PDA

View Full Version : Restarting VC PLEASE HELP!

iluvatar18
20-09-2009, 23:30
Vampire
Master of the Black Arts
Tomb Blade
Black Periapt

Vampire
Master of the Black Arts
Blood Drinker

Necromancer
Sceptre de Noirot

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

Skeletons w/ Full Command

19 Crypt Ghouls w/ Ghast

Corpse Cart w/ Unholy Lodestone

972 TOTAL

That's 9 Power Dice, 2 Bound Spells, 5 Dispel Dice. Plan is for necro to raise dead every turn and have vamps pump them up with invocation. Any advice? Just remember I want to keep it very, VERY magic heavy. And any ideas on how to use the last 28 points?

And can a vamp have two swords? Like a biting blade AND tomb blade for example? (since he has two hands)

CthulhuDalek
21-09-2009, 02:18
I don't think a model can have two of the same type of magic item.

Also, I'm not sure but maybe give your vampires the "summon" abilities, or any of the ghoul-centric abilities?

+1 to cast for ghouls, skellies, or dire wolves -- all of which you're using.

iluvatar18
21-09-2009, 03:13
The thing is with the 50 point limit vamps have on abilities, Master of the Black Arts takes all the points...

I really wish I could take those

CthulhuDalek
21-09-2009, 08:30
Just take the ability that lets you go up one power level then? Then take the Lord of the "blah" ability.

You'll have less power dice, but your black periapt will save those for other turns.

slayerofmen
21-09-2009, 10:30
cthulhudalek has it right it 1000pts you are better off with the summoning powers and lvl 2 vamp. you bust out less dice but you can A)use more and b) uses them easier.

put the necromancer on the corpse cart take the musco out of the skeletons waste of points. you are either going to win or loose with PTS if you must use a necromancer maybe give him the extra spell ability. that means youll have 7 DP 5 DD and 2 bounds.

also your general lacks any kind of protection

iluvatar18
22-09-2009, 00:40
NEW LIST as per suggestions above, thanks! And keep it up please.

Vampire
Master of the Black Arts
Tomb Blade
Black Periapt

Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Summon Ghouls
Blood Drinker

Necromancer
Corpse Cart
Balefire
Sceptre de Noirot

19 Skeleton Warriors w/ Standard

19 Crypt Ghouls w/ Ghast

10 Zombies w/ Standard

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

TOTAL: 1003

So why can't Vampires take light armour or heavy armour and stuff? Why does it all have to be special? And does a corpse cart cost less with a necro on it? Cause it should.

slayerofmen
22-09-2009, 08:51
i have to say they are still mighty unprotected vampires you have there one good whack and its game over, and at this level with those vampires it'll happen very quickly.

also dont buy your zombies raise them and if you have to buy them never give them a standard that's almost always free VP for your opponent, especially with that size unit.

and i do believe the idea behind the vampires getting gear like they did was to help define what kind of vmapire they are and also to make it so you can't over load on other vamp powers.

The Clairvoyant
22-09-2009, 13:44
just a couple of points.

firstly zombies have a minimum unit size of 20. And there's no point in giving them a standard bearer as the other guy said. Its just easy VPs for your opponent.

Secondly, you only have one vampire with a summon spell (ghouls) whilst your general, although he has +2 power dice, he can't raise anything above starting strength apart from those zombies.

It might be better to focus on one core troop type for such low pts games i.e skellies or ghouls and give all vampires the relevant summon power.

For your general, i'd go for dark acolyte and summon skellies/ghouls (your choice), flayed hauberk for the 2+ save and tomb blade (if you really want to summon more skellies with your vamp in combat).

As you intend to raise the army with magic, you can afford to keep the unit strengths down slightly (knock a rank off of each) which will help pay for other units/upgrades.

These are of course just my views. Hopefully someone with more experience of this points level will chip in.

hwd
22-09-2009, 13:55
Personally I would drop the skeletons as they aren't that good imo. I would Go for 2 units of 15 ghoul, each with a ghast. Combine this with 2 vampires with dark acolyte and summon ghoul. Keep the corpse cart in; use this first to get units up to their starting strength each turn and then add with the vampires.
This will provide quite a tough army centre that the 2 Vamps should have no problems regenerating...

I use 2 units of dire wolves and to be honest they are a little useless! They can re-direct charges but can't be used like normal fast cav as they can't run away...

You don't seem to have a big hitter in there but at 1000 points it is difficult! There might be enough room if you drop the corpse cart and wolves?

Anyway those are just my suggestions, feel free to ignore me!

zeekill
22-09-2009, 22:35
I use 2 units of dire wolves and to be honest they are a little useless! They can re-direct charges but can't be used like normal fast cav as they can't run away...

So? what you do is just sacrifice the unit. Its not a big deal at all to throw away a 40 point unit to redirect and hit a 300 point unit in the flank and kill it. If all else fails, use them in conjunction with a Varghulf to kill a unit. Double flank charge, the Varghulf kills enough for the enemy not to be able to strike back, while the wolves take out their rank bonus. If you win the combat by lets say, 3. (You have 4 kills+flank, they have banner, outnumber) and they fail their Ld check, you have 2 units that roll 3D6 for pursuit.

iluvatar18
23-09-2009, 03:26
Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Lord of the Dead
Tomb Blade
Black Periapt

Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Summon Ghouls
Blood Drinker

Necromancer
Corpse Cart
Balefire
Sceptre de Noirot

19 Skeleton Warriors w/ Standard

19 Crypt Ghouls w/ Ghast

10 Dire Wolves (or 2 squads of 5)

Total 950

So I have 50 points to blow, what on now?
Is this list better? And should the wolves be 1 or 2 squads

EldarBishop
23-09-2009, 03:46
As already pointed out, your general needs to have some form of protection.

I also agree that in smaller games, it's best to focus on a single core troop type (either all ghouls or all skeletons) and take the relevent "master" power on all the vampires.

The wolves should be in two units.