PDA

View Full Version : 2nd lord choice for WOC

skarsniktheunclean
18-09-2009, 20:10
for my 1st lord choice,i will near enough always choose a chaos lord,but when i bump my nurgle list upto 3000 points, i cant make my mind up wether to take a deamon prince or sorcerer lord.

im leaning more towards the deamon prince,mainly cos its dual purpose,its fighty and magiky,but hopefully youll be able to help me decide.

cheers
matt

Jmznudd
18-09-2009, 20:20
Tzeentch Sorceror Lord on Disc, hands down, is better than a deamon prince. If kitted right its better magically and in combat than the deamon prince.

skarsniktheunclean
18-09-2009, 20:22
sorry i meant to put that i want to stay with a mono nurgle list.

cheers
matt

PeG
18-09-2009, 20:37
I would take a sorceror lord or no additional lord at all but instead add another hero and use the points for someting else.

Enigmatik1
18-09-2009, 20:59
What type of setting? Friendly or competitive?

For friendly environs, I'd say go Daemon Prince. You'll already have an ultra killy Lord (most likely) and your opponent would probably expect a Sorcerer Lord since very few people take DPs except in ultra-fluffy lists, it seems. Their dual nature is nifty, but you pay for it...a decent DP kit whenever I try to make one (Slaanesh) runs me in excess of 500 points (probably because I suck...haha).

For competitive environs, the Sorc Lord is the fairly obvious choice and even the fluff is good if you're going mono/mostly any one Chaos God.

Although I'd have to think that you'd get some mad props for showing up at a big, hardcore tourney and plopping a DP on the field, but I tend to only play friendly games and fluffy lists...so take that with a grain of salt.

skarsniktheunclean
18-09-2009, 21:03
i only ever play friendly games,where we can have a laugh and still have a good game.
Are DP's really that bad????

cheers
matt

Mullitron
18-09-2009, 21:53
i only ever play friendly games,where we can have a laugh and still have a good game.

cheers
matt

Their not really that bad but they are very expensive as already said your looking at 500 points plus. Its less of the fact that their bad and more that the sorcorers can be great for many points less. But they are fun and have great potential for some beautiful models.

zerachiel
18-09-2009, 22:20

cheers
matt

The big problem is that they cannot take any of the nice, useful magic items a Lord can, while they're restricted to them mediocre and very limited number of Daemonic Gifts.

Enigmatik1
19-09-2009, 02:54
The big problem is that they cannot take any of the nice, useful magic items a Lord can, while they're restricted to them mediocre and very limited number of Daemonic Gifts.

QFT!

However, I'd think (in theory) that you can compensate for this by taking 2 level 2 Chaos Sorcerers and get the goodies you would've wanted on the Sorcerer Lord for friendly games at 3k+.

The DP tries, somewhat poorly and clumsily, to consolidate the potential of a Chaos Lord and Sorcerer Lord riding a Chaos Dragon, I think. If you were looking at either of those two options, then the Daemon Prince is a thrifty alternative. Not having the items hurts and is rather retarded, but it is what it is. I think if they had said that DPs could take up to 100 points of Chaos gifts and magic items collectively, plus the obligatory Chaos Armor they would be money.

Daemon Princes are one of those characters that get more attractive as the points go up as you have more points to throw around. Making a 2k list around a 500+ point DP is hard (to me). Making one to fit into a 3k list is much, much easier. I think it's easier if you're going Tzeentch or Nurgle since you don't need a level 4. But I'm a Slaanesh devotee (I see no reason to run anything less than a Level 4 Slaaneshi Sorcerer) and I refuse to mark my DPs anything else.

EldarWonderland
19-09-2009, 19:07
I played my TK vs WoC last week.2000pts.

He knew he was bringing a Daemon Prince so I had a King, Cloak and Flail of Skulls waiting for him.

One charge later, one very dead DP (2 unsaved wounds, doubled = death) lol

I was worried about the DP until then.

Jiggy
19-09-2009, 19:42
Flaif of skulls only doubles the wounds for combat resolution bonuses man...

zerachiel
19-09-2009, 23:13
QFT!

However, I'd think (in theory) that you can compensate for this by taking 2 level 2 Chaos Sorcerers and get the goodies you would've wanted on the Sorcerer Lord for friendly games at 3k+.

The DP tries, somewhat poorly and clumsily, to consolidate the potential of a Chaos Lord and Sorcerer Lord riding a Chaos Dragon, I think. If you were looking at either of those two options, then the Daemon Prince is a thrifty alternative. Not having the items hurts and is rather retarded, but it is what it is. I think if they had said that DPs could take up to 100 points of Chaos gifts and magic items collectively, plus the obligatory Chaos Armor they would be money.

Daemon Princes are one of those characters that get more attractive as the points go up as you have more points to throw around. Making a 2k list around a 500+ point DP is hard (to me). Making one to fit into a 3k list is much, much easier. I think it's easier if you're going Tzeentch or Nurgle since you don't need a level 4. But I'm a Slaanesh devotee (I see no reason to run anything less than a Level 4 Slaaneshi Sorcerer) and I refuse to mark my DPs anything else.

The big thing is that the Daemon Prince will forever be, to me, a safer but less powerful version of the Sorcerer Lord- with his obligatory Tentacles of Tzeentch, he is very, very unlikely to miscast. But, the Sorcerer Lord can use a Power Familiar to generate 5 dice, and they can both use the Homunculus (and both durr equally often with Ld 8)... But then the Sorcerer Lord can grab himself some protection and other oddities, while the Daemon Prince can't. The Sorcerer Lord can grab himself a Chaos Runesword, a Collar of Khorne, and a Disc of Tzeentch... And still come in at less points (by like... 60+). Besides, the Sorcerer Lord isn't in the list to bludgeon people with his sword- he's in the list to shoot flankers, fliers, dragons, redirecters, characters, unit blocks... Well, everything.

The Daemon Prince can do a bit of everything, but... Suck at everything, frankly, compared to the others. He's crazy expensive as a wizard and not as devastating as a Lord (who could use Book of Secrets, Power Familiar to generate 6 dice and 5 spells, and spend 20 points to fly), only US4 when trying to act like a flanking dragon, not enough attacks and resilience to have the unit-soloing potential of a Lord on Dragon, only Ld 8 so isn't as good as a general...

To top it off, he's only got 1 model, unless I want to start explaining why my fantasy DP has pauldrons that huge. :(

Flaif of skulls only doubles the wounds for combat resolution bonuses man...

No, the Flaif of skulls might do that, but the Flail of Skulls is simply: "Counts as flail. Each unsaved wound becomes two wounds." (p.37, Warhammer: Tomb Kings (oh gawds don't sue me))

Axis
20-09-2009, 12:44
for my 1st lord choice,i will near enough always choose a chaos lord,but when i bump my nurgle list upto 3000 points, i cant make my mind up wether to take a deamon prince or sorcerer lord.

im leaning more towards the deamon prince,mainly cos its dual purpose,its fighty and magiky,but hopefully youll be able to help me decide.

cheers
matt

You could always go a second chaos lord :D.

I like Daemon Princes. I run one with MoS, diabolic splendour, fury of the blood god and 2-4 levels of magic (usually 3). It does reasonably well.

I feel the daemon prince is more of a support type unit (although very expensive). You can use it hunt fast cav, warmachines. It is quite squishy with only 4 wounds at T5 and 5+ ward. it is quite good though.

Ξ H2O Ξ
20-09-2009, 13:05
If its just a friendly game u should deff run:
1 Lord on dragon
1 Lord on foot
2 Sorcerers

3 tiny units of marauder
3 units of dog (yay for screens!)

and then all ur "left over" points (around 1500) in a big unit of Chosen and a unit of knights. Would be funny to set that up and see what happens.

But more seriously i'd deff go for a sorcerer lord over a DP (too expensive and for the points underpowered) and if u think ur sorc is deff gonna see combat give him a runesword or summin (axe of khorne is funny as a "Surprise **** ur lord be dead in one 6 to wound!").

Quahua
21-09-2009, 18:35
Normally for secondary lord, I go for Sorc. But! I have as well used Daemon Prince, actually only for lore of Heavens.(Comet!;)) My opponents Tomb king totally pwned him in CC:cries:.

But the Sorc is so great at magic, i usually go with him.

/offtopic
What do you guys think of having 4 sorcs of nurgle?
Instakilling every enemy character at every turn.
/end off

Enigmatik1
21-09-2009, 18:43
Normally for secondary lord, I go for Sorc. But! I have as well used Daemon Prince, actually only for lore of Heavens.(Comet!;)) My opponents Tomb king totally pwned him in CC:cries:.

In his defense, a Tomb King can be a nasty piece of bones and linen in close combat. :D

zerachiel
21-09-2009, 21:53
In his defense, a Tomb King can be a nasty piece of bones and linen in close combat. :D

Also in his defense, the Tomb King is the ONLY nasty piece of bones and linen we have. :D

But on topic- don't expect to play a DP in a fluffy way (ie. rawring into the enemy army head-on and taking heads), he just isn't built to take a unit on with any amount of success.

Malorian
21-09-2009, 21:56
/offtopic
What do you guys think of having 4 sorcs of nurgle?
Instakilling every enemy character at every turn.
/end off

It's great if your goal is to **** off everyone you know to the point where you wake up one morning to find your sorcerers melted by a welding torch... twice...