PDA

View Full Version : Tooling up my marauder horsemen. WoC

rsowell
20-09-2009, 02:54
Working on building a cookie cutter calv list and was wondering how you guys gear up your horsemen. I've read different things in many threads suggesting everything but putting light armour and shields on em to take away the fast calv bonus.

To get an idea of what items would synergize well I'm running 1 tzeench sorc lord, 2 nurgle sorcs and as many knights and dogs as I can field.

Seville
20-09-2009, 03:11
Well, flails are a really good deal for what they do. Typically, I will run a squad of 5 with light armor, flails, and Mark of Slaanesh. Maybe a musician if I am feeling spendy, but usually not.

Occasionally, if I am dealing with Dark Elves and those darn march-blocking harpies, I'll give them throwing axes or throwing spears to try to force panic checks.

Or if I am trying to cut down on points, I'll just run them naked with flails.

Drachen_Jager
20-09-2009, 04:26
Armour is a waste of points IMO but I'm a statistics nerd when it comes to warhammer and I just don't think that statistically it's a significant gain.

As for weapons I usually give them Flails and MoK or nothing and MoS, if you want a bit of shooting axes and MoS are good options too.

Dogs do 90% of what MH do much cheaper and nearly as well so for me they're more about filling out core requirements...

Glabro
22-09-2009, 08:20
I don't think the hounds do anything simiilar to flail and MoK horsemen. Them being fast cavalry effectively diminishes the negative effects of Frenzy...

Avian
22-09-2009, 11:37
When the @$@# postal service gets me my third box of Horsemen I'll assemble them with both types of spears, shields and a musician, more for the variety and looks than anything else. My other two units have flails, light armour and a musician. Mark of Slaanesh on everything.

Unuhexium
22-09-2009, 15:06
I found that throwing axes are great fun. Just rush up the flank and marchblock stuff while chucking axes at the enemy. Marchblocking with horsemen and putting dogs in front of large expensive infantry blocks can be devastating. You can use around 100-120 pts to tie up MUCH more.

Witchblade
22-09-2009, 15:22
Clearly two best options:

Slaanesh, la, mus, flails, 5. Optional: throwing axes.

MoK, la, mus, flails, 6.

pointyteeth
22-09-2009, 18:19
I've always been using flails on my horsemen and I'm starting to come around to the idea of using throwing axes. So many times I'll be marchblocking a unit and think to myself, "boy would it be nice if I could do something other than just follow this unit up the battlefield". Throwing axes ftw!

zerachiel
23-09-2009, 04:15
I've always been an avid axe-guy, and have just recently started using Flails. A MoK is also an applicable mark of flail horsemen, as you can reform them however you like to negate the frenzy until you need to charge. If you put them in such a way that the only way they'll see your opponent's unit is when it moves into an area that you would want to charge anyway, then you'll be just fine.