PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Unit Champion Equipment

Alathir
17-09-2009, 08:33
If I give say a Keeper of the Flame (Phoenix Guard champion) and Enchanted Shield, will this mean he will automatically use his hand weapon in conjuction with it? And if so, this wont stop the rest of his unit from using their Halberds?

Thanks.

Falkman
17-09-2009, 08:53
The "must use" clause only applies to magical weapons, so a model armed with a magic shield can still use any two-handed weapon he's got.
However, magical shields can only be taken by models who have access to mundane shields, which a Keeper of the Flame does not.

T10
17-09-2009, 09:37
But will he be allowed to use his hand-weapon and the Enchanted Shield if the rest of his unit is fighting with halberds?

-T10

Condottiere
17-09-2009, 09:47
His original equipment list doesn't include a shield, so how could he upgrade to an ES?

nosferatu1001
17-09-2009, 10:12
The entire unit must use the same weapons load out, so the champion cannot use HW+SH while the rest use Halberds, for example.

In addition you cannot buy a shield for the champion in the first place, as they do not have access to mundane shields.

Atrahasis
17-09-2009, 10:16
I think it is probably best to interpret "the entire unit must use the same weapons" as "the entire unit must use the same weapons unless armed differently", otherwise Skink/Krox units, Maneaters, etc are all penalised for no good reason.

Condottiere
17-09-2009, 10:53
I thought that Maneaters have a clear exception mentioned in their text?

nosferatu1001
17-09-2009, 10:53
Maneaters have a specific allowance dont they?

Krox/skink uints probably coiuld have used something to make it clear - I guess the idea is all the same type use the same type of weapon, whereas the champion is not seperate from the unit and so is bound by it.

Falkman
17-09-2009, 10:59
Yes, Maneaters got clarified in the FAQ to be allowed to wield different weapons in combat.
I think the only time a unit champion is allowed to use a different weapon than his unit is when he is carrying a magic weapon, since the rules force him to use that weapon.

Griefbringer
17-09-2009, 19:06
I think it is probably best to interpret "the entire unit must use the same weapons" as "the entire unit must use the same weapons unless armed differently", otherwise Skink/Krox units, Maneaters, etc are all penalised for no good reason.

Don't forget the beast herd with gors wielding twin hand weapons and ungors trying to poke the enemy with the spears.

If you wanted to really go RAWhammer, you could try to claim that the entire unit has to use a single hand weapon.

Harwammer
17-09-2009, 22:20
Don't forget the beast herd with gors wielding twin hand weapons and ungors trying to poke the enemy with the spears.

If you wanted to really go RAWhammer, you could try to claim that the entire unit has to use a single hand weapon.

the rules for raiders specifically say the ungors will use their spears. This means they can't hw+shield (if they are in front rank and you wanted 5+ save for example).

Milgram
18-09-2009, 09:17

and if you get your phoenix champion the sword of striking, the whole unit has to use a sword of striking?

Griefbringer
18-09-2009, 14:02
Don't forget the issue of character joining a unit and becoming a part of it.

Falkman
18-09-2009, 14:05
Characters are explicitly allowed to use different armament than any units they join.

Condottiere
18-09-2009, 14:07
Champions have pseudo-character qualities - if you do upgrade a Champion with a magic weapon, he would be forced to use it, regardless of what the rest of his unit happen to be packing.