PDA

View Full Version : Can a DP have it's good points?

Drakcore Bloodtear
14-09-2009, 17:32
On the weekend i'm going to be playing in a 3 way between dwarfs and skaven and I opted to take DoC now i'm not the kind to make a cheesey list and that's why i'm taking a DP now as I was making the list I came across this

Deamon Prince:
Mark of Tzeentch
LV1
Master of Sorcery
Winged Horror
and either Soul Hunger or Immortal Fury
pt=465

Now give him lore of fire and cast Sword of Rhuin on himself and there you got a St8, hitting on 2+ and A6 and with either re-roll to hit or wound I think it's a good lord choice with it being cheaper then most GD

What do you think?

Avian
14-09-2009, 17:36
I think they can have their good points. The problem with DPs as I see it are mainly about how much they cost, not that they're otherwise crap or can't be useful.

For example, one problem with your guy is that he can only throw two dice at any spell, which you can get around by spending yet more points on him to make him a level 2. So it's not that you can't get around things, it just ends up costing a whole lot.

Harwammer
14-09-2009, 17:59
So it's not that you can't get around things, it just ends up costing a whole lot.

and its not like Daemons are cheap so you can't go wasting your points on a soft choice like the Daemon Prince.

Avian
14-09-2009, 19:23
I don't play Daemons, I play Warriors, but in any case 500 pts is a bit on the expensive side for a 'fun' option. I take Pump Wagons for fun, they cost 40 pts each. :p

Harwammer
14-09-2009, 20:55
I don't play Daemons, I play Warriors

Me the same. The one time I have taken a DP on my warriors it pretty much single handedly beat an OnG army with IF casts, terror and simply chasing down fleeing units.

I don't see him being much good against an army that isn't vulnerable to psychology, and I guess this is especially true for the daemon one.

Drakcore Bloodtear
14-09-2009, 21:06
talking about WoC hows about

Deamon Prince WoC:

Mark of Tzeentch
Lv4
Tendrils
Third eye
Conjoined

Now make sure he has Gateway then just cast it on 5 dice re-roll any miscasts and add D3 just to make it extra hard

Any good?

Kalec
14-09-2009, 21:11
Not the 1 out of 3 games where he doesn't roll gateway.

Drakcore Bloodtear
14-09-2009, 21:29
Not the 1 out of 3 games where he doesn't roll gateway.

Well just cast anther spell :p

Avian
14-09-2009, 21:47
Since he's not completely hopeless in combat, I reckon you can take the Mark of Tzeentch and make him a level 1.

Flickering Fire is excellent for the casting value anyway and he can fly around and be bothersome. I'm very fond of my BSB on Disc, but several times during the tournament this weekend I found myself very worried about placing him somewhere he could get shot by a bolt thrower since he only has 2 wounds. A Prince would have been much less worried about that.

Peregijn
14-09-2009, 21:54
but there is still the issue that the prince is very expensive for what he does. \can the golden eye of tzeentch help out in this scenario? or that wapon that if you do one unsaved wound with it you cast terror...
i know little bit off topic because its not a demon prince but i don't know if i am going to take a demon prince in a 2000P game... 3000P i would give it a way more serious thought.

Drakcore Bloodtear
14-09-2009, 22:04
but there is still the issue that the prince is very expensive for what he does. \can the golden eye of tzeentch help out in this scenario? or that wapon that if you do one unsaved wound with it you cast terror...

The Golden eye is just there just incase you need that one spell that the opponent may have I toke because I was makeing a Tzeentch army at the time but you don't need it

Drachen_Jager
14-09-2009, 22:08
i know little bit off topic because its not a demon prince but i don't know if i am going to take a demon prince in a 2000P game... 3000P i would give it a way more serious thought.

WoC Daemon Prince cannot take magic items, which is a big part of the reason why he sucks.

Drakcore Bloodtear
14-09-2009, 22:13
I need to ask even if it is off topic but which greater deamon should I use against the dwarfs (not to bothered about the skaven) I was thinking about a BT but he'd get shot then I thought about a GUO but Nurgle magic will do nothing against them

Any help?

Kalec
15-09-2009, 04:37
Always, always, always go keeper of secrets.

Peregijn
15-09-2009, 13:23
and why go keepr of secrets? if the dwarf goes anti magic there is not verry much you can do there.
the chance of your bloodthirster being shot to death is verry big but you get also get him in combat on the second turn, charge some smale handgunner unit for example overrun them and bam you have a bloodthirster behind enemy lines

if i remeber correctly than the frenzie rules state that you need to charge if something is in range but it doesn't say you need to charge the closest target ;)

Draco74
15-09-2009, 21:02
Blood Thirsters aren't Frenzied. Thay can charge what every they want.

Peregijn
15-09-2009, 21:47
right, call me old fashioned... i was think old hords of chaos where the mark of khorne on the deamons did the same thing as on the mortals given them frenzy and +1 dispel dice... ah that where the day's

Falkman
16-09-2009, 10:10
I ran a Slaanesh Daemon Prince in a test game with my new daemon list yesterday, and except for rolling exceedingly bad for his attacks in combat I think he's really good.
I made him lvl2, gave him an Etherblade, Winged horror and a Torment blade.
6 attacks ignoring saves is nothing to scoff at, and he can support units and deal some damage with his magic even when he's not in combat (I rolled Acquiescence and Cacophonic Caress, I think I must've killed about 20 models in total with Caress, between him and the Herald I also took).
He comes in at 495 pts, and while that's a bit expensive, it's a lot cheaper than a tooled Greater Daemon.

the_orc
16-09-2009, 14:09
I like the relatively cheap Tzeentch DP with Lvl1 Magic and that Gift for -1 on all psychologytests it causes.

Pretty useless against Undead though, but they won't get the points for it either.

Against everone else, just fly around and cast your magic missile against small units to generate as many psychologytests as possible. Even Dark Elves start to fear that guy if their general is on the other side of the table.

MarcoPollo
16-09-2009, 22:47
Against dwarves you need speed to win the movement phase. The other way to win the movement phase is by using the siren song. You control his movement. So you could use a keeper with siren song, or just a herald. Either way, when you make his gunline charge you, rather than shoot you, you are doing well.

Drakcore Bloodtear
17-09-2009, 17:38
Against dwarves you need speed to win the movement phase. The other way to win the movement phase is by using the siren song. You control his movement. So you could use a keeper with siren song, or just a herald. Either way, when you make his gunline charge you, rather than shoot you, you are doing well.

Instead I got Herald of Tzeentch and gave him heavens through master of sorcery so cast comet and watch those dwarfs run :D

MarcoPollo
17-09-2009, 18:50
Instead I got Herald of Tzeentch and gave him heavens through master of sorcery so cast comet and watch those dwarfs run :D

Of course there is more than one way to skin a dwarf.

PeG
17-09-2009, 19:08
against non-Thorek dwarfs I would argue that the thirster is the best option. As for the viability of playing a DoC daemon prince they are a good option their main problem is that with DoC a greater daemon gives more bang for your points.