PDA

View Full Version : faster than light travel, other than the warp?

The Anarchist
18-09-2009, 22:32
So its pretty much in the title, is there any methods of FTL in 40k other than using the warp? i know the tau have a semi-warp dependant ftl method, but is there anything else? I never really played BFG so was wodnering if anything was mentioned in that or any other source that i mgiht have missed.

Also whether there have been mentions of ftl not using the warp before can anyone think of methods useable and belivable in 40k? I'm doing this to write my own fluff for a human based society inside the Imperium thats been discovered by the Imperium and is even darker and gritier than the standard Imperium.

Parad0x
18-09-2009, 22:36
Necrons have their own FTL travel system, that have managed to develop on their own, without using the warp as aid.. have no idea how it works in theory tho... best guess is like in the game Mass Effect.

Lord Damocles
18-09-2009, 22:36
Necron inertialess drives and phase technology are the two most obvious.
More conventional teleportation as well for humans.

EDIT: Some ponderings on FTL drives/tech here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213671

Argastes
18-09-2009, 22:59
Also whether there have been mentions of ftl not using the warp before can anyone think of methods useable and belivable in 40k?

The "default" method in 40K is so ridiculous that you would be hard-pressed to think up a new method that's less believable. You really don't need to worry about whether it's "usable and believable", just make up whatever you want and go with it, it can't be more implausible than a bunch of other stuff that already exists in the 40K setting. All FTL travel is basically magic and handwavium anyhow.

Just decide on what effects you want the drive to have (e.g., how far it can go in a single "jump" or how many times faster than light speed it allows the ship to travel, whether it has to be activated at a specific location in space such as "jump point" or whether the ship can enter FTL flight from anywhere, etc.), and then come up with whatever technobabble sounds good to you in order to justify it.

"The drive uses the supercritical collapse of a quantum wavefront within the ship's Godfrey generator to convert the ship's mass to tachyons, which are prohibited by the laws of physics from travelling slower than the speed of light; the conditions under which the wavefront is made to collapse determines how long it takes for the ship's mass to revert back to normal particles due to the Hirn effect, and thus how far the ship travels at superluminal speed before returning to sub-C velocities."

Or,

"The Whiz-Bang drive forces the ship through the light-speed barrier using the outrage of honest politicians."

Or whatever else you care to dream up. Have fun, the 40K setting is extremely open to this sort of thing.

Mannimarco
19-09-2009, 00:25
FTL technology is a dangerous thing to play with, you dont want your ship coming out all "event horizon" its safer just to stick to going through the warp.....oh wait

Wolflord Havoc
19-09-2009, 01:22
Don;t the Tau 'skim' the Warp or some such - while slower than true Warp Travel it has none of the dangers and is FTL.

Eldar use Webway which obviously has a downside that you need to be near an entryway large enough for their vessels.

Event Horizon - ah yes the dangers of 'Folding Space' (I still think that the vessel entered Warp Space and the crew went insane). School boy error.

Son of Sanguinius
19-09-2009, 03:27
That's what great about 40k. The ultimate terror in some horror movie is equivalent to an Imperial Guardsman's carpool to work. :D

Grubnar
19-09-2009, 04:11
Hmm...

As has been pointed out, the Tau only "sort of" use the warp, only just skimming it for shorter "jumps".

The Necrons have their own thing that nobody really knows how it works.

The Tyranids also seem to have their own thing going although it has been hinted at that they do use the warp but utterly block out anything non-tyranid. If so, im not sure you could call it the warp any longer.

The Eldar have the webway, but that is (NOT A PICKUP TRUCK THAT TAKES YOU WHERE YOU WANT. IT IS A SERIES OF TUBES!) more like a tunnel system in the warp so Im not sure if it should count.

Iracundus
19-09-2009, 04:33
Hmm...
The Tyranids also seem to have their own thing going although it has been hinted at that they do use the warp but utterly block out anything non-tyranid. If so, im not sure you could call it the warp any longer.

It has been more than just "hinted" at. Tyranids have been shown using warp jumps in Epic Hive War, 2nd ed. Tyranid Codex, 3rd ed. Tyranid Codex, etc... You are also confusing the psychic communication blocking termed the Shadow in the Warp with the actual method the Tyranids use for travel. It is true however that a hive fleet's warp passage and warp signiature makes the warp turbulent around it (see Inquisitor Kryptmann's journey from Thandros to Macragge, p.7 2nd ed. Tyranid Codex). However that isn't different from a ship churning up the water around it, and isn't specifically directed at non-Tyranids.

Over and over again people keep having this misconception the Tyranids don't use the warp despite abundant evidence down the various editions of the Tyranid Codex that they do.

Lothlanathorian
19-09-2009, 07:30
Tau use the Warp. The may 'skim' the Warp, but they need the Warp to do so.

Tyranids use the Warp.

Teleportation technology uses the Warp.

Necrons, they don't need no stinkin' Warp.

Eldar Webway is in the Warp.

I never want to see the word Warp again.

Warp.

Sekhmet
19-09-2009, 07:50
Necron inertialess drives and phase technology are the two most obvious.
More conventional teleportation as well for humans.

EDIT: Some ponderings on FTL drives/tech here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213671

"conventional teleportation" is through the warp.

FTL technology is a dangerous thing to play with, you dont want your ship coming out all "event horizon" its safer just to stick to going through the warp.....oh wait
The Event Horizon went through the warp. They didn't have a gellar field, so they got all messed up.

The webway isn't true FTL, it's relative FTL. That is, if you race a photon by entering the webway and exiting a very far distance away, you'll get there before the photon does, but you were not moving FTL. The only true FTL is the Necron's inertia-less drives.

Bassik
19-09-2009, 08:24
The Event Horizon went through the warp. They didn't have a gellar field, so they got all messed up.

Awesome.:D

massey
19-09-2009, 15:17

Yeah, this is always the way I saw it. An early experiment in warp travel, before we had the navigator gene or anything like that.

TheBigBadWolf
19-09-2009, 16:33
All this talk of event horizon, im going to watch it again :D

I always like the analogy that tau warp was like a balll going under water and then it bounces out above the water at tremendous speed.

Lothlanathorian
19-09-2009, 21:41
All this talk of event horizon, im going to watch it again :D

I always like the analogy that tau warp was like a balll going under water and then it bounces out above the water at tremendous speed.

That is an awesome analogy. I like that one.

Grubnar
21-09-2009, 20:53
It has been more than just "hinted" at. Tyranids have been shown using warp jumps in Epic Hive War, 2nd ed. Tyranid Codex, 3rd ed. Tyranid Codex, etc... You are also confusing the psychic communication blocking termed the Shadow in the Warp with the actual method the Tyranids use for travel. It is true however that a hive fleet's warp passage and warp signiature makes the warp turbulent around it (see Inquisitor Kryptmann's journey from Thandros to Macragge, p.7 2nd ed. Tyranid Codex). However that isn't different from a ship churning up the water around it, and isn't specifically directed at non-Tyranids.

Over and over again people keep having this misconception the Tyranids don't use the warp despite abundant evidence down the various editions of the Tyranid Codex that they do.

Ah... I think you misunderstood me, probably because I find it difficult to form my thoughts on the subject into words useing a language (english) that is not my first or even second language.

I know that the Tyranids "use" the Warp. I think one of their psychic is even called Warp Blast? But my point is that I doubt they use it in the same or similar way that the humans or Eldar use it. I do not know how to say this in english. The best I can come up with right now is to compare it to an oil spill on the ocean. It is moveing just like water and goint wherever the tides carry it, but any fish (deamon) that tryes to swim in it will end up dead.

Col. Tartleton
21-09-2009, 22:09
I would actually use internet spam as my term of choice rather than oil, but yes, the nids just go with it.

Pretty much they use a natural psychic gellar field powered by their constant biological technobabble. The trillions upon trillions of micro organisms linked telapathically does a lot of mind ******* and distorts the warp around the vessels. The energy of the warp is constantly being pushed back by the sheer focus of it.

Eldar seers can likewise distort the warp away from them, but on a much smaller scale and for a far shorter time. However a hive fleet has the mental focus and raw strength to do this indefinately. On a smaller scale their can provide an invulnerable save to certain tyrannids.

Don't quote me on that though, but that's how I see it. The side effect of this constant spam in real space is the shadow of the warp.

baphomael
22-09-2009, 01:09
Don;t the Tau 'skim' the Warp or some such - while slower than true Warp Travel it has none of the dangers and is FTL.

Yea, the Tau cant actually enter the warp fully (since they dont have navigators, gellar fields etc) so use what they know of warp-drive technology to essentially begin warp transition but instead of actually entering the warp they skim between warp and realspace like a pebble across a pond. Its faster than they would otherwise travel, but slowe than normal warp travel, but far more practical for the tau.

The Eldar have the webway, but that is (NOT A PICKUP TRUCK THAT TAKES YOU WHERE YOU WANT. IT IS A SERIES OF TUBES!) more like a tunnel system in the warp so Im not sure if it should count.

I like to think to think of the webway thus - if warp travel is like crossing the English Channel during a storm in a cayak, then the webway is like crossing the Channel Tunnel instead.

Don't quote me on that though, but that's how I see it. The side effect of this constant spam in real space is the shadow of the warp.

Thats a pretty good analogy for the Shadow in the Warp - psychic warp-spam.

JHZ
22-09-2009, 05:49
So Hive Mind = 4chan and the Warp shadow = a flame war that snuffs out the light of (Emperor's) reason?

Who said GW doesn't keep up with the times?

I'm always imagining the Necron FTL to be even remotely based on real world physics, rather than some deus ex technomagicks that plague scifi so often. Seeing that Necron phasing technology enables them to move through walls and energy fields (wraiths and warscythes), surely it detaches them from the regular constraints that hold matter back. Combine that with those inertless drives, they should be pretty free to boost around space any way they want.

Hell, to the outside world the Necrons may travel is fast, but maybe time flows slower inside the ship due to the extreme speeds, causing years to pass inside. I mean, who knows what sort of 2001: A Space Odyssey things happens when you really go past light speed. Maybe time actually starts to go backwards inside the ship, or something (like in Diebuster where when caught in the blast of below absolute zero temperature, a person is transported back in time for a moment). To the eternal Necrons this wouldn't be a problem. They can wait.

El_Machinae
23-09-2009, 16:21
I agree that the only species that uses physics for FTL are the Necrons. They do it, so it should be possible. But they're the only ones doing it, it seems, so it must be hard to figure out

PxDn Ninja
23-09-2009, 16:39
Just the clarify, Necrons use Inertialess drives. This makes their FTL travel the safest in the 40k universe because they avoid the warp completely. It works by simply removing the effects of Inertia and drag on their ships. Basically they can accelerate without an upper limit, they just keep going faster and faster, and due to the lack of inertia, they can do it near instantly. This keeps them from showing up on radars in space until they are already in the combat zone or over a planet.