PDA

View Full Version : Manbane + Repeater handbow?

Sly Rax
17-09-2009, 19:13
Does Manbane work on a DE assassins handbow?
My mate says it dosnt because manbane works on "their" strength but by that thinking Black Lotas does work on a handbow.
It seems weid to me that one toxin works and one doesnt, in the end they are all just different poison rules and poison works on the handbow.

His argument his all based on the word "their". is he right?

Atrahasis
17-09-2009, 19:14
Yes, at least his opinion coincides with that of the DE FAQ author.

Sly Rax
17-09-2009, 19:50
Yes, at least his opinion coincides with that of the DE FAQ author.

Have you got a link for that because i have read the DE FAQ and i cant see it?

TheDarkDaff
17-09-2009, 21:59
He is refering to the ruling that allows S7 rending stars. The whole reason it can happen is because Manbane affects the users strength rather than just modifying the strength of the hit (which is what it should do).

sulla
17-09-2009, 22:22
Does Manbane work on a DE assassins handbow?
My mate says it dosnt because manbane works on "their" strength but by that thinking Black Lotas does work on a handbow.
It seems weid to me that one toxin works and one doesnt, in the end they are all just different poison rules and poison works on the handbow.

His argument his all based on the word "their". is he right?:D Usually pointing out to an opponent that if he doesn't allow you to use manbane with your handbow means you have to take the hated 'chariot popping' ninja stars, is enough to convince opponents. If not, a pair of those chariot poppers in a game should do the trick...

highelfmage
18-09-2009, 00:15
sometimes it is a good to be a t4 high elf chariot.

but it really suck.

sulla
18-09-2009, 05:39
sometimes it is a good to be a t4 high elf chariot.

Yeah, only 2+ to wound them, not autosmash!!!:rolleyes: nothing for you to worry about then.:p

Draconian77
18-09-2009, 05:51
A Bolt Thrower would have wounded it on 2+ anyway...and caused D3 wounds...for less points.

I still think that the Manbane+Stars Assassin is overrated...(T5 Chariots aren't common enough, with the exception of Orc Chariots and Beastman Chariots, neither races which are extremely common at competitive events...but that's just my 2 cents.)

Sherlocko
18-09-2009, 07:26
(T5 Chariots aren't common enough, with the exception of Orc Chariots and Beastman Chariots, neither races which are extremely common at competitive events...but that's just my 2 cents.)

Normal Tuskgor Chariots are only T4, it is only Gorthors Chariot wich have T5. :)

Draconian77
18-09-2009, 07:34
Oh wow...even worse than I thought then for the poor old Manbane/Star Assassin!

Hurry up and make a new BoC army book GW, I'm starting to forget things... :D

Atrahasis
18-09-2009, 08:10
The "autopopping" of chariots is talked up a lot, but that isn't the real strength of the Star Assassin. The real strength is that he hits on 2+ and wounds on 2+ against everything.

2 or 3 of them can whittle most units down to nothing in a couple of turns. They're useful against everything, which is bad game design.

Draconian77
18-09-2009, 08:46
I don't really like to get into these sort of debate but he is certainly not useful against everything.

He isn't great(just as an example) against Knights with T3 or a 1+ save, units with Ward saves or Regeneration, units that are cheap(10pts or less, etc) He is also not very good at killing characters, as they can rarely be shot at.

He is good against high T models such as Ogres, Dragons and Chariots.
I would guess that he is handy against T4 2+ (or worse) save Knights.

All of this still doesn't make him cheaper than the Bolt Thrower, which is cheaper and has more range.

Anyway, I don't really care...just talking for the sake of talking to be honest.

EvC
18-09-2009, 12:47
You're right Draconian, he's only really any good at killing the best stuff in the enemy's army. Okay yeah he sucks vs Empire Knights, but I think he more than makes up for it by virtue of the fact that he will usually kill a War Altar in one turn's shooting ;)

Obvious differences between him and a Bolt Thrower: he moves and shoots (and scouts so hiding is hard), and can handle himself in combat.

Anyway, the answer to the question is that by common sense, Manbane should work on a handbow. By the stupid FAQ decision that had Dark Elf players cheering, it will not work on a handbow, but allows you to get up to S7 with Rending Stars.

I had a game against Dark Elves yesterday where I was convinced it would work with the Assassin's basic repeater crossbow. But it wouldn't, as the Crossbow is always S3 anyway... oh well.

Skyth
20-09-2009, 21:14
It won't help against a steam tank though :)