PDA

View Full Version : G. wpn Grave Guard Always Strike 1st 2250pts

Bladelord
15-09-2009, 12:06
Hello I recently did this army list & what do you guys think about these two blocks of great weapon wielding skeletons. Will try this list in tournaments & if it works Ill convert some White Lions for Grave Guard & Lion Chariots for Corpse Carts, reply/advices about both converting, painting, tactics & what you think about the idea of Undead High Elves of Chrace.:) The List is 115pts short btw, advices to what to do with these points would be greatfull.

Lords & Heroes:
General Vampire(100), Dark Acolyte (30), Avatar of Death (20),
the Flayed Hauberk (25), the Gem of Blood (25).
Total: 200pts.
Vampire (100), Avatar of Death (20), Walking Death (25),
the Hand of Dust (50).
Total: 195pts.
Vampire (100), Avatar of Death (20), Walking Death (25),
the Book of Arkhan (35).
Total: 180pts.
Wight King (75), BSB (25), great weapon (10), Staff of Damnation (40).
Total: 150pts.

Total: 725pts.

Core Units:
30 Zombies (120), Standard Bearer (8).
Total: 128pts.
30 Zombies (120), Standard Bearer (8).
20 Crypt Ghouls (160), Crypt Ghast (8).
Total: 168pts.
Corpse Cart (75), Balefire (25).
Total: 100pts.
Corpse Cart (75), Unholy Lodestone (25).

Total: 724pts.

Special Units:
21 Grave Guard (252), great weapons (21), full command (30), Banner of the Barrows (45).
Total: 348pts.
21 Grave Guard (252), great weapons (21), full command (30), Royal Standard of Strigos (35).
Total: 338pts.

Total: 686pts.

Total: 2135pts.
11,5 in Army Composition right now

General & 1 Vampire with Walking Death in Grave Guard Unit with Royal Standard of Strigos.
BSB & other Vampire in Grave Guard Unit with Banner of the Barrows.
Zombies for protecting flanks.
Just played Vampire Counts once so I dont know very much about them except that the Zombie Dragon's nasty, just like any other dragon ofc;)

oma
15-09-2009, 16:21
the wight night should always have "killing blow on 5+" magic weapon.

Nathangonmad
15-09-2009, 17:19
the wight night should always have "killing blow on 5+" magic weapon.

Agreed. Then put him in the squad that has the strigos banner. If the target isn't immune to KB its a high chance to kill.

Bladelord
15-09-2009, 17:26
Ok thanks, will try with Sword of Kings on him then. But are you sure that it would be good with the Wight King in the unit with Royal Stanndard of Strigos instead of Banner of the Barrows, was thinking about the vampires dont get +1 to hit from the Barrows banner.
Staff of Damnation worth to put on a vampire instead of the magi item/items theyre using?

complexfire
15-09-2009, 18:08
Love your army list and idea.. Couple of changes I would make.

Upgrade your general to a Lord; Keeping with your theme equip him like this
Lord
Level 3
Forbidden Lore (choose beast)
Summon Ghouls
Flayed Hauberk
Crown of the Damned
Black Periapt
** now he is a level 4 with ivocation and ALL the spells from a single law of magic. He also has 2+ armor and 4+ Ward (and is stupid and you can play it off as he is struggling with his past life as a goodie!) Also the Periapt will allow you to save either a power and/or dispel from phase to phase depending on what you are facing**

If you drop the Book and give the vamp the staff of damnation this will allow you to give your Wight BSB the sword of Kings and the Enchanted shield. Great combo

Zombies and carts are super cool and leave them as is. Drop your ghouls to 15 (now you can summon more with the lord)

Drop your two Grave guard units to 19 each with same gear. Deploy these unitis 7 wide (you want big frontage with the staff and all your vamps). With the two chars in each unit you will be 7 by 3 and all sorted! Super duper army either way and would look swell all converted and painted up!

Cheers
-Complexfire :D

PS.. Total is now 2238 w/ above changes. Enjoy!! :)

Chaseyboy1er
15-09-2009, 22:14
i would change the wight king to a vampire, give him dark acolyte, avatar of death, the bsb, and the drakenhof banner. this will make sure at least one of your grave guard units will get into battle because you could persay be playing a gunline dwarf army which will run those two units.

Bladelord
16-09-2009, 11:59
Ok this is the new list with most of the changes you told me about:)

Lords & Heroes:
Vampire Lord (205), lvl.3 Wizard (50), Forbidden Lore (35), Dark Acolyte (30), Summon Ghouls (15), Avatar of Death (20), the Flayed Hauberk (25), Crown of the Damned (35), Staff of Damnation (40).
Total: 455pts.
Vampire (100), Avatar of Death (20), Walking Death (25), the Hand of Dust (50).
Vampire (100), Avatar of Death (20), Walking Death (25), the Book of Arkhan (35).
Wight King (75), BSB (25), Sword of Kings (25), Enchanted Shield (15).
Total: 140pts.

Total: 970pts.

Core Units:
25 Zombies (100), Standard Bearer (8).
Total: 108pts.
15 Crypt Ghouls (120), Crypt Ghast (8).

Total: 644pts.

Special Units:
19 Grave Guard (228), great weapons (19), full command (30), Banner of the Barrows (45).
Total: 322pts.
19 Grave Guard (252), great weapons (21), full command (30), Royal Standard of Strigos (35).
Total: 312pts.

Total: 634pts.

Total: 2248pts.

I upgraded the General to a lvl.4 Lord & gave him all the items except Black Periapt, instead I gave him the Staff of Damnation so I could keep Book of Arkhan (can use it in combat to give always stirke 1st & re-roll misses you know ;))
I like the idea about Sword of Kings+Enchanted Shield on Wight King.
I dropped 5 Zombies in both units & 2 Grave Guard & ofc Ill have the Undead White Lions 7x3:)

About the Lore of Beasts & casting Bears Anger on vampires I like alot but rest of the lore seemsy pretty crrap for this army in my opinion.
The Bear's Anger = Imba
The Oxen stands = Crap
The Crow's Feast = Useful but other lores got better magic missiles
The Beast Cowers = Awesome spell
The Hunter's Spear = Never liked it
The Wolf Hunts = Crap

Where should I take the points for the Vampire BSB with the Drakenhof Banner?

What should I do if I meet a dragon or gunline like Chaseyboy1er said?

Thanks for the replies everyone & complexfire :D

Gokamok
16-09-2009, 14:06
I don't think the Drakenhof Banner will be very useful in this list, since a shooting heavy army will just nuke the unit of GG that doesn't have the banner, and then delay the unit with your BSB. Dwarf gunlines especially will not care about it, since they usually have several flaming war machines that ignore regeneration anyway.

As for Forbidden Lore, I really think that you need to take Lore of Vampires in order for your GG units to be effective in combat, especially since your GW-armed Vampires are very dependant on ASF in order to survive combat. If you start your magic phase by casting Vanhel's on both GG units (once they get stuck in combat, that is), then you might be able to force your opponent to spend his dispel dice on that, thereby allowing your Corpse Carts to grant ASF for both your own and your opponents turn, even though you won't get the rerolls to hit.

I'm not quite sure what role the Ghouls fulfill in this list, (Apart from them being a decent combat unit) but I think that with 2 rock hard units of infantry and 2 tarpits to guard your flanks, you might be better off taking some kind of support units.

As a suggestion, you could get 6 Dire Wolves (raised Chracian Lions) 3 Fell Bats (raised War Eagles) and mount your BSB on a barded steed for the points, which would take his save from 3+ to 1+, and also give him the option to charge out of the unit if a target exposes itself.

EDIT: Switching the Lords raising power to Summon Creatures of the Night would likely be a good idea if you remove all your Ghouls :D

Bladelord
16-09-2009, 15:06
I don't think the Drakenhof Banner will be very useful in this list, since a shooting heavy army will just nuke the unit of GG that doesn't have the banner, and then delay the unit with your BSB. Dwarf gunlines especially will not care about it, since they usually have several flaming war machines that ignore regeneration anyway.

I agree, & if I would equip my BSB with a magical banner I believe the Flag of Blood Keep would be better cause of ward saves not as easy to ignore than reg. even if it doesnt give any save in combat.

As for Forbidden Lore, I really think that you need to take Lore of Vampires in order for your GG units to be effective in combat, especially since your GW-armed Vampires are very dependant on ASF in order to survive combat. If you start your magic phase by casting Vanhel's on both GG units (once they get stuck in combat, that is), then you might be able to force your opponent to spend his dispel dice on that, thereby allowing your Corpse Carts to grant ASF for both your own and your opponents turn, even though you won't get the rerolls to hit.

Im used to High Elves lvl.2 magic users equipped with +1 spell & Seer & I always get the spells I want ( with seer its easy to get but I mean the 1 with Silver Wand :P ), is it really so damn good with +2 spells for 35pts? I mean, the most spells Ill use are Invocation of Nehek & Vanhel's Dance Macabre & if Im not unlucky Ill roll Vanhel's Dance most of the times+I got 2 lvl.1 vamps.

I'm not quite sure what role the Ghouls fulfill in this list, (Apart from them being a decent combat unit) but I think that with 2 rock hard units of infantry and 2 tarpits to guard your flanks, you might be better off taking some kind of support units.

I like their stats but will think about it, got any suggestions what ghouls can represent?

As a suggestion, you could get 6 Dire Wolves (raised Chracian Lions) 3 Fell Bats (raised War Eagles) and mount your BSB on a barded steed for the points, which would take his save from 3+ to 1+, and also give him the option to charge out of the unit if a target exposes itself.

Bats ok & raised lions would look cool on the battlefield:), btw what unit's best for screening 2 7 wide blocks? Zombies cause's theyre cheap, Spirit Hosts because theyre ghosts or any other unit?

EDIT: Switching the Lords raising power to Summon Creatures of the Night would likely be a good idea if you remove all your Ghouls :D

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

complexfire
16-09-2009, 21:13
Ok this is the new list with most of the changes you told me about:)

Lords & Heroes:
Vampire Lord (205), lvl.3 Wizard (50), Forbidden Lore (35), Dark Acolyte (30), Summon Ghouls (15), Avatar of Death (20), the Flayed Hauberk (25), Crown of the Damned (35), Staff of Damnation (40).
Total: 455pts.
Vampire (100), Avatar of Death (20), Walking Death (25), the Hand of Dust (50).
Vampire (100), Avatar of Death (20), Walking Death (25), the Book of Arkhan (35).
Wight King (75), BSB (25), Sword of Kings (25), Enchanted Shield (15).
Total: 140pts.

Total: 970pts.

Core Units:
15 Crypt Ghouls (120), Crypt Ghast (8).

Total: 644pts.

Special Units:
19 Grave Guard (228), great weapons (19), full command (30), Banner of the Barrows (45).
Total: 322pts.
19 Grave Guard (252), great weapons (21), full command (30), Royal Standard of Strigos (35).
Total: 312pts.

Total: 634pts.

Total: 2248pts.

I upgraded the General to a lvl.4 Lord & gave him all the items except Black Periapt, instead I gave him the Staff of Damnation so I could keep Book of Arkhan (can use it in combat to give always stirke 1st & re-roll misses you know ;))
I like the idea about Sword of Kings+Enchanted Shield on Wight King.
I dropped 5 Zombies in both units & 2 Grave Guard & ofc Ill have the Undead White Lions 7x3:)

About the Lore of Beasts & casting Bears Anger on vampires I like alot but rest of the lore seemsy pretty crrap for this army in my opinion.
The Bear's Anger = Imba
The Oxen stands = Crap
The Crow's Feast = Useful but other lores got better magic missiles
The Beast Cowers = Awesome spell
The Hunter's Spear = Never liked it
The Wolf Hunts = Crap

Where should I take the points for the Vampire BSB with the Drakenhof Banner?

What should I do if I meet a dragon or gunline like Chaseyboy1er said?

Thanks for the replies everyone & complexfire :D

So I use beasts all the time on my Undead.. It works so well.

#0 Invocation - SPAM TO RAISE Ghouls and keep you units alive
#1 Bears Anger - Agree great spell.. Remember you can use it not only on your chars buy also your unit champs.. So you could take a challenge with you wight champ and he would get 5A @ S6 and be T5! Not a bad unit champ! LOL
#2 Onxen stands - useless.. Meh there is always one
#3 Crows feast - Great magic missile. Wonderful for getting big blocks of troops. (humans, goblins, skinks, rats, ELVES etc..) Remember big range and 2D6 for a 7+.. Priceless!
#4 Beast Cowers - BEST SPELL IN THE GAME.. 7+ to cast and stops cav, chariots and monsters.. hehehe so amazing spiffy super coool
#5 Hunters spear - I don't use it much, but people forget about it. And you have no idea how many times people have lined up cav or whatnot forgetting about that spell. Always cast it at the end of the phase when you have a line of cav in front of the vamp.. hehehehe
#6 - In your list you have nothing much to use this with. In my army I have a vargulf and a black coach so it is useful then. not so much for you! :(

I have taken other lores of magic with my vamp. Fire is a good one as well. However most everyone I play seems to have cav and/or a large monster somewhere on the field. And even though the flaming sword is pretty cool.. All those attacks are even better! Oh and everone loves a 7A, S7, T6 Vamp Lord with hatred... EVERYONE... Couple that with Red Fury!! MUHAHAHA and you kill more things than you can shake a stick at! :skull:

Bladelord
17-09-2009, 09:28
He he ye Beast Cowers are one of my favourite spells too & many players even forgets to dispel Bears Anger, dunno why. :D
Best 2 spells & lore in game in my opinion: Beast Cowers, Transmutation of Lead & High Magic, bad you cant take High Magic with forbidden lore. :(
Well well, support spells are my favourite so Ill skip fire & light.
Will try this list out when Im not sick anymore vs a friend of mine playing WoC, Ill take beast to try it out & see how well the spear smashes knights & the face of him when my champion becomes a monster. ;)

Bladelord
17-09-2009, 09:34
Btw, could maybe give him a bow for the magical spear hehe.