiere
13-09-2009, 17:00
It depends on your strategy.

On the whole Teclis by himself with the added firepower of the BoS is quite a powerhouse. You only need to remember to limit your opponent's magic phase or try to kill off any Lord level wizards; also to protect Teclis as if the game depended on it, which it does.

Foxbat
13-09-2009, 17:07
Would you rather have Teclis + lvl 2 seerMage OR Teclis + banner of sorcery. The first alternative yields 8 + D3 PD while the second yields 6 + 2D3 PD (statistically the same.)
When I have used Big T, I have always found he’s better with a wing Mage. My preference is for a level 2 kitted out as you have proposed. The wing Mage is really useful when dealing with Dwarfs (given the tourney constraints, you should expect a fully tooled Anvil of Doom).

While I prefer the level 2, there is a good level 1 alternative; give the wing Mage the Staff of Sorcery. This results in a magic tag team that is cheaper points wise and generates 1 less PD, but is much more efficient at using Big T’s extra DD, especially against bound items (using 1 DD: auto dispel all bound spells with power level 3 & 50/50 on power level 5 items). If the tourney rules do not have an equivalent PD count for bound items, then this combo may prove to be more useful.

Foxbat
13-09-2009, 17:20
So basically I'm intending to field combined arms HE, with Teclis as my main magical contributer (alternative is going AM).
What are you considering for the rest of your list?

It should be kept in mind that a Big T based list typically uses a stand off strategy, meaning you will need a couple of march blocker/redirection units.

Also, you should double check the duplicate rare choice flexibility for HE players. Itís a bit odd that HE players canít have duplicate Great Eagles.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
13-09-2009, 18:32
Would you be allowed to have Teclis with BoS since that combination can generate 12 PD potentially?

If you are then definately go for that.

(Assume BoS generates 2 PD per turn.)

Pros: 115 cheaper (!!!), the 2 PD are being rolled with Teclis' IF special rule, the 2 PD can be used to help get "the big spells" off (i.e. Teclis has access to on average 10 PD)

Cons: 1 less DD (though not too bad as the army would still have on average 6 DD) , only one magic caster (though it' not like you're intending for Teclis to be killed), army can only have access to one law.

I think here the pros outway the cons. Note also though if the Lv2 was fielded he would only have access to 2 PD as it's not like you want to give the armies pool of PD to him considering Tecis' IF special rule. With this in mind it's not like he's going to be getting off any of his (2 PD) spells since the enemy will most likely have a few dispel dice spare that they were unable to use against Teclis (I wonder why ha ha ha). Lastly if the Lv 2 is fielded Teclis only has access to on average 8 PD.

I believe the choice is a real no brainer and also that the PD limit could work to your advantage. Which other army can produce 10 PD that are used by a mage who (big breath) causes IF on any double except a 1, is immune to the effects of his first miscast each turn, knows all the spells from the law he chooses, has a LD of 10, generates on average 4 DD per turn and has a dispel scroll which has a chance of destroying the spell it dispels for 525 points!!!

If you did field Teclis due to the restrictions of your tournament I would recommend 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers and an Eagle. Also essential is a BSB with 2+AS/5+WS in a big block of Phoenix Guard with the BoS and MSU's of Dragon Princes and/or Lion Chariots .

PeG
13-09-2009, 21:02
Any restriction for Dispel Dice? The magical defence you might face is interesting for how power you need in your casting.