PDA

View Full Version : Empire: Fluff vs Usage

AdrianWalls
15-01-2006, 18:09
Being fairly new to the Fantasy genre of Warhammer I have been toying with a pair of Empire armies. One would be your typical put them on te table, ass kicking, built for winning army. The other would be a "fluff" army, the bais storyline being one of two things:
a) Army led by a priest using the Sigmarite army base idea
b) An army led by a group of former adventurers: Priest, Wizard or two, some sort of Elector Count or Grandmaster model who was the 'fighter', maybe even a dwarf model?

Anyhow, what models would work for an army like this? I posted a very similar thread oin another forum on here. Any help is great.

Sayu
15-01-2006, 19:18
1) The Sigmarite Army is a great idea and looks very good:

Models:
Exalted Valten - nice looking warhammer
Warrior Priests
Flagellants
Free Company can be used to make any Empire unit with a little creativity and have the suitable look of peasant rabble.
Some crusader looking Knights

You should also consult WD 302 for ideas about Sigmarite armies too if you have access to it.

2) Adventures:
Most of the Empire 'fighter' hero models aren't that great looking - you can either convert your own (from Brets maybe) or wait for new models.

The Wizard models look great for Wizards - if you want variety you could also use a Bretonnian Damsel as an Empire Wizard.

Warrior-Priests of Sigmar work fine for Clerics.

A Dwarf model to represent a Commander is fine too - just tell your opponent. Another option is to use the Dwarf as your fighter and have another character slot open - maybe for an Engineer/Artificer.

AdrianWalls
15-01-2006, 20:03
Yeah, as far as an adventurer led army, I would definitely convert models. Fluff aside, the 'adventurers' themselves would be the hero's or rares in the army.

Sayu
15-01-2006, 21:10
I'd consider a Dogs of War army for the adventurer themed army now that I think about.

In Dogs of War each regiment is a unique unit led by a famous hero of some sort. It would fit the theme great - each adventurer and their personal retinue.

Keller
15-01-2006, 21:15
a) Army led by a priest using the Sigmarite army base idea
b) An army led by a group of former adventurers: Priest, Wizard or two, some sort of Elector Count or Grandmaster model who was the 'fighter', maybe even a dwarf model?

Oddly enough, I play both of these style of armies. The army was originally deisnged as a militia force defending their homes, with adventurers and former soldiers leading them on the field. The army consists of 2 units of of 25 w/ hw+s, 1 unit of 25 w/ halberds, 2 units of 15 with 2 hand weapons, 10 crossbowmen, 24 bowmen, 10 hunters, 12 pistoliers, and a unit of 12-25 flagelants, all led by a Grizzled Veteran (EC), Adventurer (Captain), Wandering sorcerer (Beast Wizard), and the town priest (Sigmar Warrior Priest). I also include Dogs of War Duelists into the list, usually with either a second weapon or throwing knives. These represent a less-disciplined batch of brawlers joining the ranks. As you might guess, magic items are kept to a minimum, since its a low-tech, non-wealthy army. Some magic items are taken to reflect traits of the characters, such as the Icon of Magnus on the general.

To play a Sigmarite theme, I replace the wizard with another preist, and keep the EC and Captain as Witch Hunters. I haven't really played the army much since the release of the Arch Lector of Sigmar, but I might be inclined to include it as my Lord, but the expidition would be better led by a hunter than a priest, me thinks. As for army comp, it is similar to my Militia army, but with more flagelants. If only I could have more than one unit! I also like to include the Regiment of Renown, Vespero's Vendetta, theming them to be a unit of brotherhood elite Witch Hunters.

As for models, the entire army is comprised of Mordhiem and classic collection models and converted Militia box-set plastics. For characters I have the classic Witch Hunter with saber+pistol, Mordhiem Riekland Champions (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99061102002&orignav=300816&ParentID=9323&GameNav=300808&ItemNav=303746), Mordhiem Witch Hunter Captains and Champions (not listed?) (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=303914&orignav=300816&GameNav=300808), and I use the classic Colleges of Magic Empire mages.

In the future I would like to add some Warhounds and elite combat Witch Hunters (Greatswordsmen), though I don't know how to work the dogs in yet. Perhaps by the time I get around to it, some RoR will be released to use the rules of. As of now, I am working on finishing out some other armies, and do not plan on working on these for quite some time.

I must say, these are very fun armies to play. I don't make use of the Detachments rule, since I don't think it fits into the theme. Afterall, these are rabbles taking up arms, not the trained Imperial army regulars. Forfitting the firepower and armor of the Empire, not to mention its specialized tactics, have made it quite the interesting army to play. I always enjoy games with these armies. Oddly enough, I still win more than I lose, though I quite like the challenge.

AdrianWalls
15-01-2006, 21:53
holy crap. The Mordheim figures kick ****. I was thinking of using the hounds from the Space Wolves 40k, but these are so much better! Your ideas are great actually.

I need to learn more about the Dogs of War. I never thought about going that way. I am all about the fluff. I don't care so much about win/loss as long as I am having fun playing and painting and recounting my deeds both heroic and tragic. :)

Of course, I am still going to get a real army as well, use detachment rules, etc, etc... just with the army I want opposed to the army everyone tells me to get.

Shuya
16-01-2006, 07:05
Their is Johan van Hel and Wilhelm Hasburg if you wan't a RoR

darghan
16-01-2006, 23:59
I must say, these are very fun armies to play. I don't make use of the Detachments rule, since I don't think it fits into the theme. Afterall, these are rabbles taking up arms, not the trained Imperial army regulars. Forfitting the firepower and armor of the Empire, not to mention its specialized tactics, have made it quite the interesting army to play. I always enjoy games with these armies. Oddly enough, I still win more than I lose, though I quite like the challenge.

If you want to use hounds, and you don't use detachments anyway, why not convert your list over to SOC's Middenheim list?

Keller
18-01-2006, 00:06
If you want to use hounds, and you don't use detachments anyway, why not convert your list over to SOC's Middenheim list?

I've tried it in the past, but I just don't like it. The Middenhiem list, or even the Cult of Ulric on which it was based, don't work as nicely, since they are Ulrican. My militia/Witch Hunter army is Sigmar based. Its of monor concern, I suppose, but I like the Sigmar prayers and hatred against the Chaotic, which is very befitting of the army.