PDA

View Full Version : WE Dragon?

cyberspite
17-09-2009, 17:48
Would anyone consider it cheesy to take a WE dragon? I think it would leave me a bit thin on the ground at 2000pts but dreadlord/dragon is a regular combo for DE's at this level and HE's can take em at 1000.

I know it does seem a bit un-fluffy for WE's, (I would have preferred the option for a griffon instead but hey) but something to help counter other high toughness flying beasties would definitely help protect the rest of my army

Draconian77
17-09-2009, 17:55
Dragons are powerful no matter what race you are, the difference between all the different options being miniscule. (Yes, a Black Dragon is better, but they are both essentially unstoppable without artillery.)

In saying that, it pretty much depends on what your meta-game is like. If you fight a lot of Dragons or large monsters, I doubt your opponents would begrudge you one of your own. Dragons are also common sights at most un-comped tournaments.

If you don't have a local gaming group, then it could be an idea to bring two lists with you to whatever store or event you visit. One with a Dragon and one without, then just ask your opponent/the TO if it's a Dragon friendly enviroment. :D

Taedae
17-09-2009, 18:07
i dont see the need to worry.

you see lizardmen table 2 stegs and DEs table dragons. you also see Chaos dwarfs on taurus and choas with greater daemons. i dont see anything wrong with a dragon.

GirathonB
17-09-2009, 18:08
No one I know would, but then again, I don't believe in cheese, and almost everyone in my group is pretty much of the belief that if it's a legal army from the book and you aren't a dick to play against, then its fair game.

Malorian
17-09-2009, 18:48
I use one all the time :)

I mean come on... it's an army with pretty no magic or armor... we have to have something that's good in combat right? Or would people rather we use two treemen ;)

Draconian77
17-09-2009, 18:53
I know I would...the difference between a flying large target and a grounded large target is worlds apart. :D

PeG
17-09-2009, 19:02
I sometimes use it and it makes a nice difference from my normal list and adds a lot of flying hitting power. Many of my opponents probably prefers fighting the dragon compared to my WE list that consist only of core + 2 scroll caddies + alter hero. At least I give them a large target to aim their guns at.

Finally the WE dragon is probably the worst dragon in fantasy so if anyone else has dragons they cant complain about yours.

Give the lord on top the magic item that gives a 3+ ward that also includes the mount and keep him away from large amounts of low strength shooting such as goblin archers and you will do fine.

Witchblade
17-09-2009, 20:16
Forest dragons are all right. Highborns suck badly.

End result: mediocre.

cyberspite
18-09-2009, 17:26
Ok thanks for the advice guys, I think I will try one out, gives me an excuse to do a nice conversion too