PDA

View Full Version : Downfall: Der Untergang

Nid
11-05-2005, 03:09
Yes, I know this movie is pretty controversial. I have the opportunity to see it in a few hours, and I was wondering if it was worth the time going down to see it. I know a general premise to the film, what do people who have seen it think?

Brother_McBeaner
11-05-2005, 06:59
I really liked that movie. It shows the nazis as human, maybe not good humans but still humans with human emotions. Gives you a nice contrast between how they act to their friends and family when you know of the horid things that they have done. It will also give you a sense of mourning for the German people, the hitler youth, and the common soldiers who have to live through this.

I would highly recomend this movie.

Nid
11-05-2005, 07:41
I watched it, and I really need to come to terms with what I saw. Its so much worse knowing what you see really happened. Its.....horrible.

Delicious Soy
11-05-2005, 08:20
I'm really annoyed that the film didn't get a major release in Australia, none of my local cinemas are running it.

Ass Goblin
11-05-2005, 10:08
I personally wanted to see it but as Soy said none of the cinemas have it at all.

salty
11-05-2005, 10:58
Same here :(
It wasn't even showing at the Meadowhall Centre in Sheffield if IRRC.
Could some one who HAS seen it clairfy for me; did Hitler shoot or poison Eva Braun?

Salty :)

Sylass
11-05-2005, 11:06
[...]
Could some one who HAS seen it clairfy for me; did Hitler shoot or poison Eva Braun?
I didn't see the movie, but as far as I know Hitler shot himself and Eva took a poison called "Zyankali" (potassium cyanide).

Not sure about the movie. As said, I did not see it yet, but from what I heard, it's overrated.

Guess I'll try to borrow the DVD from a friend and take a look at it myself...

salty
11-05-2005, 11:09
Thats what i thought, but Yesterday I read that he shot her (wtf!)

Anyway, I didn't even know it was out on DVD?

Salty :)

Sylass
11-05-2005, 11:21
Apparently Goebbels shot first his wife and then himself (after his wife poinsoned their 6 kids), maybe someone got confused with that.

The DVD is definately out, at least here in Germany. A co-worker of mine has it. Saw the DVD case a couple of weeks ago in his office.

-> Amazon link to the german "Der Untergang (Premium Edition, 2 DVDs)" site (http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002Z16HY/qid=1115806733/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_0/302-3926104-9776043)

Arnizipal
11-05-2005, 12:05
I didn't see the movie, but as far as I know Hitler shot himself and Eva took a poison called "Zyankali" (potassium cyanide).

Not sure about the movie. As said, I did not see it yet, but from what I heard, it's overrated.

Guess I'll try to borrow the DVD from a friend and take a look at it myself...
Hitler first took poison, then shot himself. Originally he wanted to commit suicide by just shooting himself, but his parkinson got so bad he was worried he might miss a vital spot and slowly bleed to death, so he took poison just to be sure.

I've seen the movie and I don't think it's overrated. It's one of the best movies I've seen in years.

Melchor
11-05-2005, 12:19
I have seen it along with my dad and one of my brothers and I think we didn't talk for 15 minutes after it ended.

I think this is a movie that everyone should see.

Archaon
11-05-2005, 12:20
I saw it too here in Germany and it is quite impressive because the producers and cast had the guts to show historical monsters as human beings apart from their abominable legacy.

Hitler sometimes comes off as a quite caring man, decent even to people he liked (quite a contrast to the monster he was).

The power of the film is in the way it is portrayed..all those people who for a time ruled Europe and are now nearing their end. Some have realized what they've done and some may even regret it..others (such as Goebbels and his wife) are so far down the road that there's no chance of recovery.

A must see for people who are interested in history and the real people behind.

x-esiv-4c
11-05-2005, 16:07
I thought it was an excellent movie. I didn't know what I was going to expect but I was really suprised. Hitler's decent into dementia was flawlessly acted ( did he have parkinsons disease?) The actor playing Goebbles (sp) did a really good job. The acting overall was very strong. I was really interesting to see how the movie depicted the Nazis as humans, humans doing their job. Not all of them believed in the Aryan ideal, just a few crucial nutters.
Damn good movie.

tzeentchgiant
11-05-2005, 17:54
May I ask has anyone in the UK seen this film as I am intreeged, is it an in-depth look at the Nazis and how they tormented Jews, but continued on with there lives regardless, is it supposed to show how things were back then under the nazi regime, or is it a story of one soldier, real person or fictional, and an account of what they did during WWII?

Please explain the motive behind the film aswell, I want to know why it was made.

TG

Arnizipal
16-05-2005, 19:47
It's the true story of the last days of Hitler and the people close to him, before the fall of Berlin in 1945, as seen through the eyes of one of Hitler's secretaries.

Here's (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/) the IMDB link.

Spider
16-05-2005, 20:22
I saw this film a few days ago...its one of those movies that (i believe) will stay with you for a long time.

Utterley brilliant.

I heard that there was some controversey, in that Adolf is portrayed as an actual human being, rather than the somewhat one dimensional supermonster that he seems to be thought of.

For me, evil is more terrifying when seemingly normal people do despicable things.

I think the most frightening (not that the film is "scary" as such) is when the two Hitler youth kids kill each other/commit suicide. Horrible to know that Hitler and the Nazi ideals had such a massive hold on peoples lives...so much so that death was preferable to life without Hitler.

My only criticsm/doubt about the film is that i have a suspicion that cyanide, while undoubtably very quick and deadly, is not quite that quick.