PDA

View Full Version : Movement and scoring rules?

Adrian
15-01-2006, 19:43
Ok, two questions.

a) how do you all score points on Heroes? i.e. Characters with 2 Wounds. When do you score all, and when half the points? The Rulebook states you score half the points when you reduce a Character to below its starting wounds.. Does that mean you never score half?

b) A unit is standing at the edge of a wood and declares a charge. One measures movement from the front rank (I'm talking about a ranked unit). Does the unit move measured from the front rank, or does one halve movement as long as any model of the unit is in the wood. I would have thought normal movement as one always measures from the front rank.

Thanks!

Eldaron
15-01-2006, 20:24
a) characters have to be on less then half their starting wounds to score half the points (was errated some time ago).

Baindread
15-01-2006, 22:36
a) characters have to be on less then half their starting wounds to score half the points (was errated some time ago).

So 2 wounds heroes needs to be killed before they award VP?

b) As long as there is a part of the unit still in the woods they subtract from their movement value due to difficult terrain.

Eldaron
15-01-2006, 22:44
Yes, you have to kill 2 wound characters in order to get VP for them.

Adrian
16-01-2006, 17:42
I am surprised that no one answers here on warseer.

I was actually looking for some rule quotes to help support claims, not just opinions :)

Atrahasis
16-01-2006, 18:25
I am surprised that no one answers here on warseer.

I was actually looking for some rule quotes to help support claims, not just opinions :)

a) Page 198 is very clear. A model must be reduced to below half wounds to award half points. Below means below, not "equal to or below".

b) The rules for terrain affect models not units. A unit must move at the pace of its slowest member. Therefore if any model is subject to terrain penalties for movement, the whole unit is.

Sorry, I don't have the rulebook to give you exact quotations at the moment, but a thorough reading of the sections on terrain and the victory points page 198 should be everything you need.

Festus
16-01-2006, 19:09
Hi

It is p.50 of the BRB that you should look at. Movement is for units, not models. A unit moves as slow as its slowest member.

As long as a unit (or any part thereof) moves through any terrain - difficult or very difficult - or as long as the unit crosses an obstacle, it moves at a reduced rate or gives up part of its movement.

Greetings
Festus

Eldaron
16-01-2006, 20:03
Well, I wasn`t thinking quotations would be neccessary as the rules concerning these things are quite clear ;)

Adrian
16-01-2006, 20:22
So everyone plays it, that one must kill heroes to gain any points at all.. correct?

Mad Makz
16-01-2006, 21:15
Correct. Because that's the rule. Only 3 wound plus characters you can get half points for (which is fair enough, doing a single wound to a hero really shouldn't be worth 50-60+ victory points, it's too easy to 'fluke' a single wound).

Nell2ThaIzzay
17-01-2006, 02:34
This is the first I've ever heard of that rule. My friends and I just play that you have to kill the character to get the points.

But then again, we're only playing 1250 games right now too, so we don't have any lords or anything that would have more than 2 wounds.

Avian
18-01-2006, 09:21
So everyone plays it, that one must kill heroes to gain any points at all.. correct?
We have a house rule that says half or below half to get half VPs.

I think it just makes more sens that if your opponent has a two-base swarm and you kill one base and reduce the other to 1 remaining wound you should at least get some VPs. :eyebrows:

Mad Makz
18-01-2006, 09:29
Avian, interesting point, although I suppose you could argue that for multi wound regiments being reduced below half strength should equally be below half the units starting number of wounds, in which case you wouldn't need equal or below to deal with the swarm situation.

Either are viable house rules.

Avian
18-01-2006, 10:06
Yeah, you could do that.

To be honest, though, the main reason is: half dead = half VPs.
I've been pondering giving VPs per quarter, but I figure it will be a bit too much calculating for some people compared to not a lot of gain.

Atrahasis
18-01-2006, 10:54
Yeah, you could do that.

To be honest, though, the main reason is: half dead = half VPs.
I've been pondering giving VPs per quarter, but I figure it will be a bit too much calculating for some people compared to not a lot of gain.

Another problem is that the closer you come to handing out VPs per model, the less viable expensive troop types become. Elite infantry don't need any more drawbacks really.

Avian
20-01-2006, 11:55
What? Aren't you mixing "expensive" with "harder to kill"?

Atrahasis
20-01-2006, 12:01
What? Aren't you mixing "expensive" with "harder to kill"?

No. I really don't understand what you think I'm saying.

I'm saying that high cost per model troops become less and less efficient the closer you move towards a system that hands out VPs for every model killed.

Avian
20-01-2006, 13:01
And your reason for saying that is?

T10
20-01-2006, 14:02
I see what Atrahasis is getting at:

It may be easier to score VP's on a unit of expensive models byt whittling them down as compared to reaching the half-strength or destroyed benchmarks.

E.g. a 20-strong(!) unit of Chaos Knights would yield 0 VP for the first 0-10 casualties. Then you kill one more and you get 50% of the (rather high) VP worth.

I can understand that this gives the impression that expensive models will suffer if one were to count VP's per model, but that's just because they benefit the most for the moment.

-T10