PDA

View Full Version : Army of Nuln 2000p

Kahadras
15-01-2006, 21:45
Ok despite the title I have not used the list from the back of the Empire armies book. The list is ment to be for casual play. The main reason that I am going to start collecting an army is the fact that I am moving soon and I am not sure whether Warhammer or 40K is more popular (where I am it's 40K). I wanted to start thinking about a list that I may want to take if I have to switch back to playing Warhammer mainly. So without futher ado...

Elector count + Armour of Meteoric Iron and Holy Relic = 155p

Master Engineer = 55p

Master Engineer = 55p

Battle Wizard + 2 dispel scrolls = 110p

24 Swordsmen + FC and Elector count = 193p
+ Detachment - 10 Swordsmen = 70p

20 Swordsmen + FC and Griffon Standard = 215p

20 Swordsmen + FC = 165p

10 Handgunners = 80p

10 Handgunners = 80p

9 Huntsmen = 72p

5 Knights = 115p

5 Pistoliers = 95p

2 Cannon = 200p

Morter = 75p

Helblaster Volley Gun = 125p

Total = 2000 points

The basic tactic is that I set up defencivly. My Swordsmen hold the center with their detachments. The handgunners then protect the flanks of this defencive wedge. The artillery are set up to engage the enemy as soon as possible in order to cause maximum casualties. The Engineers deploy with a cannon and the morter to improve their aim and hopefully to negate misfires. The Helblaster volley gun is set up to protect one flank of the army while the pistoliers move down the other. The knights support the Pistoliers on the flank and can wheel and engage enemy units that are attacking my center.
So I use the firepower of my war machines to force my opponant to move forward onto my waiting blocks of infantry. Hopefully by the time they reach my lines they have already suffered plenty of casualties and are then broken by my swordsmen and detachments. Any tough units are charged in the flank by my knights. The pistoliers will hopefully drive away any flanking units and the helblaster volley gun should keep people from trying to get round my lines on the other side. Lastly the huntsmen are there for general annoyance.
This list also has weaknesses as well. Magic is a real problem as I am short of character slots (Nuln should have at least 2 Engineers in it IMO). Hopefully I can hold magic back sufficently with what I have. So does anybody have any thoughts, comments, sugestions etc.

Kahadras

MarcoPollo
16-01-2006, 02:40
My buddy has an army of Nuln and it was very frustrating to play against. The main idea behind his army was to shoot the snot out of me until I got to his lines and then smack me with a hord of foot troops. This got boring as I would play a lizzie 2k very, very shooty, magic in return.

His winning idea was to include Valten (the minor version) with/close to a unit of spearmen with the griffon banner (elector count). He could advance that big block towards my front lines without jeopardy. It was an extreme challenge to play against that army and I think I would be extremely challenged with yours too.

Kahadras
18-01-2006, 10:55
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I really don't want to build a boring list but I was reading an Empire tactica forum a while ago that advocated deep block infantry and beating your opponant through CR. I wanted an army sorta like that but with more stuff that goes boom. I prefer interesting armies to play with and I don't think the list itself is to overpowered (only one level one wizard).

Kahadras

Danger Rat
18-01-2006, 12:23
I don't think your list is boring you've picked a theme and designed your army around it. I don't know the empire list well but could you swap the knights for more pistoliers it would be more in keeping with the nuln theme and if you gave both units a champion with a repeating pistol they would pack quite a punch for dealing with threats to your war machines and flank charging enemy units.

Kahadras
19-01-2006, 00:33
Probelm is that I am running out of special slots. As I am using the normal empire list and not the Nuln one the majority of my warmachines are in special. That means that if I take another squad of pistolieers I will have to drop a cannon or a morter which would make the list feel a lot less like a Nuln army and more of a traditional Empire force. I dunno what do other people think?

Kahadras

Brother Edwin
19-01-2006, 01:16
Where are you moveing to?

Danger Rat
19-01-2006, 09:38
I don't know the empire list that well so i wasn't sure how many slots you had used up in which case id leave the army as it is

Kahadras
19-01-2006, 09:53
I don't know the empire list that well so i wasn't sure how many slots you had used up in which case id leave the army as it is

Well I have 4 special slots in 2000 points and those went on 2 cannon, the morter and the pistoliers. If I end up expanding the army I would definatly take another unit of pistoliers as they are a great flanking force IMO.

Kahadras

feintstar
19-01-2006, 13:20
I find it odd, but not a bad thing by any means, that you have 5 knights and over 60 swordsmen yet only 20 handgunners in a "nuln" themed list.

I would consider dropping the Knights plus 4 swords from the 24 strong sword unit for 2 detatchments of 8 Handgunners on those two big core central units. Harder to use I admit, but just firstly for theme, secondly a second flanking unit wouldn't go astray, and nor would a stand and shoot order from the detatchment.

I know Empire Knights are good, its just... Nuln don't seem knightly to me.

Kahadras
19-01-2006, 15:04
Thats why I sorta limited them. I really wanted to find an order that might base itself in Nuln. The reason for the lack of handgunners is me shying away from an all out shooty army which people may complain about. With lots of cannon and engineers I can safely say that it is an army from Nuln without making people feel like they are facing to much of a gun line. I mearly put the knights in as an interesting unit to move (quite a bit of my army will remain stationary for most of the games that I play). They were also recommmended as a unit that can support deep block infantry by charging the flanks of enemy units.

Kahadras