PDA

View Full Version : Armourless Space Marine

Borg451
13-09-2009, 20:19
Seeing this model for Bloodbowl made me thinkive finally found the perfect model for me to use as a Armourless Marine..

What you think? Have you done anything similar?
Comments/Critique?

Argastes
13-09-2009, 20:27
Too bulky and ogre-like, IMO. GW art of Marines without their armor (in IA, for instance) has shown them being more athletic and muscular. No reason you couldn't do it, though.

Wicksy
13-09-2009, 20:29
He's a bit fat IMO to be a space marine....cant really think on much suitable. How about converting up from catachans and Necromunda Goliath guys?

Wolfblade670
13-09-2009, 20:34
I thought "fat" when I looked at him at first as well, but I think its just the groin guard/kidney belt that makes his belly look big.

Borg451
13-09-2009, 20:51
I thought "fat" when I looked at him at first as well, but I think its just the groin guard/kidney belt that makes his belly look big.

yeh.. i think so too

the necromunda ones dont look good i dont think

anyone got pics of any armourless space marine
s

StormWulfen
13-09-2009, 20:59
count him as heagr from wolfblade:p

Argastes
13-09-2009, 21:00
yeh.. i think so too

the necromunda ones dont look good i dont think

anyone got pics of any armourless space marine
s

The "Rites of Initiation" Index Astartes article has some. I wish I could scan and post them for you but my scanner isn't with me at my current residence :(

eltanko
13-09-2009, 21:20
I agree that particular model doesnt look quite right, the face looks fine, hard and weathered, but quite porky!!

I like the idea, so dont get me wrong, but there would have to be some kind of story behind it, because arent the models supposed to depict them in battle? Would still look good though, so go for it :)

ElTanko

PondaNagura
13-09-2009, 22:02
hmm, he doesn't exactly have much of an abdominal section. add an actual stomach/6-pack and lengthen the thighs/shins and maybe change the stance it would be okay...

Gue'Vesa'Vre Kilo
14-09-2009, 03:41
I agree, the model looks a bit too ogre like instead of a marine.

Actually, when would a marine take of his armour? at a shower or something?

InquisitorNiels
14-09-2009, 05:31
Does anyone have that model next to a normal armoured space marine?

Argastes
14-09-2009, 05:44

Uhh... when not training in it, fighting a battle, or engaged in some ceremonial activity that requires it to be worn (parades, feasts, etc.).

Condottiere
14-09-2009, 06:53
Actually, when would a marine take of his armour? at a shower or something?I wouldn't be surprised if Marine sweat is a substitute for machine oil, to keep the armour joints lubricated.

TheDarkDaff
14-09-2009, 10:44
I wouldn't be surprised if Marine sweat is a substitute for machine oil, to keep the armour joints lubricated.

Wax isn't it. Just the thing to keep their armour nice and shiney.

DA are noted as wearing robes without their armour when in the Tower of Angels unless they need it for training or cerimonial purposes. That does seem to fit the "warrior-monk" image of Spacemarines we are given by GW. Although i have also seen references to Marines wearing a "bodyglove" which i assume is pretty much a unitard (they love their lycra).

grissom2006
14-09-2009, 10:54

When sparring doing certain forms of training although the wear PA they can have to power sources knocked out so physical fitness plays a part in a Marines life (still love the story of the Marines power pack get taken out so he moves by shear will and physical strength). Read the HH books they spar in against one another in simple towels about the waist. They also spend their they time in quiet meditation so they don't need to be wearing it then unless in battle. Plenty of other source material out there citing when Marines haven't or don't wear it.

synapse
14-09-2009, 10:56
lol! his arms are wider than the plastic marine arms...

Idaan
14-09-2009, 11:10
I think that Gunnery Sergeant Harker is a readily available armourless Space Marine, no need to look into the other ranges ;)

Argastes
14-09-2009, 11:14
I think that Gunnery Sergeant Harker is a readily available armourless Space Marine, no need to look into the other ranges ;)

Good point actually, he's probably about the closest model that GW has ever produced.

I always figured that when not in combat or power-armor training, Marines wore a simple tunic or monk-like habit.

CthulhuDalek
14-09-2009, 11:17

For a simple headswap you get a naked long fang!

Philip S
14-09-2009, 12:21
What you think?
I think it is not that far off, needs a smaller head and to loose a bit round the middle, and the arms may be a bit too thick, but not that far off from what I imagine the marine physique to look like.

Too bulky and ogre-like, IMO. GW art of Marines without their armor (in IA, for instance) has shown them being more athletic and muscular. No reason you couldn't do it, though.
Yet those interpretations of unarmoured marines would not fit inside the armour as defined by Jes Goodwin. About the only standard and 'official' diagram of the power armour is by Jes. So you may have to take them with a pinch of salt.

Where all have our preferences when it comes to marines, and the background is so mutable, it is hard to rule out any one type. I went for the Jes diagram when designing my version (here) as it is the closest to 'official' as I could find.

I would say to the original poster that it's up to you, and your personal preference, as there is never going to be agreement between fans. I mean some fans insist on going 'True Scale' while others are happy with the current 'short' range. If you take my images (which many of the true scalers use: like doghouse and synapse) then that ogre is not that bad a starting point ;)

Philip

DeathTyrant
14-09-2009, 15:23
I do think that Marines would have to have freakish proportions (pin heads compared to their bodies, almost) for them to actually fit in the armour.

I mean the SM knee joints and such need to be where the Power Armour knee joints are after all.

UselessThing
14-09-2009, 18:29
Have you considered Thrudd?

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/images/thrud01_1.jpg