PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Character Choices

Gimp
20-09-2009, 17:23
Picking ones Lords and Heroes is always difficult but recently I have been playing with Tomb King army builds and it seems extra hard to select characters for Tomb Kings.

With Tomb Kings one is torn between the need to boost ones units with Kings and Princes but also the desperate need for more magic. And lets not forget the Icon Bearer.

So at a 2250 points what do you take for your 4 Lord/Heroes slots?

Falkman
20-09-2009, 17:43
When I play Tomb Kings I usually run a King and three Priests, or a King, a Prince and two Priests.

lcfr
20-09-2009, 17:52
Picking ones Lords and Heroes is always difficult but recently I have been playing with Tomb King army builds and it seems extra hard to select characters for Tomb Kings.

With Tomb Kings one is torn between the need to boost ones units with Kings and Princes but also the desperate need for more magic.

Unfortunately I find that for TK to be most effective you need to take the maximum payload of characters, all more or less tooled up. At 2k I prefer a King and 3 priests to any other combination for a few simple reasons: 1) core chariots means I can field a very elite army 2) 3 priests w/or w/out a casket means there are plenty of chances to get important charges through 3) having a king means I can either add a killing machine or one-man tarpit to my army.

And lets not forget the Icon Bearer.

No, let's totally forget about him.

Ok, not totally...but it's really hard to justify 65pts for a Tomb Guard champion, especially when he's taking away a slot that could go to a Prince or Priest, both of which provide more incantation power and, in the prince's case, more hitting and staying power.

Gimp
20-09-2009, 18:27
No, let's totally forget about him.

Ok, not totally...but it's really hard to justify 65pts for a Tomb Guard champion, especially when he's taking away a slot that could go to a Prince or Priest, both of which provide more incantation power and, in the prince's case, more hitting and staying power.

I agree but there might be some poeple out there that like him. Mostly for themed lists or higher point games where you might have 1 or 2 hero slots to waste but not many points.

He is cheap for a character and does come with Killing Blow. Which when but in a unit with a Prince or King might make him useful in the accepting challenges from other unit champoin allowing for the King or Prince to trash the enemy unit.

King and 3 Priests seems to be the most common usage. But what about lets say?

1 High Priest, 1 Priest and 2 Princes

or

1 High Priest, 2 Priests and 1 Prince

zerachiel
20-09-2009, 18:58
I agree but there might be some poeple out there that like him. Mostly for themed lists or higher point games where you might have 1 or 2 hero slots to waste but not many points.

He is cheap for a character and does come with Killing Blow. Which when but in a unit with a Prince or King might make him useful in the accepting challenges from other unit champoin allowing for the King or Prince to trash the enemy unit.

King and 3 Priests seems to be the most common usage. But what about lets say?

1 High Priest, 1 Priest and 2 Princes

or

1 High Priest, 2 Priests and 1 Prince

The problem is that the Icon Bearer is still just 2 attacks at WS4. That makes him less than reliable when trying to get a Killing Blow, and with only Light Armour, he's very vulnerable to getting ripped apart, even by Empire Heroes. Besides, the only banner that I feel is important is the Icon of Rakaph for my Tomb Guard. The War Banner or Banner of the Undying Legion can both be put to use by Skeleton Warriors as well as Tomb Guard, so... I don't see much of a point to an Icon Bearer.

However, take note that I'm a novice at Tomb Kings, and most of this is based off theory and gut instinct that I acquired playing other armies, so apply a liberal coating of salt.

I'd go 2 Princes if you're playing with a High Priest, as I feel you do need to actually win combat, no matter how much magic's going through. The Princes can also contribute to your magic with My Will Be Done!, while the Liche Priests cannot meaningfully contribute to fighting. This hero set-up localizes your magic while spreading out your killing power, which is perhaps not as good as the other way around. Your Tomb King can bat aside opposing Heroes and even some Lords with no trouble, but your Princes will struggle. On the other hand, your Hierophant is already a big enough target, without making him your Lord too. I also prefer to spread out my magic, so I can spread out my army as well.

kyinpie
21-09-2009, 00:12
i'd recomend a king and 3 priests. i have been using the high priest, 2 priests and a prince recently and found my army to be tiny with limited punch.

icon bearer............ what a shame this is such a crap choice! over the years i have tried and tried to use him at 2000pts but its never worth it!!! only once have i used him and thought he was worth it. it was against brets, i took khalida, icon bearer with the standard of the sands and two priests. i believed he wouldn't have much anti magic so thought i should be fine. he took two lvl 1's with 3 dispell scrolls and the challice. i was happy with the result of the icon bearer, i triggered the banner in his turn one and had two units of 3 carrian around his units in the next turn. he didnt march all game. however this was a risky thing to do, which happened to pay off.

the only other time i would have an icon bearer is at 5000pts and above.

ky

zerachiel
21-09-2009, 00:40
i'd recomend a king and 3 priests. i have been using the high priest, 2 priests and a prince recently and found my army to be tiny with limited punch.

icon bearer............ what a shame this is such a crap choice! over the years i have tried and tried to use him at 2000pts but its never worth it!!! only once have i used him and thought he was worth it. it was against brets, i took khalida, icon bearer with the standard of the sands and two priests. i believed he wouldn't have much anti magic so thought i should be fine. he took two lvl 1's with 3 dispell scrolls and the challice. i was happy with the result of the icon bearer, i triggered the banner in his turn one and had two units of 3 carrian around his units in the next turn. he didnt march all game. however this was a risky thing to do, which happened to pay off.

the only other time i would have an icon bearer is at 5000pts and above.

ky

Unfortunately, the Banner of the Hidden Dead only works on Core choices, so that wouldn't have worked...

If it was just one unit, that'd be wonderful, but the 100 point restriction kills Chariots, which are what you'd really like to have on the flank...

lcfr
21-09-2009, 01:47
Unfortunately, the Banner of the Hidden Dead only works on Core choices, so that wouldn't have worked...

If it was just one unit, that'd be wonderful, but the 100 point restriction kills Chariots, which are what you'd really like to have on the flank...

I think there was a failure to communicate...

Standard of the Sands is the magic banner that prevents the enemy from marching for a turn; this is what kyinpie activated, after which he flew two units of Carrion behind the Brets to march block them in subsequent turns. I think that's what he was trying to say, although it does read a little like the carrion were called up by the banner..

zerachiel
21-09-2009, 02:29
I think there was a failure to communicate...

Standard of the Sands is the magic banner that prevents the enemy from marching for a turn; this is what kyinpie activated, after which he flew two units of Carrion behind the Brets to march block them in subsequent turns. I think that's what he was trying to say, although it does read a little like the carrion were called up by the banner..

Ah, oops. That was my mistake, then. I thought he was referring to the Banner of the Hidden Dead.

gdsora
21-09-2009, 03:14
I like magic Heavy lists and often run
HLP 2 priests and a Prince.

I take the King if i know i will be facing something that the DOE
can be useful for (Heros on mounts, Stegadons)

kyinpie
21-09-2009, 09:29
sorry folks, i didnt wright it very well! lol. lcfr has got it right though! :)

Enigmatik1
21-09-2009, 13:41
I'm partial to LHP/TPx2/LP. Just putting a High Liche Priest on the table puts you in good shape magically, especially if you aren't afraid to put your second Priest on a Casket (which I'm not). A pair of properly equipped Princes has enough hitting power to give the Tomb Guard and a Chariot unit quite a bit of staying power. This list tends to be smaller than usual for Tomb King lists, despite being an Undead army, TK lists are small anyway because most of our units are too expensive for what they do. But that's my fault, because I have no faith in Skeletons to do anything but lose combats and crumble into dust, so almost always go minimum core.

The main draw for taking a King is core Chariots, obviously. This now means that I can take Chariot units instead of crappy Skeletons. YAY! However, I feel if you don't have characters in the units, Chariots units are meh. Still better than Skeletons but not that much better. Toss a TP or TK into the unit, and it's game on. Given the devastating, yet unreliable nature of all or our rare choices, we get the most use out of our special ones...and they're all very good. Removing Chariots from this part of this list is huge...but you have to give up any hope of magical superiority to do it. Whether that's worth it or not is up to each individual player.