PDA

View Full Version : Better Strategic choice and Point Value? WOC Lord or Sorcerer?

TroyJPerez
16-09-2009, 09:27
So in everyones opinion which is a better value and choice for warriors of chaos? The Chaos Lord or the Sorcerer Lord? I've been using the Chaos Lord for a while and find he never really earns back his points and is very expensive for what he does. I've been considering just going with a level 4 mage to give me some more range and added magic defense. Any thoughts?

Commodus Leitdorf
16-09-2009, 12:46
I believe the common consensus is the Sorcerer Lord. The magic he brings begins threatening the enemy right from the first turn so you don't have the same problem of not getting his points back.

Plus it's generally believed that the Chaos Lord is too expensive for what he does....though personally (as an Empire player) the idea of having a guy who can seriously break faces has a certain appeal to me (as my guys generally dont kill all that much :angel:)

Avian
16-09-2009, 12:48
It depends (mostly on which items you want to kit him out with and how desperate you are for a Ld9 general, but also on what armies you face).

I prefer my Sorcerer Lord as with a 20" flight move and 18" to 24" range on his spells, he can hit just about anything on the board. A Chaos Lord is limited to hitting things in his 20" front arc of sight and is much more limited by line of sight than the wizard.

When I get a Hellcannon, I might change my opinion.

Mullitron
16-09-2009, 13:07
I agree that the sorcerer is better, the lord is far from weak but because most of the woc units are soo powerful in combat they dont need support of characters for most fights.The exalted hero properly equipped can take on alot of enemy lords and so theres less need to pay the extra points for the lord other than better leadership. The sorcerer however has access to some powerful spells to attack a wider range of opponents, can help defend from enemy magic and unlike most mages can have a good save. They can have a fast mount and run around with good protection from shooting with the golden eye and mark of tzeentch.

Axis
16-09-2009, 13:26
I like Chaos Lords, they are one of those undoubtably cool things in warhammer. However, there are some problems with them atm. They spend a lot of time killing unit champions. They are also quite expensive.

However, i can't think of any other (non-special) character choice that strikes as much fear into enemies.

MarcoPollo
16-09-2009, 21:39
In General I believe the sorceror is the better value. As for most of the reasons stated above. But if you want a nasty sorceror lord, you can kit him out to fight and he can be nasty too. Something like a warior familiar and word of agony, with whatever else suits your taste.

Unuhexium
16-09-2009, 22:10
My two cents:

I prefer the Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch on a Disc. On a good day he can take down 30-40 % of the opposing army by himself. 4-5 turns of Gateways and Flickering Fires sort of does that. Ofcourse, he can be utterly useless for 6 turns aswell, but then again, it's part of the game. A Sorcerer Lord is quite versatile.

A Chaos Lord on the other hand sure is a force to be reckoned with, but he can only strike one part of the battlefield in a single turn. and then he probably needs one turn to turn around and get ready for another chanrge. The plus side of a Chaos Lord is that he's reliable and will probably do what you've geared him for. There's no such thing as dispelling a fatal case of sword-poisoning. A Chaos Lord need a specific job.

Max1mum
17-09-2009, 07:02
...chaos lord of tzeentch on disc...

Neo44
17-09-2009, 07:54
Anyone ever tried playing againts both?

Its not fun-3k game WE (me) vs WoC and he had a sorcerer lord on disc and chaos lord on steed of slannesh...

It hurt

jigplums
17-09-2009, 09:29
anyone tried running a chaos lord on black dragon?

Max1mum
17-09-2009, 09:33
black dragon ?!

we can't do that...can we ? ..i don't think we can ;-) we have to call it 'chaos dragon'

but i doubt that that's a good idea. The one wound mounts are so much better, it's easyer to kill the dragon from underneath a tooled up chaos lord, then it is to kill the actual chaos lord ;-)

Althwen
17-09-2009, 12:42
black dragon ?!

we can't do that...can we ? ..i don't think we can ;-) we have to call it 'chaos dragon'

but i doubt that that's a good idea. The one wound mounts are so much better, it's easyer to kill the dragon from underneath a tooled up chaos lord, then it is to kill the actual chaos lord ;-)

I tried this actually in a couple of 2.5k battles. I played him versus HE, DE and VC.

Both times when playing against HE, my lord+dragon met his prince+stardragon quite early on in the game. The first time I completely obliterated the stardragon (my lord had RUnesword, so the entire model's attacks came to a staggering 12 str. 6 attacks) and this took me 2 attempts... needless to say, the prince turned tail but was overrun.
Now I was free to breathe havoc!

The second time I wasn't so lucky with my saves and the stardragon actually knocked my lord off my dragon. My dragon in turn slew his prince and we were left to a fight dragon vs dragon. Unfortunately a Stardragon > CHaos Dragon...

Versus Dark ELves I had moderate success. I didnt get killed as I had expected, but my opponent is a regular pain-in-the-ass DE player. He uses the most mobile version of the DE army possible, and a CHaos lord+dragon is a hell of a lot of points that you DONT want to chase shadows with!
I ended up killing something pretty decent, but that unit's sacrifice left his other units free to outmanouvre me.
DE is probably the only army that can actually outmanouvre a dragon :S

Versus VC I got overconfident (This was my first game against the new armybook) and charged his Black knights including the Wight Lord BSB...
I never managed to break the unit as I found out in that game that the new summoning spell actually raised the champion back first...
And my Lord+Dragon left me no points to spend on magical defence that could match his Necromany-heavy army... So after about 3 turns I got swamped by Black knights... imagine that!
Anyway, that should teach me to read my opponent's armybook before engaging him on the battlefield :S

EDIT: Conclusion: Way too many points for one model!

-Althwen

Max1mum
17-09-2009, 14:39
what about my earlyer mentioned lord of tzeentch on disc...

with a runeshield and axe of khorne ? That 'should' spell the death of -any- character out there.

and might actualy be worth it compared to a Sorc Lord..

thoughts ?

PeG
17-09-2009, 15:16
Axe of khorne makes your attacks flaming (If I remember correctly) meaning that HE will have a laugh at his expense but as longs as he avoids things that are immune to flaming attacks he should do good although you will not be able to use his LD that you did pay a lot of points for.

I prefer hitty heroes since they are almost as good as the lord for killing things in close combat for a lot less points.

Mullitron
17-09-2009, 15:36
Axe of khorne makes your attacks flaming (If I remember correctly) meaning that HE will have a laugh at his expense but as longs as he avoids things that are immune to flaming attacks he should do good although you will not be able to use his LD that you did pay a lot of points for. .

Think you may be thinking of the demons of chaos item, axe of khorne for warriors of chaos gives killing blow and +1 str. (which in the hands of an exhalted with mark of khorne gives 6 strength 6 atttacks which is hardly bad for a hero)

Avian
17-09-2009, 17:25
with a runeshield and axe of khorne ? That 'should' spell the death of -any- character out there.
I don't think the Runeshield is all that great as it is only really useful against one thing - a character with a very nasty magic weapon - and limiting yourself to full effectiveness against such a limited range of foes does not appeal to me.

I got the AoW Chaos Lord which I will put on a Disc and paint for the Tale this year, and my current thinking favours the Sword of Might, Armour of Morrslieb (3+ Ward against non-magical attacks) and the Collar of Khorne (5+ Ward against everything else and MR2). If you wanted to, you could swap the Collar for a Talisman of Protection (my BSB is currently carrying that and I think I want to stick with that setup) and that will give you enough points for a more expensive weapon.