PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Crossbowmen, Shields or No Shields?

Lunar
18-09-2009, 10:39
Hey, simple question for any Dark Elf players, do you suggest i give my Crossbowmen shields? I'm not a tournament player, so i don't care if i should for that, but just wondering if it's one of those things you "should" do.

Witchblade
18-09-2009, 10:48
It's often worth it in combination with LA.

If they're 2 ranks deep, fairly sized and on a hill, they can then actually hold a charge sometimes.

Falkman
18-09-2009, 10:49
Whenever I use Crossbowmen I always give them shields.
It's just 1 point more per model but it gives them a respectable 4+ save in combat, meaning you can't as easily kill them off with skirmishers and light infantry/cavalry.

Oberon
18-09-2009, 10:50
4+ save vs 6+ save, the difference is big enough to take the shields. 5+ save also works against shooting sometimes. Think of it this way: if you save once, the shields have already paid themselves back.

Lijacote
18-09-2009, 11:50
Pavise shields are really cool, too.

Commodus Leitdorf
18-09-2009, 12:04
Its not something you default SHOULD do. But the tactical flexibility/extra protection they offer makes them worth it in my opinion.

MrFortunato
18-09-2009, 12:38
im gonna break the trend here by saying that i never give mine shields...
to be totally frank, crossbowmen are crossbowmen, not fighting infantry, their job is to shoot, which they dont need a shield for... if you think about it, when missile troops get into close quater fighting, they're pretty much screwed :D

the way i use mine is to screen my really nasty guys...like black guard, maybe with Darth Elf (my assassin with a darth maul face:evilgrin:)

danny-d-b
18-09-2009, 13:20
erm are you forgetting the goldern rule of dwarfs

every dwarf that can have a shield MUST have a shield
everything, caracters, shooty support, big blocks

Lunar
18-09-2009, 14:52
erm are you forgetting the goldern rule of dwarfs

every dwarf that can have a shield MUST have a shield
everything, caracters, shooty support, big blocks

It's a Dark Elf :p.

Thanks to everyone for replying, one thing i didn't mention is that i've already put them together without shields. Deliberate so i didn't get "Well it's too late". Maybe i'll just buy another set and give them shields. Thanks everyone and damn you misleading back-of-box pictures!

Commodus Leitdorf
18-09-2009, 15:51
It's a Dark Elf :p.

Thanks to everyone for replying, one thing i didn't mention is that i've already put them together without shields. Deliberate so i didn't get "Well it's too late". Maybe i'll just buy another set and give them shields. Thanks everyone and damn you misleading back-of-box pictures!

Just stick them on their backs. I've seen several DE players do it!

SevenSins
18-09-2009, 15:56
Just stick them on their backs. I've seen several DE players do it!

ain't worse than that

Personally I've never run them with shields.
Then again my main opponent plays chaos so when they get a unit of knights in the face they'll die shields or no

Draconian77
18-09-2009, 16:20
I always give mine Shields, after the battlines get engaged the Crossbowmen often get the chance to charge things and the extra save is handy.

It can also be the difference between taking a Panic test and not taking a Panic test, which is much more important then whether or not a single extra model lives or expires! :D

selone
18-09-2009, 21:38
For one point its very definitly worth it, alas. It makes them very decent in hand to hand as well as very good at shooting.

Kalandros
19-09-2009, 03:44
The models look better hidden behind a large shield.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Unfdall/Druchii/RxBUnit1v2.jpg

This is my unit. Shields, always.

sulla
19-09-2009, 20:33
Hey, simple question for any Dark Elf players, do you suggest i give my Crossbowmen shields? I'm not a tournament player, so i don't care if i should for that, but just wondering if it's one of those things you "should" do.A 5+ save is generally worthless vs shooting or magic these days, but a 4+ save is still pretty decent in combat, so the question really is; do you hope/expect to see combat with them (i.e. use them in a combined combat as a flank charger etc). If you do expect to get into combat, then buy the shields. If not, don't bother. Mine are split half and half. The ones with their shields have the bottom clipped off and the shields grounded into the bases in front of the crossbowmen. They look much better than the ones without.

dwarfhold13
19-09-2009, 22:07
if i unit of knights hits your flank and kills two or three, then you may run anyway.. and if you don't they will the next turn and wont be able to shoot anyway.. i never give mine shields, its just more wise to spend the points elsewhere.

sroblin
20-09-2009, 01:07
I'd have to cast my vote in favor of the shields, it's a great increase in survivability for a cheap price. Sure, it won't help much against knights (well, it will help against horse attacks, it must be remembered); but really the idea is to protect against light cavalry and skirmishers, who will find 1/2 to 1/3 of their attacks beign nullified, enough to possibly lose them the charge. Against ranged attacks, it does provide decent protection against bows thought not much else.

PARTYCHICORITA
20-09-2009, 04:17
I always pay the shield; between the 4+ save, the decent WS and the hatred xbowmen can be rather decent flankers and for just 1pt per model is nice to have the option there.

willowdark
21-09-2009, 15:45
I generally play my Crossbows very defensively. I usually never move them, if at all, so I can avoid the extra to-hit penalty. Usually once in the first turn to get them in range and to emphasize my stagger deployment.

After that, they sit still and shoot for as long as they can. Once the enemy gets close I always reform them into 2 ranks of 5. That way I can reposition them to redirect or to threaten a flank in combination with my infantry.

It has already been said, but this is what sells me on shields. Throw them into the flank of any standard infantry, and yes, this includes Chaos Warriors, often and very effectively, and with Hatred and a 4+ AS they will break ranks without becoming a huge liability like standard missile troops normally would.

that being said, if I'm short on points the shields will be the first things to go. 20 pts can be just what you need sometimes. And shields aren't crucial, they just go into my list with them first and will only loose them if the points call for it.

arachnid
21-09-2009, 16:09
The benefits to shields are pretty obvious.

shields make rxb's useful beyond "stand, shoot, die", which is great as i dislike one-dimensional list-building.

the negative? 1 point each.. There's always points to scrape off elsewhere.

Not to mention that they look way better with shields than without.