PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Chess!!!

Eternus
18-09-2009, 11:08
Ok, just had a brainwave, or could just be a short - you'll have to decide.

I quite like the odd game of chess. If I were to play chess, but use, say, Vampire Counts models instead of one set of peices, and maybe Dwarfs instead of the other (though obvously any 2 armies could be used), would this be really cool or pap? :cool:

If this would be cool - what models would be best to use? I can just see a line of 8 Zombie Pawns!

Lijacote
18-09-2009, 11:15
Not a very new idea. High Elves versus Dark Elves is an obvious one for a pairing, as is Empire / Chaos, the former especially since there's so many notable larger-than-life figures for queens and kings. Malekith / Morathi versus Tyrion / Teclis? Maybe the Everqueen and the Phoenix King, rather.

Marauders/swordmen as pawns, sorcerers and warrior priests as bishops... and so on. All too easy.

Having brainwaves is very much vital, by the way. I think.

Ultimate Life Form
18-09-2009, 11:18
Well, you're not the first to have this idea, we had as well, though we never came to execute it, and besides, I like Warhammer better than Chess.

Still, I think it's a fun idea. Considering how much you pay for special 'collector's edition' Chess with Asterix fugures or something, using Warhammer models is a reasonable alternative, plus you have a real unique set of pieces made and painted by yourself, so you might as well use Karl Franz & Co.

I'd really love to see pictures of such a game of Chess. Maybe some Chess lovers out there could start a series of battle reports of Chess games with Warhammer models, including nice pics?:p I wonder if the mods would allow it, we could say it's a stylized Warhammer campaign...

The models you use depend on the respective army. Of course Zombies are the perfect pawns, as well as Skinks or Peasants or Goblins. The King is the Vampire General, after all without him the army crumbles.:p
The Queen is a Banshee, or maybe the new female Vampire model, and Black or Blood Knights (if they fit on the board) as horses. I'm only at a loss as what to use as rooks for most armies, maybe War Machines?

Eternus
18-09-2009, 11:30
Well, you're not the first to have this idea, we had as well, though we never came to execute it, and besides, I like Warhammer better than Chess.

Still, I think it's a fun idea. Considering how much you pay for special 'collector's edition' Chess with Asterix fugures or something, using Warhammer models is a reasonable alternative, plus you have a real unique set of pieces made and painted by yourself, so you might as well use Karl Franz & Co.

I'd really love to see pictures of such a game of Chess. Maybe some Chess lovers out there could start a series of battle reports of Chess games with Warhammer models, including nice pics?:p I wonder if the mods would allow it, we could say it's a stylized Warhammer campaign...

The models you use depend on the respective army. Of course Zombies are the perfect pawns, as well as Skinks or Peasants or Goblins. The King is the Vampire General, after all without him the army crumbles.:p
The Queen is a Banshee, or maybe the new female Vampire model, and Black or Blood Knights (if they fit on the board) as horses. I'm only at a loss as what to use as rooks for most armies, maybe War Machines?

I thought maybe Mummies - not VC I know, but as you say, tricky to find a suitable piece - unless I make a huge tomb stone to go on a base?

Ultimate Life Form
18-09-2009, 11:36
Whose bright idea was it anyway to have a watchtower move across the battlefield, squashing stuff?:eyebrows:

The medieval idea of a tank or what?

narrativium
18-09-2009, 11:42
Probably the same nutter who thought a horse, burdened by the weight of a rider, could jump over a watchtower. Or two watchtowers. Or over their own sovereign.

Lijacote
18-09-2009, 11:44
Pretty sure the tower/rook was originally something else, I swear I read about it somewhere. Chariot?

Ah.

The rook was already known in "Chaturanga", but there, this figure was a carriage and was called "rukh". The war carriages have been a part of the old Indian army until the 5th century. At the time the game came to Arabia the name did not change but the portrayal was simplified. In Europe the English name "rook" remind us to the descent.

But how has the figure changed from a war carriage to a rook?

By the year 1527 Vida, bishop of Albay, published a poem about a chess game between "Apollo" and "Mercury". The rooks were fortifications on the back of an elephant. The European chess players took over the description. Finally they left out the elephant for the normal use.

Do not visit that site, by the way. It plays annoying music.

Rogue
18-09-2009, 15:23
I always thought that this concept was a good idea. Take a look at the following link.

http://www.hirstarts.com/chess/chess.html

Stonewyrm
19-09-2009, 18:30
I could be mistaken but Chess originated in India and the original Rooks were Elephants. Pretty close as you are going to get to a tank at the time. :)

Stronginthearm
19-09-2009, 18:38
If anybody ever played battle chess on the computer, the tower in there turns into a golem and beats people to death, makes me giggle every time, for rooks for fantasy i think of them as heavy infantry/tank style, IE for vamps, black coach or for dwarves hammerers, and no jokes about only being able to move half the distance across the board as dwarves please

dwarfhold13
20-09-2009, 08:17
i don't know about you guys, but i've been wondering to myself what i'm going to do with a bunch of left over battle for skull pass models :) classic!
i'll have to buy another helga for the queen.. use warriors for pawns, miners for knights, maybe rangers for bishops and ironbreakers for rooks?

dsw1
20-09-2009, 09:49
versus Tyrion / Teclis?

Sorry, just HAD to ask, which is the queen? :p.

Tokamak
20-09-2009, 09:50
A nice hobby project but it would totally suck to play with.

Condottiere
20-09-2009, 10:20
Sorry, just HAD to ask, which is the queen? :p.

Alarielle, of course. Mating her being the goal of the game.

Nesbet
20-09-2009, 15:52
Please take a look ;)

http://www.reinodelosolvidados.cl/main/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1668

DarkAngelsG
20-09-2009, 18:25
So how about 8 Skink pawns, Saurus Bishops, Cold One Knights, Temple Guard Rooks, and then a Slann for the king and... a female Slann for the queen(hard sometimes not having any females in Lizardmen)!?

MF3000
20-09-2009, 22:08
@ DarkAngelsG;

How about...

Pawns - Skink spearmen
Rooks - Temple Guards or Kroxigors
Knights - Cold One or even Terradons
Bishop - Skink Priests
Queen - Skink High Priest
King - Slann or Saurus hero...

@ Nesbet - that's very interesting. I saw a Demons of Chaos army that was made to fit an actual chess board.

I was planning to make a Korean chess pieces based on Perry Miniatures, but haven't really gone around to doing it.

And as someone already mentioned chess comes from India so the moves were based on elephants, cannons, etc...

sj

rtunian
21-09-2009, 16:04
how about greenskin chess?

orc boy pawns
boar boy knights
troll rooks
boar chariot bishops
black orc queen
orc shaman king

ng pawns
squig knights
troll rooks
squig hopper bishops
great cave squig big boss queen
ng shaman king

Count Zero
21-09-2009, 16:27
for DE:

Spearmen - pawns
Cold One Knight - knight
Black Guard - Rooks
Executioner - Bishops
Hag Queen (or poss sorceress) - Queen
Dreadlord - King.

Condottiere
21-09-2009, 22:59
For DoW:

King - Lorenzo Lupo
Queen - Lucrezzia Belladonna
Bishops - Midas the Mean, Leonardo da Miragliano
Knights - Voland, Al Muktar
Rooks - Golgfag, Arsanil
Pawns - Vespero, Ricco, Beorg, Long Drong, Pirazzo, Leopold, Braganza, Lumpin Croop

someone2040
22-09-2009, 05:38
Eh, I think Borgio makes a more suitable king than Lorenzo. Either way I think neither fits into the King piece (The whole, can only move 1 square thing doesn't really suit fighty characters). I think the vanilla Dogs of War I suggest has a better King, but the Queen is iffy.
Besides, there's too many things representing the same thing. So it's more like you're playing a game with 16 pieces rather than just 6.

I think Dogs of War would be better as
If you want special characters then...
King : Borgio the Beseiger
Queen : Lucrezzia Belladonna (Or for Purists, her sister who was married to Borgio and 'apparently' killed him).
Else
King : Paymaster (He's the most important guy right, if he dies you take a panic test!).
Queen : probably Wizard Lord, or Mercenary General.

Bishops : Duellists
Knights : Mercenary Cavalry
Rooks: Mercenary Ogres / Maneaters
Pawns: Pikemen

Morgrish the Malignant
22-09-2009, 11:42
Fun idea! A nice thing to consider, looking at all those left over mini's.

to add a list (VC / undead):

zombies for pawns
necromancers for bishops
blood knights for knights
corpse carts for rooks (or black coach)
winged vampire lord for king
female vampire for queen

or

skellies for pawns
wraiths for bishops
black knights for knights
chariots for rooks (or black coach)
NAGASH for king
neferata for queen (?)

Whaagnomore
22-09-2009, 13:36
Ogre kingdoms! No pawns, no bishops, no knights, no king or queen, just loads and loads of ROOKS:eek:

Tarian
22-09-2009, 14:01
How about when you "capture" a piece, you fight a warband battle with the points being determined by who "charged" (i.e. did the capturing) and the relative value of the piece? (And models lost to a "piece" don't get replaced so the "piece" gets weaker over many battles? Just a thought)