PDA

View Full Version : Viral Marketing.

de Selby
11-05-2005, 02:16
There's a thread in GW general that touched on this subject, but it caught fire. My intentions are rather different, so keep it civil, please.

We've all heard of companies deliberately marketing their products through word of mouth, particularly in an anonymous way over the internet. Personally I doubt GW has the nous to pull off something like this, but I've often thought that others might try it here.

The random musings board in particular is commonly a home to threads about new movies, games and books. Portent hosts a large number of members whose genre enthusiasms and spending habits would be of great interest to marketers. I know we get the occasional obvious spambot, but has anyone ever spotted anything here that they suspected was a paid-for opinion or review? If Portent isn't big enough to attract this kind of thing, has anyone come across it elsewhere?

Will any Portent member admit to being paid (or otherwise rewarded) to spread good word-of-mouth on some product in the past?

Just curious.

Delicious Soy
11-05-2005, 08:23
I doubt it. Only GW would bother with such a diverse group of people (GW being the one thing we have in common to all of us). The amount of geographic diversity would also negate any benefits they'd hope to get, there's just too few people spread out too far across the globe.

Sylass
11-05-2005, 09:11
I'm not paid by GW to post here, but I'd certainly not mind finding a large box of miniatures and/or an invite/plane ticket to the GW HQ in the mail every now and then. ;)

I'm posting here out of free will...well, I joined out of free will, got sucked in and now I can't leave anymore. :(

Yes, it's that sad. :D

*ahem*

I don't even know if that advertising concept you mentioned would be worth it. At least I'm not going to buy a book/dvd or watch a movie in cinema just because some more or less anonymous dude I saw posting on an internet forum said it was a great dvd/movie/book.

Maybe it's just me getting old and being comfortable with being 'out' and not having to follow the latest trends (apart of the "new army syndrom every now and then, of course ;)), but I don't think that concept would really work. At least not for me.

Well, it could work with a younger audience and if you'd be someone who's known by a huge amount of people and had a lot of influence,...similar to the TV/movie stars/supermodels you see advertising in commercials.

arxhon
11-05-2005, 14:54
Viral marketing was a buzzword on the net a few years back when advertisers started realizing that popups just pissed people off and were rarely ckicked on. It doesn't stop some of them from using popups anyway. :rolleyes:

I don't konw how effective "viral marketing" is. I'll lsiten to people on the net who's opinion i hold as valid (like Pertinax or JP/AT, for example), but it takes some time for that person to get to that point, and obvious shills get shut down. I'm not going to listen to some random joe waxing ecstatic about the latest Gooberball or whatever.

I think the idea behind viral marketing is to get people talking about something, rather than directly sell stuff at them.

Cheesejoff
11-05-2005, 15:50
Certainly not. GW is the most friendly company I have ever dealt with. After 20 years of switching from various wargames companies, I finally found GW and have been hooked ever since. Their prices are bargains and they really care about their customers. GW would never stoop to hiring stooges. They respect their customers. That's why, to me, GW isn't just another company. They're one big Family, and I'm proud to be part of it *wipes away tears*

Sai-Lauren
11-05-2005, 16:08
I think the idea behind viral marketing is to get people talking about something, rather than directly sell stuff at them.
I wonder if Ain't-It-Cool counts? IIRC, the guy who runs it (ran it, is AIC even going still?) started off as just a random guy on the internet, but as his popularity grew, he started getting approached by the studios to go on studio tours and premiers, got inside information etc, and so on. And lo and behold, he started giving very good reviews to movies that probably didn't deserve it.

But nothings yet got quite to the stage of The Footage in William Gibsons' Pattern Recognition (quite a good book), and to be honest, I'm not sure anything really could. Maybe the big movie trailers are the closest we've had (like Ep 3). They tend to get passed around by word of mouth, rather than a dedicated media campaign.