PDA

View Full Version : Wraithbone Forest?

Thousandth Son
11-05-2005, 03:24
I seem to remember reading about a Wraithbone Forest, in which farseers would meet to commune with the infinity circuit. It is a vague memory, and I havent been able to find anything to support it, but maybe one of you folks knows something?

Yggdrasil
11-05-2005, 03:27
According to the 2nd edition Eldar Codex, Farseers would crystalize as they got older and be put in the Crystal Forest, where they would take root and grow wraithbone crystal. Since that's a little silly I think that now they just put Farseer's spirit stones there instead. Still grows trees.

Bmaxwell
11-05-2005, 11:35
true that is a little silly but instead of becomeing a tree possioblely melding with a tree there?

venusianfurs
11-05-2005, 13:47
I don't know, the crystal idea's pretty good in my view - nice n' pretty, too.
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but what about the other locations on craftworlds: the vaults of silence or something, the...hall of mirrors..the crazyslide, skee-ball, and the rest of it. What would those places be used for?

Delicious Soy
11-05-2005, 14:17
According to the 2nd edition Eldar Codex, Farseers would crystalize as they got older and be put in the Crystal Forest, where they would take root and grow wraithbone crystal. Since that's a little silly I think that now they just put Farseer's spirit stones there instead. Still grows trees. Thats not quite right. Farseers went into the Dome of Crystal seers where they could will their life away. Its not as if they had to hide ol' farseer Kerthu somewhere in the back after he turned to crystal in the latrines.

Soulstones all take root and form small trees, a result of being a psychometric crystal.

Bmaxwell
16-05-2005, 21:50
That makes more sense

He Who Laughs
17-05-2005, 01:38
And the fluff is still current. In an Oz WD around the time of the Eye of Terror campaign, the rules for Eldrad were printed, with a little story about Eldrad wandering through the Hidden Chamber in the centre of Ulthwe's Infinity Matrix - and had his thoughts about letting it all go and becoming crystalline (as he already had begun to do so). Lets face it, the Eldar are all drama students - in search of the ultimate "be a tree" moment... ;)

athamas
18-05-2005, 23:18
Remember wraithbone is partialy living, and grows and bends to the will of those with a psychic presence,

i like the idea of seers waling into the crystal dome and having the wraithbone slowly grow though them, allowing them to become one with the craftworld,

i thought there was a reference to the 'dome of the crystal seers' somewhere in recent fluff... i could be wrong, most of my books are at home!

Hellebore
19-05-2005, 09:22
That is actually the fluff reason behind farseers being toughness 4- they are slowly turning to wraithbone.

It just reflects the nature of the warp- farseers are SO powerful they channel so much warp energy that it eventually alters their bodies.

Wraithbone is afterall warp energy made solid.

hellebore

bigred
21-05-2005, 15:06
Here is the fluff from the original White Dwarf (#1??) that "created" the modern Eldar as we know them...

THE CRYSTAL SEERS

As Farseers grow older their close association with the life of their Craftworld begins to affect them - their psyches become inextricably linked to the Wraithbone core of the Craftworld and their physical bodies grow increasingly dormant. Eventually, a Farseer of great age will retreat to the Dome of Crystal Seers, a bio-dome many miles across where the Wraithbone core of the craft breaks through to the surface and forms a forest of Wraithbone trees. Once a Seer enters the Dome his body begins to crystallise and grow transparent, first affecting his lower body so that his upper torso still lives normally whilst his feet are rooted to the spot, then creeping upwards so that only his head is still flesh, finally turning him entirely to transparent crystal. Once this has happened the Farseer is part of the Craftworld his consciousness has flowed into the Wraithbone core where its will be preserved forever in the infinity Circuit. Other Eldar sometimes come to wander round the Dome of Crystal Seers to look upon the Seers of old whose forms are preserved forever amongst the changeless Wraithbone glades.

TheSonOfAbbadon
21-05-2005, 15:31
It sounds kinda silly, eventually there'll be no farseers left since the Eldar are too scared to reproduce. Then they'll be screwed.

grey_painter
21-05-2005, 16:14
Lets face it, the Eldar are all drama students - in search of the ultimate "be a tree" moment... ;)

Maybe its just a sign of exam stress and my general distain for art students, but I found that comment hilarious. Well done that man! :D

I don't think the Eldar are scared to reproduce, they just have sex on the mind as much as us mon-keign. Its an almost universal biological principle that the longer an organism lives the longer the gap between reproductive events. Since Eldar live for a hell of a long time that equals a hella long gap between reproductive events. Almost feel sorry for the damn art students now...

Rabid Bunny 666
21-05-2005, 17:58
hi-jack

hello!

the taking root idea is odd, but i like the idea of putting all the crystalised farseers in one place

TheSonOfAbbadon
21-05-2005, 18:22
I don't think the Eldar are scared to reproduce, they just have sex on the mind as much as us mon-keign. Its an almost universal biological principle that the longer an organism lives the longer the gap between reproductive events. Since Eldar live for a hell of a long time that equals a hella long gap between reproductive events. Almost feel sorry for the damn art students now...

Dude, they can have sex when they want, same as us humans.

And they ARE scared to have sex or to even think about it! Have you never heard of Slaanesh who continually haunts the Eldar raedy to devour their souls the oment the succumb to pleasure?!

Rabid Bunny 666
22-05-2005, 02:14
its no fun being an Eldar

grey_painter
22-05-2005, 11:21
Dude, they can have sex when they want, same as us humans.

And they ARE scared to have sex or to even think about it! Have you never heard of Slaanesh who continually haunts the Eldar raedy to devour their souls the oment the succumb to pleasure?!

I'm not saying there is a biological switch that only turns on once every 50 years to let the eldar have sex. They just think it sensible to wait till their child is an adult and doesn't need more parental care before reproducing again which can be a long time.

Slaanesh and the fall mean the eldar steer clear of all extremes of emotion but they don't let it stop them doing what needs to be done. They aren't going to stop having sex just stop or control the associated emotions linked to the act. Like battle, the eldar before the fall got a real kick out of the thrill of battle and superiority over other species. Now they have to control that battlelust and detach themselves from it by using the symbolism of the aspect mask. When the mask is removed so are the associated emotions of battle. Its likely they have a similar system (though perhaps masks are abit too kinky) to detach themselves during sex and only partake in sex for reproduction. Its not a fear of sex its a fear of letting themselves go to emotional extremes of any type.

susu.exp
22-05-2005, 12:49
Warning, potentially offensive content (and awful puns galore).

The fall of the Eldar was due to the intensity of the Eldar character and mind. Their heightened sensibilities offered an opportunity for intellectual and emotional gratification far beyond the sluggish human comprehension. It was uncontrolled self gratification which created the Chaos Power Slaanesh and which subsequently destroyed the old Eldar civilisation. The Eldar Path was envisaged as a way of allowing every Eldar to live within their full emotional and intellectual capacity in a safely controlled and progressive manner.

By concentrating on only one facet of their complex and overwhelming character at a time, the Eldar are free to explore that area in depth without dangers of distraction. As total awareness of each facet is achieved, the Eldar move to another, thus building a deeper understanding of the universe and their own capabilities.

One of these is the role of Warlock - Eldar who open up their psychic minds and learn to control the forces of the warp itself. One of the most demanding of all roles is that of Fornicatoror - the Fornicator Path as this facet is called. An Eldar who embarks upon the Fornicator Path chooses one of the many different Fornicator Aspects, each of which is characterised by a different school of sexual arts, distinctive body ornamentation, special toys and techniques.

The donning of the sex suit is an act of special significance because it symbolises the sharp division between the Eldar in normal life and the same Eldar as an Aspect Fornicator. It takes several hours to perform the ancient ceremonies designed to enable the Fornicator to put his own personality aside and adopt an Aspect of the Sex God.
Some Aspects are particular to certain Craftworlds (like the cheese fetish bulldogs of the Alatoic craftword), but the following six Aspects are common to almost all Craftworlds and account for the majority of Aspect Fornicators:

- Vanilla Bumblebees
- Sucking fruitflies
- Shaking Spears
- Fisting Emus
- Submissive Rendeers
- Latex Cows

Although Eldar accept that the Path of the Fornicator is an essential and natural part of their nature, the Aspect Fornicator still evokes extreme feelings of horror and repugnance which are hard for humans to fully understand. If ordinary Aspect Fornicators elicit such feelings, at least it is understood that they will one day enter another cycle and put aside the Fornicator's suit for the final time.

Not all Eldar manage to pass beyond the Path of the Fornicator. Some are unable to resist the passionate lure of sex and develop an unquenchable lust for fornication. They become trapped in the role they have chosen, unable to escape from the Aspects of the Sex God they represent. These Eldar are called Sexarchs. They are regarded with a disturbing mixture of awe and revulsion.

Sexarchs are held in awe because they single-mindedly pursue a side of their nature which most Eldar fear to even contemplate. On the other hand they are pitied because they have deserted the Eldar Path with its promise of new experience and constant development in favour of a life of fornication and sex. Perhaps, most horrifying of all to the Eldar mind, is the knowledge that every one of them holds the potential to become an Sexarch, to lose their way along the Eldar Path and become addicted to their own lust which only being an Sexarch can truly satisfy.

(Somewhat adapted from WD 127)

Rabid Bunny 666
22-05-2005, 12:54
swesome, i;d sig it, but it hooge!

Bmaxwell
22-05-2005, 15:51
that was slightly disturbeing but pretty funny

venusianfurs
23-05-2005, 13:15
Being serious for a second, with some heavy revision that could actually be a good idea, for fluff at least - there was a Path of the Sire suggestion sometime in Portent's previous incarnation, for explaining how Eldar could get together without tearing the craftworld open, but threads of this nature seem to fall into fisting gag traps. The Sexarch idea, as in ritual-lovers/temple harlot types who go bad would be good with a different name. And take out the latex cows, rubber-ball gowns armed with fisting-gag-traps or whatever.