PDA

View Full Version : daemon prince joining furies?

the_night_reaper
15-01-2006, 15:33
I know that in the rules it states that a flying unit may never be joined by a character so therefore I can't join my daemon prince to the unit.

BUT

Maybe the rules should be changed a bit for dp because in the BRB it says that characters cannot join flying units because they are only mounted on a flying mount. I assuming this rule came out before the hordes of chaos book did because a dp actually has it's own wings and is not flying on a mount.

The only thing in the BRB saying that you can't join the dp to the unit is that it says no flying units may be joined by characters (which over rules the rest of it). But the explainations of why the rule is in effect leads usto think that daemon princes can and should be able to join flying units like furies or screamers.

Just the thought of giving the daemon princes 5+ extra wounds from shooting and dramatically reduce the effects of a cannon ball shot at him is SO sweeet!

If theres a faq somewhere on this subject could you link me to it.

2ndCompanyVeterans
15-01-2006, 15:41
There is no FAQ on this flying characters however they manage it cannot join flying units.

And in your case the Daemon Prince could not hide becasue he is bigger than the furies and could be singled out. Also when a canon hits a skirmish unit is kills the models under the trajectory. L.O.Sir is for rank and file units only.

but the first reason is why it can't be done.

Atrahasis
15-01-2006, 16:08
Also when a canon hits a skirmish unit is kills the models under the trajectory. L.O.Sir is for rank and file units only

A character in a Skirmish unit benefits from LOS! exactly like a character in a ranked unit.

The main (game balance) reason that characters cannot join units of flyers is the same reason large/mounted characters can't join skirmishers - 360LOS for these models would be horrific.

the_night_reaper
15-01-2006, 16:51
There is no FAQ on this flying characters however they manage it cannot join flying units.

And in your case the Daemon Prince could not hide becasue he is bigger than the furies and could be singled out. Also when a canon hits a skirmish unit is kills the models under the trajectory. L.O.Sir is for rank and file units only.

but the first reason is why it can't be done.

I'm not completely sure about the singling out rule but I know that a daemon prince is not a large target so I'm pretty sure he can't be singled out. But as I said I'm not sure.

Festus
15-01-2006, 17:46
Hi

The DP can be singled out.

YOu don't need to have to target a Large Target to do so. It is sufficient if the target is larger than the surrounding troops: A cavalry model in an infantry unit can be singled out.
Those models will not benefit from LOS! either.

Greetings
Festus

Major Defense
17-01-2006, 11:18
Even if a demon prince is not a large target, he is on a monster-sized base so he could only "hide" in (which he can't) or within 5" of a unit of five or more models of the same size or larger.

infantry (20x20 or 25x25) <--- Furies
cavalry (25x50)
monster (40x40) <--- Demon Prince
special/large (50x50)

In short, if you want to hide him in a DL army you have to use something like a unit of Changebringers to screen him and he can't join them.

Festus
17-01-2006, 11:31
Hi

infantry (20x20 or 25x25) <--- Furies
cavalry (25x50)
monster (40x40) <--- Demon Prince
special/large (50x50)

Base size is a guideline at best, and then 40mm and 50mm bases are to be considered the same size, as are 20mm and 25mm respectively.
A *Large Target* will be a category of its own within this base size.

Greetings
Festus

Griefbringer
17-01-2006, 11:56
I assuming this rule came out before the hordes of chaos book did because a dp actually has it's own wings and is not flying on a mount.

Already the Ravening Hordes lists (released simultaneously with the 6th edition) featured flying greater daemons and (I think) daemon princes. Not sure if there were any flying daemon units, though.

And if the designers had wanted daemon princes to be able to join units of flyers, then they would have added a special rule "can join units of flyers" to the description.