PDA

View Full Version : Declare or keep secret?

jthdotcom
21-09-2009, 16:39
What do you do? Every game I play, my opponents always ask, when deciding whether or not to challenge my hero, or cast a spell on a particular unit, "What have they got?" Do you tell your opponent or let them find out the hard way?

Generally as a rule I only divulge to the other player what I deem that they would know if they were actually the general, on the battlefield, looking at me as my actual general on the field. If in reality (lol) you wouldn't be able to tell, why should I tell you?

Does this make me mean? What do you all do in these situations?

burad
21-09-2009, 16:53
You are correct. You are obliged to tell them what they could see.

Dr. Acula
21-09-2009, 16:54
Nope - it means you're playing by the rules. There wouldn't be a point in some items if they knew what your character was carrying.

Unuhexium
21-09-2009, 16:59
I also tell my opponent what he's likely to see and what is WYSIWYG; weapons for units and generic types of armour for heroes (an Axe of Khorne doesn't have to actually be an axe).

Opponent: "What does that guy have?"
Me: "Some kind of plate armour, a weapon and a shield."

Count Zero
21-09-2009, 17:01
What does my DE lord have, well lets see.... he's got a Pendant round his neck for starters :)

in seriousness the people i play with normally don't say till you find out till your committed toi an action.

Keller
21-09-2009, 17:11
Before the game starts, we always give a rundown of all of our units and characters, but don't really reveal anything that is extra.

We go through units, identifying what they are armed with, just incase it the models could be used for various things. (IE - Grave Guard w/ hw/s, not greatweapons)

We point out what models are our characters, and what type of equipment they have, but don't reveal any magic items which we are not obliged to. EX: Empire captain w/ halberd and plate, Empire Priest w/ weapon, shield and heavy armor (but has Sword of might, not yet revealed.)

Since we are a pretty tight-nit group, most players can guess what all there is anyway, but its always fun to get a few surprises in there.

O&G'sRule
21-09-2009, 17:14
I certainly don't tell people what magic items I've got before hand, though I know a few that do so I decide then whether to tell them not to tell me, or if I'm going to tell them mine. I do insist on the characters being easily distinguishable on the army list though as to what theyve got, I don't like people deciding "oh that hero's got that item" half way through a battle just because it would be convenient. I don't want to kill a wizard only to find out miraculously he had no scrolls, but the other one has 4 unless it says that on his armylist and is clearly that model.
I actually had a guy expect me to tell him how many fanatics I had once, not going to happen

The Red Scourge
21-09-2009, 17:34
We only tell what upgrades units have e.g. command, weaponry, shields etc.

What models are characters and what character choice they are, anything else will wait till its relevant, including what lores and spells wizards have - we don't cheat :)

Desert Rain
21-09-2009, 17:51
We do the same as most others do. You tell the opponent that you're character has a weapon a shield and some sort of armour. He won't know exactly what equipment a character has until it comes into play. For most units it's pretty obvious what they are equipped with.

Falkman
21-09-2009, 21:24
anything else will wait till its relevant, including what lores and spells wizards have
You mean you roll your spells in secret?

Tokamak
21-09-2009, 22:45
Only magic items and stuff like assasins and fanatics should be revealed when you want to. Everything else should be open.

However, a model carrying a shield should be clearly be wearing a shield, or carry the right weapon (two handed/two hand weapons etc), enchanted or not.

Condottiere
21-09-2009, 23:04
You reveal what's obvious, weapons, armour, command, etcetera. The rest is a surprise, which you get to find out out soon enough once you manage to attack that character. Or during the shooting and magic phases.

perplexiti
21-09-2009, 23:08
We play with secret magic items, I think it's more fun that way. But I thought spells were supposed to be rolled for in the open, having them hidden would be too easy to abuse IMHO.

spetswalshe
21-09-2009, 23:20
So if Hero 1 has a Sword of Stabbing, heavy armour and a shield, Hero Two has a hand weapon, Armour of Magic and a Super Shield, Hero Three has the Gentleman's Halberd and an Amulet of Excellence, Wizard One has a hand weapon and Dispel Scroll, and Wizard Two has a hand weapon and the Cloak of Exceptional Handiwork, what description do they get?

Hero 1 - hand weapon, armour, shield
Hero 2 - hand weapon, armour, shield
Hero 3 - halberd
Wizard 1 - hand weapon
Wizard 2 - hand weapon

would be my description. Or would you say 'Wizard Two is wearing a cloak, while Wizard One is clutching a scroll of parchment, and Hero Three has fine taste in medallions'?

Crazy Harborc
21-09-2009, 23:44
Normally/usually/almost always.......general information....shield, what the weapon(s) to be used is/are, etc, etc. Magic toys, special weapons, armour, whatever I tell when the effects are going to happen...now.;)

Condottiere
21-09-2009, 23:50
We play with secret magic items, I think it's more fun that way. But I thought spells were supposed to be rolled for in the open, having them hidden would be too easy to abuse IMHO.They are rolled for openly.

Lusall
22-09-2009, 04:15
It certainly doesn't make you mean, given that -not- telling your oponent what particular magic items your characters are carrying is part of the rules.
Don't be a jerk about it when they ask, that's about all you can do. (Within the spirit of the rules)

That's my take on it.

starlight
22-09-2009, 04:27
It doesn't matter as long as you agree beforehand. :)

Most people I know reveal as things are discovered/used. :)

Leogun_91
22-09-2009, 06:22
I don't like people deciding "oh that hero's got that item" half way through a battle just because it would be convenient. I don't want to kill a wizard only to find out miraculously he had no scrolls, but the other one has 4 unless it says that on his armylist and is clearly that model.When someone uses a scroll I always ask wich wizard uses it (unless he state so himself) to avoid that.

So if Hero 1 has a Sword of Stabbing, heavy armour and a shield, Hero Two has a hand weapon, Armour of Magic and a Super Shield, Hero Three has the Gentleman's Halberd and an Amulet of Excellence, Wizard One has a hand weapon and Dispel Scroll, and Wizard Two has a hand weapon and the Cloak of Exceptional Handiwork, what description do they get?

Hero 1 - hand weapon, armour, shield
Hero 2 - hand weapon, armour, shield
Hero 3 - halberd
Wizard 1 - hand weapon
Wizard 2 - hand weapon

would be my description. Or would you say 'Wizard Two is wearing a cloak, while Wizard One is clutching a scroll of parchment, and Hero Three has fine taste in medallions'?Yes but in such cases I always scribble down something that differs the models, my two ngoblin shamans are now commonly known as bok(book) and stav (staff) in my gaming circles (and I actually want stav to be named mushroom). So maybe that list could have beard written after Hero1 beacouse he has a beard and hat written after wizard2.

Ward.
22-09-2009, 07:08
Telling your opponent what your models are equipped with would be forfeiting the much desired tactical element of surprise, in fact there are times when I don't even tell my opponent what army I'm using.

Do those models represent skeletons or chaos warriors, only one way to find out I say.

Lusall
22-09-2009, 07:28
Telling your opponent what your models are equipped with would be forfeiting the much desired tactical element of surprise, in fact there are times when I don't even tell my opponent what army I'm using.

Do those models represent skeletons or chaos warriors, only one way to find out I say.

This. Though my oponent is usually well aware of my army. ;)
The best example of this is, when playing Orcs and Goblins and you have a regiment of Night Gobos...always keep your fanatic models off to the side. Even if they're not in the army. "Do you have fanatics in your army?"
"Maybe...you'll have to get close to see." Similar situation with Dark Elves and Skaven. Always have your assassin models handy.

Condottiere
22-09-2009, 07:42
Keeping assassin and fanatic models on the sideboard when not actually part of your list is a somewhat grey issue.

Leogun_91
22-09-2009, 07:46

Do those models represent skeletons or chaos warriors, only one way to find out I say.I would not allow that though........it is impossible to make a functional tactic if I donīt know whenever the nightgoblin archers are dwarf thunderers or chaoswarriors, each is dealt with in completely different ways, proxying is playable only when the oponent tells what the characters are, If I met that army I would quickly rewrite my armylist in the most cryptic way possible not writing pts or upgrades but clues instead.

Occulto
22-09-2009, 08:20

Considering they use different base sizes, I'd expect to find out by checking whether the models were on 20mm or 25mm. :eyebrows:

Falkman
22-09-2009, 08:59
None of you actually realised he was sarcastic? I'm guessing he plays with open lists and ridicules us for not doing so?

Leogun_91
22-09-2009, 09:21
None of you actually realised he was sarcastic? Actually no......Iīm quite stupid at times.

Ward.
22-09-2009, 09:30
None of you actually realised he was sarcastic? I'm guessing he plays with open lists and ridicules us for not doing so?

You got me :angel:

I'm actually one of the biggest proponents of closed lists, but someone has to go the extra mile for a laugh.

Condottiere
22-09-2009, 09:32
As I'm sure it's been previously pointed out, various armies have items to identify hidden units or items, which implies that they're are meant to be kept hidden until used.

Zarroc
22-09-2009, 10:19
Well i dont tell the people i play what items my guys are equip with, wait until there commited and cant pull out of an attack and that, then i will reveal them, if my blood drinker is restoring wounds to my vampire or unit, they have the right to know

With spells, i expect to know whats being cast before the dice are rolled, so i know when there cheating or not, for example trying to cast a high lvl spell, failing and saying the cast that low lvl magic missile..................

Chief Librarian Zypher
22-09-2009, 16:38
i agree with most. when i do a game, i am under the impression tht every unit in my enemies army is not carrying a grimoire of all of my magic items, so no i don't tell them unless its tournament required.

Lordsaradain
22-09-2009, 18:17
Never give away magic items untill you use them. Reveal everything else (barring hidden assassins and other "secret" stuff). Vampiric powers, gifts of chaos etc are not secret.

Hehehe. Good one! ;)

Midevil216
22-09-2009, 19:07
If you are refering to magic items and such, I don't tell my opponent what they have until were fighting each other. Thats why they have some items that reveal items in units (Because your not supposed to just tell them).

Anyway, I think it's funner to find out the hard way.

ogretyrant
22-09-2009, 20:42
Never give away magic items untill you use them. Reveal everything else (barring hidden assassins and other "secret" stuff). Vampiric powers, gifts of chaos etc are not secret.

Hehehe. Good one! ;)

I wasnt aware that you had to reveal what Vampiric powers you had to untill you had to?

I mean you could not look over the battle field and say to your mate, hay does that vampire look like its got a bit more hatred in it then the last vampire we met that I could of sworn looked liked he had an affinity for ghouls or something but there was not a ghoul in sight?:p

Lucas7336
23-09-2009, 00:55
I'm pretty surprised about the results of this thread. Any game I've ever played we have swapped army lists beforehand.

23-09-2009, 01:03
"what does your hero have?"
"only one way to find out :D"

it ruins the fun

you can look at my list all you want after the game. but thats half the fun

artisturn
23-09-2009, 06:00
When it comes to troops I declare the usual,type of weapons if there is a command group but I never reveal if I have a magic standard until it is relevant.
As for characters general description as well, level ,what type of weapon and where they are placed but anything magical is kept secret till the relevant moment.

Plus we role for our spells in open in the group I play with.

Batu
23-09-2009, 21:32
So what about the Lizardmen Magic Item: Bane Head.
This magic item state "Nominate an enemy character at the start of the battle." Does this mean you write down the character nominated or tell the opponent which character is nominated?

As far as magic items, we do not reveal anything that could not be seen from across the battlefield. We do not reveal how many scrolls etc. either.

Crazy Harborc
23-09-2009, 23:42
Having a written/printed roster is required around my group. No reason to reveal magic details until they are used. We do ask.....but do not really expect an answer.

SlaaneshSlave
24-09-2009, 01:05
"Pink guys on foot have the mark of slaanesh, harberds, shields, & full command"

"Warlocks come with 1 warpstone token, but I can buy more"

"I rolled warp lightning, the frenzy spell, skitterleap, & plaque (not plague)"

mdauben
24-09-2009, 22:01
In my gaming basic unit types, weapons, armor, and characters are listed up front (for example "these are Ogre Bulls with two hand weapons, there is a musician in the unit but no standard or champion"). Magic items, vampiric powers and any such upgrades you chose when building your list are kept secret until their use reveals them. Things that you have to roll for like spells must be done at the table in front of your opponent. Keeping spells secret until they are used can add to the excitment of the game, but secret rolling allows too much temptation for cheating.

Lordsaradain
25-09-2009, 16:15
Magic items have rules that allow you to keep them secrets. Vampiric powers and such have no such rules, keeping them secret is like keeping mundane equipment on characters secret.