PDA

View Full Version : Morghur...Worth taking to a tourney?

Seabo
19-09-2009, 22:47
Morghur, Master of Skulls, Spirit Essence of Chaos...the uber cool lurching spawnbeast that's usually just as nasty on your own forces as on the enemy...
Now there is a tourney coming up called Battle of the Beasts (totally fitting :D ). Armies are 3k and special chars are allowed. I am expecting some incredibly cheesed out armies :)
Now I have played Morghur a few times. Crowning achievement was having a 2nd gen Slann miscast and roll double...the look on opponents face was priceless. But mostly he shuffles around in the back field penned in by a bunch of sacrificial herds whose sole duty is to die and generate Spawn. The skirmished Bestigors (Khorne...always Khorne :D) become the heavy hammer. Not much can stand up to them.
At 378pts and 2 char slots he is a hefty investment and the army counts as not having a general which makes them lose out on improved leadership.
Playing with the idea of running him with a Doombull (MoK), 2 Bray Shamans and a BSB (also probly MoK)
What are your opinions on him?

sulla
20-09-2009, 00:06
With him you have no general. At 3K, that is potentially a lot of unmodified psych tests. Personally, I like him at 2K but I think it might be too risky at 3K.

Kalec
20-09-2009, 05:08
Well, you are playing beasts of chaos, so you wouldn't be beating many armies that can force a lot of leadership tests anyway. The best defense is still mark of slaanesh or khorne. Extra nasty miscasting will help against all the mages likely to show up.

I would go for it. Your odds aren't good anyways, but Morghur is fun for everyone and gives you a very, very, very slim chance at winning, which is quite an improvement over most BoC lists.

sulla
20-09-2009, 05:23
Not true. A slaanesh doombull led army has a decent Ld bubble, can field a large number of immune to psych units and a large number of shaman with the lore of slaanesh.

But anyway, the main reason against morghur in 3K is the speed of the game. With unruly on everyone, random move spawn spam and extra skirmishers (who wouldn't take a decent group of khornegors), the game plays a fair bit slower with Morghur. Expect grumbles at how slow the game will play.

Nathangonmad
20-09-2009, 09:29
Expect grumbles at how slow the game will play.

At a tourament I doubt that would happen. I think he'd be too busy going YES I DREW BEASTMEN, FREE WIN!

snottlebocket
20-09-2009, 13:22
Morghur is the ruiner of games. He just turns the entire game into a pointless mire of random spawn and combats that ultimately achieve nothing except waste your day.

zeekill
20-09-2009, 16:06
Morghur is the ruiner of games. He just turns the entire game into a pointless mire of random spawn and combats that ultimately achieve nothing except waste your day.

You clearly have never heard of something called STRATEGY. Run a spawn into a unit, and at T5 not much will happen to it. But no matter how large your combat rez is, the spawn will just stand there, keeping that unit in combat for as long as you take to kill it. Then you swing around to this unit's flank with two chariots (or my personal favorite, a Khornegor unit with the Beast Banner in it) and destroy it, and your opponent cant do anything about your amazing tarpits that just keep coming back.

snottlebocket
20-09-2009, 19:15
You clearly have never heard of something called STRATEGY. Run a spawn into a unit, and at T5 not much will happen to it. But no matter how large your combat rez is, the spawn will just stand there, keeping that unit in combat for as long as you take to kill it. Then you swing around to this unit's flank with two chariots (or my personal favorite, a Khornegor unit with the Beast Banner in it) and destroy it, and your opponent cant do anything about your amazing tarpits that just keep coming back.

Morghur is far too random for strategy. I'm not saying he's overpowered, I'm saying he ruins games by littering the table with spawn. It's not like opponents won't see your silly flanking trick coming a mile away, which pretty much turns the game into 'oh look spawn blocking up the table. We can either stop playing or I'll just go for a very boring, slow, draw by backing up in a defensive position and watch as more and more of your army turn into useless spawn because I refuse to play along and let you flank me'.

People here will just laugh at you if you bring him and go find another game that doesn't waste their time.

Kalec
20-09-2009, 22:35
People here will just laugh at you if you bring him and go find another game that doesn't waste their time.

Do you enjoy responding to topics you don't bother to read?

nzdarkelf
20-09-2009, 23:36
Mate if you want to play Morghur then go for it. I have always wanted to give him a run. I've got the model, just a lack of spawn models is stopping me. I'm hoping he will be retained as a Special Character when the army book is redone.

sulla
21-09-2009, 05:23
I've got him, and 10+ spawn thanks to the apocalypse 'tide of spawn' as well as 30+ bestigors... Be prepared for a very slow game with all the unruly, skirmishers and random movement. (And bring plenty of wound markers too, to distinguish the 1,2,3,4,5,6 wound spawn from each other.)

Ward.
21-09-2009, 05:33
I've got him, and 10+ spawn thanks to the apocalypse 'tide of spawn' as well as 30+ bestigors... Be prepared for a very slow game with all the unruly, skirmishers and random movement. (And bring plenty of wound markers too, to distinguish the 1,2,3,4,5,6 wound spawn from each other.)

Here's something of note for the OP, as I'd ream your sportmanship score if you didn't have decent wound counters with you during a 3000 point tournament.
That specifically means not using dice.

The metagame might suggest he's a bad idea though, as vampires, DOC and dark elves all have "higher" leadership but also cast a lot of magic.

sulla
21-09-2009, 07:44
The metagame might suggest he's a bad idea though, as vampires, DOC and dark elves all have "higher" leadership but also cast a lot of magic.Magic's not an issue. I brought 10 dispel dice with my last 2K list thanks to Morghur himself, a caddy, MoK chariots, MoK characters and the obligatory khornegor unit. Beasts can be almost brokenly good vs magic heavy armies.

Ward.
21-09-2009, 09:31
Magic's not an issue. I brought 10 dispel dice with my last 2K list thanks to Morghur himself, a caddy, MoK chariots, MoK characters and the obligatory khornegor unit. Beasts can be almost brokenly good vs magic heavy armies.

I was suggesting it as a counter point to my own explanation ;)

snottlebocket
21-09-2009, 15:55
Do you enjoy responding to topics you don't bother to read?

Oh I read the tournament bit and I know they can't refuse to play him. That still doesn't change the fact that it usually is a waste of time to play a morghur game for both players though.

Even if you don't care a jot about wasting your opponents time, you're still wasting your own, especially during tournaments when you're trying to win on a timelimit.

zeekill
22-09-2009, 03:13
Oh I read the tournament bit and I know they can't refuse to play him. That still doesn't change the fact that it usually is a waste of time to play a morghur game for both players though.

Even if you don't care a jot about wasting your opponents time, you're still wasting your own, especially during tournaments when you're trying to win on a timelimit.

Its just rolling 2 dice for movement, 8-10 times a turn. Not a big deal, lots of people have to do it in 40k for things like running, going through terrain, etc. I suggest you play against a Morghur list and quickly realize that it only takes about 15 extra minutes total if you are not stupid and pre-determine what your spawn will do that turn while your opponent is making his turn. I understand if you are easily agitated and probably punch every tree spirit wood elf player you see because his games "take too long," but seriously stop exaggerating things.

Draco74
22-09-2009, 12:56
I like the Khornegors, but I played this list against Lizardmen and two units of skinks kept them chasing their own tails all game. Frenzied skirmishers are very hard to control. At least they are for me, but then again I'm not very good at playing.

bork da basher
22-09-2009, 19:14
i faced the horrible morghur list the other day and it was differant and i can't say i didn't enjoy it but it did just turn the game into a standstill of boring spawn combats. with i think 10 spawn on the table by turn 5 it was just crazy. you cannot hope to deal with so many and i was overwhelmed as my elite units were bogged down with spawn, unable to kill enough to break away and unable to break away (being undead) it was the first time i think ive wanted to fail a break test just to get away from them lol.

E-Dog
22-09-2009, 21:18
I voted take him. Should be fun. I like hounds for generating the spawn tho'

Badders
23-09-2009, 22:18
you just surround huim with units of LD 5 dogs ftw forget beast herds...... let them ambush and screw over the army and watch a load of endless spawn run at the enemy.

zerachiel
23-09-2009, 23:38

A well-run Morghur list is pretty competitive. And while it's obvious that you'd flank him after the Spawn hit, Morghur can make so many Spawns that the enemy will have no choice but to fight the Spawns if they want any VPs at all. Recognizing an opposing maneuver is different from actually being able to stop it. Pointing out: "Oh, I know what you're doing there, you're baiting my Frenzy troops with your Dogs!" will not stop your Frenzy troops from actually getting led around unless you do something about it. Small, elite armies will be bogged down and dragged down by all the Unbreakable going on, as they rely on winning combat significantly and then moving on to the next unit to massacre. When you have only 1 unit to his 3, how are you going to stop yourself from being flanked, even with the knowledge that he's trying to flank you? You can only back up so far...

decker_cky
23-09-2009, 23:49
Its just rolling 2 dice for movement, 8-10 times a turn. Not a big deal, lots of people have to do it in 40k for things like running, going through terrain, etc. I suggest you play against a Morghur list and quickly realize that it only takes about 15 extra minutes total if you are not stupid and pre-determine what your spawn will do that turn while your opponent is making his turn. I understand if you are easily agitated and probably punch every tree spirit wood elf player you see because his games "take too long," but seriously stop exaggerating things.

Each unit (all those hounds, each spawn unit, etc..) gets unruly. Each spawn has to roll unruly then random movement. Creating spawn is extra early rolls. That panics units, which are more rolls that a normal game wouldn't have. Not that someone experiences couldn't manage it well, but morghur is quite a bit slower to play with than a normal beast general.