PDA

View Full Version : Pearls Amongst the Sand: Choiciest Tomb Kings Choices?

zerachiel
21-09-2009, 00:24
Hi all, a question for all the Tomb Kings veterans out there (I know you're out there! Don't you hide from me!):

As an aspiring Tomb Kings general, I really have no clue how the army and it's selections work! Thankfully, with some experience in Vampire Counts, I've got the gist of the Undead and can make some preliminary assessments (ie. blind guesses) at the strength of the Tomb Kings' units. Unfortunately, I have no idea if I'm right or not, with only a few games under my belt at low points levels. So, I'd like all you vets and long-time Tomb Kings players out there to critique my opinions on the book and its units, if you've got the time. Who doesn't like fostering another TK player (I mean, all you other armies can have one more person to beat up with regularity!)?

Here's what I think of the book so far:

Tomb King: Looks strongest in my books. Flammable will be a pain, but fire is surprisingly hard to come by for a lot of army books (at least in a way that specifically targets my King), so I should be fine. Sticking him on a Chariot with Flail of Skulls seem to be the best option, but as I think King Phar is a poopyhead I will strive not to emulate that crazy man unless I must. Spear of Antarhak and Armour of the Ages look like a nice combination, though I'll have to see. I really want to field this guy on foot with the Destroyer of Eternities, as he can use the Righteous Smiting incantation to smack people left, right and center.

Liche High Priest: The guy cannot fight his way out of a wet paper bag, and that makes him unattractive to me (his bad skin doesn't help). 3D6 incantations will make opponents cry in the magic phase, but Tomb Kings really needs someone who can hit people until they fall down, from my experience.

Tomb Prince: Lovely, lovely Hero with 3W and T5. Flammable, but that's situational. Can go on a Chariot to beat stuff up, or go with Tomb Guards to beat stuff up. I like him.

Icon Bearer: Ew.

Lich Priest: As many as I can squeeze in. These guys look like they'll be great fun. The Hierophant gets Cloak of the Dunes to escape when needed, while Hieratic Jar seems popular. I don't know how strong Staff of Ravening is, though, as the S2 looks rather... Pedestrian.

Casket of Souls: Really want to use this, really cool idea, but... Is it worth the 165 points?

Skeleton Warriors: Never going to win combat unless fighting against Zombies. A Tarpit unit at best, and sacrificial charge re-directors if nothing else. Being a long-time Vampire Counts player, my gut instinct is to take at least one block of 25 with Spears, Light Armor and Command... But I don't know how well they'd do, for a 300 point unit. I am planning on having at least two units of 10 with Bows, though, as the Asp Arrows rule is very attractive.

Skeleton Light Horsemen: Looks handy, as they can tag along with my Chariots and pepper people with arrows. Also looks absolutely useless at anything but dying and shooting, though.

Tomb Swarm: Looks terrible, even for a tarpit. They'll likely lose combat badly and get wiped by resolution to a ranked up unit, so the only thing I can imagine them being good at is slowing down hugely powerful, but few in number units like Knights and huge beasties... Which they probably will never catch.

Skeleton Heavy Horsemen: Looks like they could work as flankers, but as a Hammer unit I'd rather take Chariots. Anyone can do much with these guys? They look so cool with their spears and whatnot...

Chariots: Hawt. Looks fragile for Chariots, but what were you expecting for only 40 points? I'm looking to at least one unit of it flying either a War Banner or Banner of the Undying Legion, 4 strong, 3 wide. Likely to stick a Prince or even a King in here.

Tomb Guard: Feels like Grave Guard, except with suckier armor. That still makes the solid in my books, and I think a unit of 20 with Command and Icon of Rakaph will sneak into most of my army lists. Should I field them 6 wide?

Ushabti: So very beautiful, but... Feels really flimsy with T4 and only a 5+ save. Do look like better versions of Ironguts, but that's not hard to do.

Carrion: Neat march-blockers and war machine gobblers, will use 3 whenever possible. Do I need more than 3?

Tomb Scorpion: Looks really, really awesome. I am curious as to how effective they are with "It Came from Below", as opposed to deploying normally and scaring the crap out of everyone as it scuttles towards them.

Screaming Skull Catapult: Awesome. All I need to do is brush up my trigonometry, and we're set.

Bone Giant: Looks so much nicer than a regular giant but... How is it? Anyone used it to much effect? With 3+ AS it looks sturdier against small-arms fire, and with 5 Attacks at S6, it looks like it can maul most line-infantry. You can even heal it.

Those are my initial impressions, will make a 1000 point army list soon for your critiquing pleasure, please give me your opinions on what is good and what is not. I didn't cover magic items because no one wants to read so much, but do tell me what you think are good.

Zujara
21-09-2009, 02:04
Tomb King: Looks strongest in my books. Flammable will be a pain, but fire is surprisingly hard to come by for a lot of army books (at least in a way that specifically targets my King), so I should be fine. Sticking him on a Chariot with Flail of Skulls seem to be the best option, but as I think King Phar is a poopyhead I will strive not to emulate that crazy man unless I must. Spear of Antarhak and Armour of the Ages look like a nice combination, though I'll have to see. I really want to field this guy on foot with the Destroyer of Eternities, as he can use the Righteous Smiting incantation to smack people left, right and center.
Look like good builds for the Tomb King, personally I love the Destroy of Eternities and Collar of Shapesh for mine.

Liche High Priest: The guy cannot fight his way out of a wet paper bag, and that makes him unattractive to me (his bad skin doesn't help). 3D6 incantations will make opponents cry in the magic phase, but Tomb Kings really needs someone who can hit people until they fall down, from my experience.
He's usable in 2000 points but I prefer him in 3000, since the King adds a lot of punch. Some people Use High Priest, 2 Priests and Tomb Prince with success, depends on style.

Tomb Prince: Lovely, lovely Hero with 3W and T5. Flammable, but that's situational. Can go on a Chariot to beat stuff up, or go with Tomb Guards to beat stuff up. I like him.
Princes are excellent, I usually put mine in a chariot with the flail of skulls. Very good stats for a hero slot.

Icon Bearer: Ew.
Agreed

Lich Priest: As many as I can squeeze in. These guys look like they'll be great fun. The Hierophant gets Cloak of the Dunes to escape when needed, while Hieratic Jar seems popular. I don't know how strong Staff of Ravening is, though, as the S2 looks rather... Pedestrian.
Staff of Ravening is more to try to draw out dispel dice than to do actual damage, you can do just fine without it if you prefer. Cloak of the Dunes is almost a must for the Hierophant unless you are quite clever with a skeletal steed.

Casket of Souls: Really want to use this, really cool idea, but... Is it worth the 165 points?
I use a Casket most the time, it scares people a lot by the potential damage and they will usually save 2-3 dice to try to stop it letting more incantations through. Sort of the same deal as the Staff of Ravening, but the Casket is more destructive.

Skeleton Warriors: Never going to win combat unless fighting against Zombies. A Tarpit unit at best, and sacrificial charge re-directors if nothing else. Being a long-time Vampire Counts player, my gut instinct is to take at least one block of 25 with Spears, Light Armor and Command... But I don't know how well they'd do, for a 300 point unit. I am planning on having at least two units of 10 with Bows, though, as the Asp Arrows rule is very attractive.
If you take a Casket or Catapults, then Archers are great to sit in the back with them to try to protect them. You can also use Archers in a similar role to Warriors with having a wide front and shooting while you advance then reform when you get close. I like my combat skeletons with Hand Weapon and Shield, but thats just preference. Also asp arrows make Waywatchers cry!

Skeleton Light Horsemen: Looks handy, as they can tag along with my Chariots and pepper people with arrows. Also looks absolutely useless at anything but dying and shooting, though.
Used them a couple times, they never seemed to perform well. Usually end up inflicting minimal casualties or dying, and they are harder to raise than Skeletons.

Tomb Swarm: Looks terrible, even for a tarpit. They'll likely lose combat badly and get wiped by resolution to a ranked up unit, so the only thing I can imagine them being good at is slowing down hugely powerful, but few in number units like Knights and huge beasties... Which they probably will never catch.
Tomb Swarms are alright, use them in a similar role as Scorpions with It Came From Below and try to pick off war machines and small weak units. I use 2 in a unit, they can handle most war machine crew.

Skeleton Heavy Horsemen: Looks like they could work as flankers, but as a Hammer unit I'd rather take Chariots. Anyone can do much with these guys? They look so cool with their spears and whatnot...
I find them to be worse than Chariots due to the lack of impact hits, and considering 3 of them is more points than 1 Chariot your points are better spent elsewhere.

Chariots: Hawt. Looks fragile for Chariots, but what were you expecting for only 40 points? I'm looking to at least one unit of it flying either a War Banner or Banner of the Undying Legion, 4 strong, 3 wide. Likely to stick a Prince or even a King in here.
I absolutely love Chariots, though I play with less of them these days due to a lot of my opponents having several things with S7. 3 Chariots with a character or 3-4 without are good sized units, any bigger gets unwieldly.

Tomb Guard: Feels like Grave Guard, except with suckier armor. That still makes the solid in my books, and I think a unit of 20 with Command and Icon of Rakaph will sneak into most of my army lists. Should I field them 6 wide?
Tomb Guard are excellent with the Icon, really catches people offguard thinking they have you outmaneuvered. 23 of them joined by a Tomb King with Destroyer of Eternities fielded 6 wide can do a ton of damage to most things.

Ushabti: So very beautiful, but... Feels really flimsy with T4 and only a 5+ save. Do look like better versions of Ironguts, but that's not hard to do.
I use Ushabti because I love their miniatures, and if they do hit something they hurt it a lot. I don't feel that they are an awful choice, but you have to really pick your fights with them.

Carrion: Neat march-blockers and war machine gobblers, will use 3 whenever possible. Do I need more than 3?
3 is a good number for them for war machine hunting and march blocking, though they are only US1 so you would need 5 if you wanted to position them to destroy fleeing enemies.

Tomb Scorpion: Looks really, really awesome. I am curious as to how effective they are with "It Came from Below", as opposed to deploying normally and scaring the crap out of everyone as it scuttles towards them.
These guys are amazing, and great stats for so cheap. It Came From Below can screw up sometimes, but most the time it will put you in position to take out either war machine crew, a wizard or another fragile character and easily earn back its cost.

Screaming Skull Catapult: Awesome. All I need to do is brush up my trigonometry, and we're set.
Yes these are awesome, Skulls of the Foe is almost mandatory against most opponents minus those immune to panicking. Take as many of them as you can in my opinion.

Bone Giant: Looks so much nicer than a regular giant but... How is it? Anyone used it to much effect? With 3+ AS it looks sturdier against small-arms fire, and with 5 Attacks at S6, it looks like it can maul most line-infantry. You can even heal it.
Personally I am not too impressed with the Bone Giant, he only has WS 3 so his Unstoppable Assault won't amount to too much. I am sure you could make him work if you wanted to, he does cause Terror and that's never a bad thing. I just find the cheaper catapults yield better results for a rare choice.

lcfr
21-09-2009, 03:04
I'm a noob to TK as well and still getting used to their playstyle; I find that they are a really, really 'different' army. I'll give a rundown of my list since the combo of units and playstyle incorporated in it is the only experience I have w/TK...I have 3 other armies so I save my TK only for 2k games and no lower points levels.

I run a king w/3 priests, casket, 1x scorpion, 5x carrion, 2 units of 3x chariots, 10x archers, and 2 (yes 2!) units of 18/19 tomb guard. What would make me really happy is if this list could magically include a catapult and a few more TG per unit w/out exceeding 2k, but alas...

Because of the lower numbers of my TG units (they're not quite sponge-sized) I run them 6 wide; they're the only unit imo that fulfills the dual purpose of being both a sponge and a hammer, so running them 6 wide seems legitimate enough since they can dish out and take more pain than skellies. One unit has the Icon and one the Banner of the Undying Legion...unless I absolutely have to activate the Banner having two units of TG really keeps the enemy guessing which one has the Icon.

Opponents don't let the Casket's Light of Death happen much...but if your enemy is saving DD to stop it and in exchange you're getting more incantations through then it's worth it! -1 to cast to enemy spellcasters is also a great effect...

I run my King w/Scorpion Armour, Spear of Antarhak, and Cloak of Dunes rather than w/a DoE...since my army is pretty small and I can't afford a 'full-time' tarpit unit I figured I'd make my king act as one. He can still provide some punch w/Lord stats n all.

My King, Scorpion, and Carrion slow the enemy advance, cause havoc behind their lines, and harass weaker units and disrupt the advance so that my chariots can find an opening and punch through or so that my chariot/TG combos on either flank have time to manuever into position. 10 skelly archers w/the extra-shooting incant from the casket priest (this guy doesn't really have anything better to do) can also be a real pain to some opponents...I'd love to see what even more would be capable of. I haven't played a game where I've been forced to advance on the enemy yet, so against aggressive armies the combination of units in my army do pretty well...I don't know how well aggressive TK can fare, since they're just so slow!

Ultimately I think it's the incantation system that really lets TK shine...if you play very carefully and w/a plan you can scrape by but having an overwhelming amount of always successful spells is what lands the victories imo. Once you've decided what combo of characters you'll be taking you just need to decide what tools you'll need to eke out the wins...

sulla
21-09-2009, 07:46
If you're allowed special characters, Khalida is nice. not broken, but she really improves those lackluster archers and she's no slouch in combat herself. Not chaos level mind you, but still decent enough.