PDA

View Full Version : Mannfred the acolyte on abyssal terror?

Mullitron
19-09-2009, 12:19
Flicking through my vampire book and looking in more detail i noticed mannfred the acolyte (hero) was able to take abyssal terror as a mount. I was just curious if anyone had tried this combo and had any fun and or success with it? I can imagine a vampire on a flying terror causing mount could be quite nasty in a smaller game. Probably not a sensible option for most day to day games but wondered if anyone had any views/advice on it or any fun stories to tell?

Monsterzonk
19-09-2009, 12:46
I agree that the idea of a flying, Terror-causing Vamp is appealing, but I think Mannfred's not the ideal choice for that, since he has no save whatsoever.

I'd go for a generic Vampire with Supernatural Horror, Avatar of Death (heavy armour, shield), a Hellsteed, Balefire Spike and Wristbands of Black Gold. 205 points, which is more survivable and also a lot cheaper than Mannfred...

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

PARTYCHICORITA
19-09-2009, 15:30
Generic vampires however can't ride abyssal terrors. I guess its the hero choice flying monster what makes this option appealing.
Plus, beeing manfred, he could take the book of arkham and cast Dance on himself 3 times on a single magic phase to try a useful flank charge.

Monsterzonk
19-09-2009, 15:48
Yes, generic Vampires cannot ride Abyssal Terrors, but they can ride Hellsteeds, which also fly. And, not being Monstrous Mounts, they convey +1 to the rider's armour save and cannot be shot from under their butts.

Mannfred on an Abyssal Terror is more than 300 points. That's a lot for a model without any save at all, IMHO.

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

zerachiel
19-09-2009, 15:50
The only time I've ever used him on the Horror was in an all-Hero free-for-all, where he performed admirably... But not in fighting (oh no, all those Old Bloods and Exalted Heroes could paste him in one round). He basically circled the field and raised Zombies everywhere and Gaze'd people until they're all dead.

What does that have to do with anything? Well, despite his expense, a fighty Hero in my army books will still mop the floor with him (even if his Horror's more of a challenge). They only need to survive the first round to move their character over to knock Mannfred off his big horror and make it US4, causing rank bonuses to apply again and killing the Horror by SCR. You have to use him with another block charging in the front, he's not much of a commando even with the Horror.

Leo85
20-09-2009, 23:50
Dont think u can cast VDM on a unit more than once if it was successful :/

zerachiel
21-09-2009, 00:42
Dont think u can cast VDM on a unit more than once if it was successful :/

He's stating that you can Danse Mannfred 3 times to get past the opponent's attempts at dispelling VDM, not to have Mannfred zoom 60" across the table.

Leo85
21-09-2009, 00:47
I'd hope so.