PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch Terminators?

Wolfblade670
17-09-2009, 23:03
Quite simply, does the Deathwatch have access to Terminator armour?

wolf40k
17-09-2009, 23:20
Currently the only rules released have only Power armor so we will probably have to wait for Xenoshunters to come out...

...so we will probably never know.:(

ntin
17-09-2009, 23:29
In most circumstances I would say no. The Deathwatch even by Space Marine standards is highly mobile as seen with the stabilizers added to their Heavy Bolters. An exception may be investing a Space Hulk where Power Armor would be insufficient for the task. It is not unthinkable that the Inquisition could get a few sets of Terminator armor.

wolvychops
17-09-2009, 23:43
The Deathwatch books ('Warrior Brood' and 'Warrior Coven') are great sorces of fluff.

seems that a Deathwatch team is basically a self sufficient Space Marine chapter made up of 10 or so Marines. the squads had a Captain leading, Sargent, Librarian, Tech Marine, Heavy Bolter(devastator), Assault Marine, then a few Tactical Marines.

As to the question of terminators, the first book (Warrior Brood), had a terminator from the White Consoles chapter in the squad, but he was the only one, not a whole squade of them.

Now this has nothing to do with the game rules, and as said above, we will probably have to wait for codex xinohunters to shine more light on this. But hopefully the rules fallow this background. I really like the idea of a sort of mini chapter, fully equipped for any situation.

Argastes
17-09-2009, 23:43
It is not unthinkable that the Inquisition could get a few sets of Terminator armor.

I'd say it's definitely true that they can, since terminator armor has been a wargear option for inquisitors since the RT days ;). They probably have plenty (although the number of suits is still probably small in relation to the overall size of the Inquisition).

Also, bear in mind that Deathwatch members bring their own power armor with them when they come from their Chapter, rather than being issued a suit by the Inquisition (remember, they paint the suit black and leave one pauldron displaying their chapter colors/symbol). So perhaps some 1st company veterans from various chapters, when they come to work with the Deathwatch, would bring terminator armor with them.

Drop-Trooper
17-09-2009, 23:46
I bought a box of terminators the other day to start my Deathwing army, and there is a Deathwatch shoulder pad in there. Now this is probably just because the chap wearing it did a tour with the 'watch, but I lilke to think it's more evidence that DW tewrmies do excist, maybe in small numbers, but they are there.

wolf40k
17-09-2009, 23:49
I really like the idea of a sort of mini chapter, fully equipped for any situation.

Mini Chapter eh?

Bring back the Movie Marines!!!:D

starlight
17-09-2009, 23:55
It's entirely likely simply because members might do repeat tours with the Deathwatch over the many years they serve...including after they are promoted to the First Company (or Chapter equivalent).

trigger
17-09-2009, 23:59
i have a set of rules for deathwatch terminators , bike squads and scouts ....makes a nice army. I used a GW campain weekend 2 years ago.
for 2000 pts i got.
1 squad of 5 terminators (led by a librarian)
3 squads of normal deathwatch (1 librarian 2x capitan)
5 bikes
1 inquisitor and 3 retinue ( ellites option from sisters codex)
2 x 10 storm troopers in moles

Son of Sanguinius
18-09-2009, 03:05
It makes sense that the Deathwatch would have access to and on occasion use Terminator Armor. While the mobility advantages granted by power armor are probably more tactically advantageous far more often, Terminator Armor would certainly prove effective in other scenarios. The first thing that comes to mind is teleportation, but I think as of the current background you can make power armor teleport-capable as well.

Argastes
18-09-2009, 03:22
It's also well-established that terminator armor is the best thing to wear when fighting aboard space hulks, and I'd guess that the Ordo Xenos and the Deathwatch do a fair bit of boarding and investigating space hulks.

grissom2006
18-09-2009, 08:11
Isn't unthinkable for them to be able to field Terminators but a number of things need to be taken into account. One no Chapter is going to willingly risk the lose of it's TDA in something that it has no control over so a Inquisitor would need to supply it, remember it's hard to come. Two your everyday rank and file Space Marine doesn't know how to operate TDA it's a very different operating system, be like going from DOS to Vista in one leap. Extra training in how to it is required, tactically you trade off mobility as well for heavy defensive ability ie against Stealers a must have item. But sometimes they will need the mobility more than the armour.

Argastes
18-09-2009, 14:11
Isn't unthinkable for them to be able to field Terminators but a number of things need to be taken into account. One no Chapter is going to willingly risk the lose of it's TDA in something that it has no control over so a Inquisitor would need to supply it, remember it's hard to come. Two your everyday rank and file Space Marine doesn't know how to operate TDA it's a very different operating system, be like going from DOS to Vista in one leap. Extra training in how to it is required, tactically you trade off mobility as well for heavy defensive ability ie against Stealers a must have item. But sometimes they will need the mobility more than the armour.

Right, one would assume that any Deathwatch marine who uses terminator armor was a 1st company veteran in his chapter before being sent to serve in the Deathwatch, thus would already know how to use terminator armor.

DeSnifter
18-09-2009, 14:34
It could be possible, however they may be limited in their applications. I highly doubt that any chapter would willingly give up their TDA on loan. If they have termies, and that is a big if, most likely they would be given out by the inquisition. Though curiously, with every time a new marine taking the TDA and repainting the pauldron how cranky would that machine spirit end up getting? I personally would love some deathwatch terminators as there could be certain circumstances where the would really need TDA. Then again, they are supposedly the best at what they do, so perhaps a unit of bad ass deathwatch could accomplish what normally would require a unit in TDA from a standard chapter. For example, the deathwatch squad in the Heroes of the Space Marines short story were fully capaple of handling their mission aboard an ork held ship. Somehow I dont think a space hulk is anymore dangerous than the flagship of a warboss. If they could handle it, perhaps they dont need TDA.

Argastes
18-09-2009, 14:46
I think that, valuable as TDA suits are, Deathwatch marines who use them would have brought them from their own chapter rather than being issued them by the Inquisition. We know that the agreements by which chapters 'loan' their marines to the Ordo Xenos are voluntarily entered into and individually negotiated between inquisitors and chapter masters, so I can imagine some chapter masters negotiating provisions under which they'd be willing to send a marine in TDA. Something like 'when called upon we will provide four battle brothers with normal gear OR one battle brother in terminator armor' might be attractive to a chapter master who wants to minimize the amount of manpower he loses to his Deathwatch obligation. Perhaps with a condition that the Inquisition will pay reparations (or provide a replacement suit from their own inventory) if the chapter's TDA suit is damaged/destroyed. Or maybe they would just demand more reciprocal favors from the Ordo in exchange for sending terminator-armored veterans than they would for sending normal marines.

Yes, TDA is valuable, but to a lesser extent, so are power armor suits, and so are experienced battle brothers, yet chapters will risk both of the later--in situations outside their control--by sending even normal marines to fight for the Deathwatch. Surely not all chapter masters would be willing to send terminators, but I think at least some would if they could do so under an agreement that allowed them to feel like that they weren't risking an unduly large chunk of chapter assets (i.e., sending less marines in exchange for sending them with terminator armor).

LexxBomb
18-09-2009, 14:54
well if a member of the Deathwing was subcondered into the Deathwatch he would take his suit with him... same goes for a Ravenwing guy... just imagine it a Deathwatch Landspeeder or bike.

pookie
18-09-2009, 14:55
how about searching for prev deathwatch threads? such as this one: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209711&highlight=deathwatch

Deathwatch comes up very other month on here, most of what people need to know has been already discussed to death..

trolly
18-09-2009, 22:41
hi,

seems that a Deathwatch team is basically a self sufficient Space Marine chapter made up of 10 or so Marines. the squads had a Captain leading, Sargent, Librarian, Tech Marine, Heavy Bolter(devastator), Assault Marine, then a few Tactical Marines.

how many inquisitor is for accompaning deathwatch team?
multiple by ten for that equal more than ten marines.
remember that the threat of alien is constantly happen.
so ordo xenos need a lot of them.
IA article said that there are fortresses in the edge of galaxy to stop the alien threat.
so, IMHO, there is marines that stay on guard as the tour time is never fixed.
about terminator armour it is possible that deathwatch have the team.
but maybe the armour is provided by the inquisition.

cheers,
:D