PDA

View Full Version : would an all mounted chaos warrior army be viable at 1000 pts?

dwarfhold13
21-09-2009, 05:15
looking at getting into warriors on the cheap, and i thought a bunch of 22 dollar boxes would be the way to go..
i saw that all mounted khornate army the guy from poland did here and got the idea.. i already own a shaggoth and a couple of foot mounted chaos characters.. well its archaon on foot and the harry the hammerer models but still.
what do you think?
roughly what i've got is this as rough models in the army:
hero on juggernaught
2 x5 hound units
2 x5 marauder horsemen
1 unit of knights x5 or 6
shaggoth or giant
feel free to change it up.. but i'm just shooting for 1000 pts for now as i've got A LOT of other armies already

Witchblade
21-09-2009, 11:37
2 units of knights, horsemen and hounds and you're set.

HughbertofKhorne
21-09-2009, 14:07
nah 1 unit of Knights and 1 unit of Dragon Ogres.
leave the knights with Ensorcelled weapons, give them a standard a musician and make them a bunker for the Hero (dont bother with a knight champion its too many points and not a lot of benefit)

take a unit of 3 Dragon with great weapons for monster killing (you probably wont encounter too much that the knights cant deal with at 1000pts but the option is always nice and they're cheaper than knights too)

PeG
21-09-2009, 14:27
I wouldnt leave home without at least a scrollcaddy at 1k but of course he can be mounted and go with either knights or more likely horsemen.

HughbertofKhorne
21-09-2009, 17:42
yeah I wouldn't put him in with the knights he'd be too fragile, plus the idea of mounting him is to have mobile spell casting, the knights should be charging headlong into combat (preferably on the flanks and then looping round to get some tasty flank charges on the enemies centre) While the Dragon Ogres do the same thing on the other side of the oponents army ;-)

lcfr
21-09-2009, 18:18
Sure, why not?

When I planned out my WoC army and decided to do an all-cav force I only made purchases that would get me to my 2k list and allow me to do variant lists at lower points levels...so, in effect, my 1k and 1.5k lists are just mini-versions of the 2k. Seems perfectly viable so far...

Drachen_Jager
21-09-2009, 18:20
I don't think scrolls are really necessary at 1k, I also think two units of knights would give most opponents a really tough time at 1k, there's not much at that level that can deal with Chaos Knights. Khorne is a good mark (IMO) and always take units of 6, don't bother with champions and consider carefully the pros/cons of banners and musicians, they're expensive! If you do take banners a warbanner can be a good option.

willowdark
21-09-2009, 18:25
I tend to think the Banner of Wrath is a good choice for knights. Bound Spell powerlevel 4, right? Puts opponents into a tough position. dispel it and use up resources needed to defend against your sorcerers, or let it go and give your knights a ranged threat against those weak redirectors that they depend on so much to deal with you.

Just thought I'd mention that since we're talking about banners. In general, all mounted always works for Chaos. On all levels.

Kalec
21-09-2009, 18:47
Scroll caddy on a barded steed, 3 units of chaos knights with a musician each, 2 units of horsemen, and some hounds will be plenty. Maybe throw in a spawn.

PeG
21-09-2009, 19:28
My frequent opponents at 1k include HE, Daemons, TK with three casters, skaven with three casters etc so if I want to live until I can hit the enemies I need magic defence. Unfortunately for WoC this means either a scroll caddy or several casters to get dispel dice. In a different playing environment it might not be necessary.

Drachen_Jager
21-09-2009, 20:10
I tend to think the Banner of Wrath is a good choice for knights. Bound Spell powerlevel 4, right? Puts opponents into a tough position. dispel it and use up resources needed to defend against your sorcerers, or let it go and give your knights a ranged threat against those weak redirectors that they depend on so much to deal with you.

He didn't list any sorcerers.

willowdark
21-09-2009, 21:56
True, but he did say to feel free to change it up.

I only brought it up since you mentioned good banner choices for knights. In truth I did assume that sorcerers would be there, but at 1k even a single level 2 would be effective in combination with the banner, and 2 lvl2's would be that much stronger.

It would be a waste with only a scroll caddy, however.

Drachen_Jager
21-09-2009, 22:32
Problem is for WoC by the time you get two mounted Lvl 2s you're approaching half your points right there, you need some troops!

zerachiel
22-09-2009, 02:28
Problem is for WoC by the time you get two mounted Lvl 2s you're approaching half your points right there, you need some troops!

Truth, at 1000 points, I'd just suggest barebones Exalted Heroes. You're a cavalry army, you'll be in combat by turn 3 the latest, you won't take or get off a lot of magic before the LOS obscuring close combats start. A butt-naked Exalted Hero on a horse with the Mark of Khorne can maul just about anything Hero level, no problem. One in each unit of Knights and you're golden, should you have two Knight units.

dwarfhold13
22-09-2009, 06:35
Truth, at 1000 points, I'd just suggest barebones Exalted Heroes. You're a cavalry army, you'll be in combat by turn 3 the latest, you won't take or get off a lot of magic before the LOS obscuring close combats start. A butt-naked Exalted Hero on a horse with the Mark of Khorne can maul just about anything Hero level, no problem. One in each unit of Knights and you're golden, should you have two Knight units.

thanks everyone for their input!
this is exactly what i was thinking.. at 1000 points, there are two things that are effective.. lots of shooting and anything more than a level 2 in the army..
unfortunately being the warriors of chaos, nothing comes cheap.. and bringing a level 2 to this army is a lot of points. like you said, because you are in the face of the enemy before turn 3 in most cases, magic may be something that you just have to let him try.. it's just hard to fit other stuff in the list!
what about marks on the units? do you think they are worth it at this level? nurgle for the hard to hit aspect?