PDA

View Full Version : Magical Shield on Sorcerer Lord

zerachiel
17-09-2009, 01:52
The WoC Sorcerer Lord is not allowed a "mundane" shield option. Does this mean he is also not allowed to use a magical shield? The rulebook stated that someone not allowed normal shields will not be allowed magical shields.

However, no one in my area bats an eye when a Vampire or Vampire Lord comes along completely decked out in 3 tonnes of magical armor, while they cannot choose mundane options either.

Necromancy Black
17-09-2009, 02:14
Have you not read the rules that say Sorcerers are allowed to take magical shields? Pretty sure there is a similar rule for vampires.

bludsturm
17-09-2009, 04:00
The Vampire book does indeed state explicitly (on the page w/ magic armor) that they can take magical armor options.

zerachiel
17-09-2009, 04:53
Hmm, guess my Sorcerers are out of luck. :\

The Red Scourge
17-09-2009, 05:16
Stop whining, you can get a hero sorceror with a 2+ save that can go toe to toe with most other heroes out there.

And take a look under the sorcerers rules - I think its under the rules for chaos magic - its written right there, that magical shields are in fact allowed. The FAQ supports this too, so go download the FAQ it will in this case make you a happy man - and in others not ;)

Unuhexium
17-09-2009, 05:46
The rule you're looking for is on p.106 (iirc) of the WoC army book. Chaos Sorcerers and Sorcerer Lords can have magic armour. I'm almost flabberghasted by the mindbogging amount of people who miss that importent paragraph.

sulla
17-09-2009, 05:46
Hmm, guess my Sorcerers are out of luck. :\Check your WoC armybook. Pg106, Using chaos Magic, 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence... The answer is there for you.

EvC
17-09-2009, 11:57
It's a tricky one, but the army book does suggest it and the FAQ confirms.

theunwantedbeing
17-09-2009, 12:15
The problem is the wording.

"chaos sorcerers are unusual in that they wear chaos armour and use magical sheilds or magic armour just like other champions of choas"

Which can be taken from a RAW point of view as "they can use them if they are allowed regular sheilds", which they arent.
Although this of course makes the entire statement 100% pointless drivel that never needed to be there.

So the intent is very clear that chaos sorcerer's are allowed to use magical sheilds.
Which the FAQ confirms.

I had this argument with a friend of mine after he announced that his opponents chaos sorcerer was illegally using the runesheild to protect himself from his character's deathpiercer. It was ruled in the game that the runesheild was indeed illegal and the poor sorcerer head his head taken off by a killing blow hit that the sheild would have otherwise negated.

RAW and RAI arent usually anything like this clear cut and it is only mentioned on that 1 page, unlike with VC where its in the most helpful position (which people still miss).