PDA

View Full Version : terradons vs chameleon skinks

jigplums
15-09-2009, 08:59
whats your opinions? i think terradons are really weak and i can see them getting blasted out of the skys, but flyers rock. I love the chameleon skink models, but there not what they used to be. for there points they seem worth it though

Ophidian
15-09-2009, 10:46
the fact that terries can fly in and out of woods should really help them avoid getting shot down. i find mine get killed a lot, but then that's because I'm overly reckless with them.

As for karma-karma-karma-karma-karma chameleon skinks... I can't bring myself to take a 12 point dude with toughness 2. It's just not right. Your milage may vary.

Ultimate Life Form
15-09-2009, 10:54
both have rather different applications; it's not really 'vs'.

SabaLoth
15-09-2009, 10:57
Agree with ULF.

They both aquire a degree of skill to be used to the fullest

Falkman
15-09-2009, 11:19
Terradons are absolutely incredible in the new book.
Not only do they gain the ability to fly through woods and to drop rocks (basically negating enemy fast cav and skirmishers) but they also work like fast cav themselves for the purpose of baiting and fleeing.

Necromancy Black
15-09-2009, 11:50
I'll take a unit of Cold One Rider's over either any day.

Ultimate Life Form
15-09-2009, 12:02
With 90 points left?:eyebrows:

Gaargod
15-09-2009, 12:19
Terradon Riders are better, imo. Drop rocks allows you to delete enemy fast cav/skirmishers and they hit hard enough to kill any war machine crew. LD6 coldblooded fast cav means they can seriously irritate opponents - if they could take a musician they would be crazy.

They are slightly more expensive too mind.

Axis
15-09-2009, 13:24
Terradons are much more irritating. It stops people leaving characters alone and can pwn small units of fast cav/skirmishers that are irritating.

Rez
15-09-2009, 16:21
What about 10 Skinks Skirmishers vs 6 Chameleon Skinks? Pretty much the same points, and they fulfill a similar role. Is the scout and extra BS worth the more overall flexibility of the SS?

For the original topic, I would go with the Terradons nearly every time. Better at march-blocking, more one-turn damage output (rocks) and a lot harder to catch than the Chameleons.

Korhil-WLC
15-09-2009, 21:53
Terradons.

They can actually march block, divert fast cav/mages away from them. and the only real way to kill them is with magic.

Axis
15-09-2009, 23:34
What about 10 Skinks Skirmishers vs 6 Chameleon Skinks? Pretty much the same points, and they fulfill a similar role. Is the scout and extra BS worth the more overall flexibility of the SS?

For the original topic, I would go with the Terradons nearly every time. Better at march-blocking, more one-turn damage output (rocks) and a lot harder to catch than the Chameleons.

I'd take the skink skirmishers. More resilient and core.

SabaLoth
16-09-2009, 06:07
i'd probably take the skinks and the chameleons :D

jigplums
20-09-2009, 08:39
interesting, i originally really felt that terradons had be nerfed in the new book, but they aren't really that expensive for what they can potentially do. Also things with wings are cool.
i love the chameleon skink models but im just not sure if they are worth it over regular skinks

Atzcapotzalco
20-09-2009, 11:34
I'd say the role of terradons has changed enough to make it very difficult to compare them to the previous version, but for a relatively cheap unit they're still very useful. Subject to circumstances, drop rocks is either a useful few extra hits or an invaluable means of catching fast fragile units that might otherwise be a serious annoyance. Even after using their rocks a flying move and poisoned javelins make them very good at chasing weak targets, and US2 means three or more can be a flank/rear attack bonus, or outnumber artillery crews, admitting they have to be very careful what they fight. As for they're being very fragile-yes they are, but a small unit is also expendable.

Chameleon skinks I have fielded once or twice, and again found very useful for a small and cheap unit, and definitely more than worth the extra points over regular skinks, which I now only field at all as part of mixed units. Interesting point-while lower toughness, chameleon skinks do have more wounds for the same points cost than terradons, and are a lot harder to hit with missile weapons.
If it comes down to a direct comparison, I admit I very rarely play without at least a small unit of terradons, but quite frequently leave chameleon skinks out, so I suppose being honest I think terradons are better, but not to the exclusion of their rivals.

Kayosiv
20-09-2009, 23:41
The thing that I don't like about Skink Skirmishers, is that you generally move, double shot, and then are at long range (it's hard to get any skirmishers within 6" let alone an entire unit of them) meaning that you hit on 7's, negating poison. With chameleon skinks, you can do all of the above and still hit on 6's.

Another way to look at it, a skink skirmisher Bave (champion) is 13 points. Chameleon skinks are 12 points, and have the exact same stat line as a Bave. Meaning you get an entire unit of Bave's for -1 points a model, while getting scouting for free.

vor'anoth
21-09-2009, 06:12
terradons, they ROCK, literally. they work well in disrupting your opponent

SabaLoth
21-09-2009, 06:13
don't forget the -1 to hit!!

but they eat up a special slot, it's al about personal preferences