PDA

View Full Version : Chariot heavy high elves, doable?

Tenken
20-09-2009, 23:55
I just had a thought browsing through codex books about making a chariot heavy army. After looking through most of the army books with chariot units I decided that a high elf chariot heavy army with light of white lion chariots might be fun.

I'm still kinda new to the game and before I go nuts buying new stuff I'd like to know if it's even a good idea. The white lion chariots seem pretty tough and I'd take the max number of those, and the white lion hero character on another chariot then probably MSU of spearmen or seaguard to hold the enemy down with, and probably eagles for rares just for harassment. Is this plan even worthwhile?

zeekill
21-09-2009, 01:03
Yea. Double Charge a unit with 2 Lion Chariots and theyre dead already. (3 chariots if its chaos mortal infantry blocks)

Condottiere
21-09-2009, 01:24
You could, especially if you know the terrain beforehand.

Chariots are really supporting units, and you'll want an additional unit to either provide kills during close combat, like Dragon Princes or Sword Masters, static combat resolution, like Spears or Phoenix Guard.

Lion Chariots are expensive, but their six attacks strength 5 does guarantee that you don't have to rely too much on impact; Tiranoc Chariots are a slight gamble, but therefore cheaper.

Axis
21-09-2009, 01:57
I don't know how good it would be. Lion chariots are only T4 with a 4+ save. It doesn't take much to kill them. That said, they can demolish a lot of stuff. I suspect any chariot heavy army will do really well against some things but terrible against a lot of other stuff.

The problem is its terrible against anything with half decent missiles. It also will struggle against cav since they have the mobility to get out of charge arcs.. and also can potentially get the jump on chariots...

The SkaerKrow
21-09-2009, 17:33
If you're new to the game then I wouldn't suggest trying such an atypical army just yet. It can be viable, but would be difficult to play in any competitive fashion and, as with any one-dimensional army, would be extremely match-up dependent.

What I might do instead is start a traditional High Elven force (if you're interested in the rest of the army, that is) in order to get more familiarity with the game of Warhammer itself. As your experience grows, you can begin building towards your Chariot army if it still interests you once you're more comfortable with the game.

willowdark
21-09-2009, 18:16
2 Chariots of either kind should be more than enough. 1 Chariot alone is more of a gamble since neither is very resilient. If you want chariots at all, I'd take 2, any more or less and you really start loosing the synergy that you'd normally be looking for with Chariots.

That being said, i can see the potential in a 3rd chariot, since you could assign 2 as a team to double charge and leave the other to support something else. But you have to pay attention to points. At ~2250 you need meat to thicken your lines, whether it be infantry to hold the lines or cavalry to assault. And your characters are expensive too. Generally, if you want Eagles you loose out on RBTs, so HE shooting can be limited in effectiveness. Most people use Mages to offset that, but that's when the points get really tight.

At best, I could imagine 2 Tyrinoc Chariots and 1 Lion being effective for the points, with the Lion working as support and the Tyrinocs teaming up.

Massed Chariots works for Beasts because their troops are cheap enough, as well as the chariots, that they can beef up the line without sacrificing on either level. High Elves don't have that luxury. everything in the list is expensive, and you need to keep that in mind when you're building your lists.

Minigiant
21-09-2009, 21:56
IMHO i would have thought tomb kings the way forward for chariot army

Tenken
22-09-2009, 02:29
I have no real interest in a high elf list outside something gimmicky like this chariot heavy force to be honest. I'm starting off with lizardmen and was just looking at a few things for a potential second army.

Condottiere
22-09-2009, 08:35
Let's not forget that characters can take Tiranoc Chariots, which means if you can flank an enemy unit, the US5 removes any rank bonus.

Korhil is fairly awesome when taking the Lion Chariot.

PeG
22-09-2009, 08:42
If you go all out for chariots it is likely to be a bit hit/miss scenario. Against some armies they will run through anything against others that either have lots of high S attacks or are fast enough to stay out of trouble you will have more problems.
The same goes for terrain, on an open board chariots are great while at a board with lots of woods/difficult terrain they can become completely useless.

Seabo
22-09-2009, 12:23
I have never had the pleasure or misfortune :D of facing mutiple Lion Chariots...
In theory they look uber powerful but suffer from the HE creampuff toughness at a rather steep price....at least they get T4. Also no scythed wheels...what? Are Helves to civilized or something?
BoC chariots are da bomb :D at 85pts they are a steal. I usually take 2-3 at 2000pts. Btw..they get scythes :D

King_Pash
23-09-2009, 10:52
After reconsidering Korhil on chariot, i've decided to give him a try. For 270 you get a model that does D6 S5 impact hits+5 S5 hits+3 S6 Killing Blow attacks, plus Korhil will have 3+ Armour and 3+ against shooting PLUS it's stubborn 9. Well worth it I think.

The only thing I am unsure about is the Woodsmen rule. White Lions and characters in their unit can move through woods. The chariot doesn't have this rule but Korhil does. Does this mean the chariot can move through terrain? Humm...

King_Pash
23-09-2009, 11:07
After re-reading the chariot entry it turns out Korhil would have a 2+ save in the chariot. Nice!

Seabo
23-09-2009, 11:15
2+ save?
Not sure how you get that...
As for the chariot moving through trees?
Not goin to happen. No way you could maneuver it around the trees. Whole reason why terrain is a deathtrap for all chariots. They are just basically a point and shred unit :D

Condottiere
23-09-2009, 11:20
Sure, a Chariot can enter a forest, whether it exits unscathed, or even at all, is another matter. Korhil probably has to go in front and navigate through the forest on foot.

isidril93
23-09-2009, 17:44
hmm...you can always take a prince on tir char, dragon mage, korhil on char
2 units of spearmen
3 l ch and 3 t char
though i doubt it will fit into 2 k

King_Pash
23-09-2009, 23:08
Korhil's armour (4+) + mounted on chariot (+2) = 2+ save.

Badders
23-09-2009, 23:12
i would take 3 heros that are good in combat and then porberbly 1 lvl 3 with 5 scrolls as magic defence. find a nice corner for him and then you have magic defence. XD