PDA

View Full Version : ork tribe/clan querry

trolly
22-09-2009, 01:48
hi,

i'm a bit confuse here about ork structure.
is it inside ork tribe there is ork clan?
or
every clan is stand on its own?
thenx in advance guys

cheers,
:D

cyenwulf
22-09-2009, 02:13
An Ork Tribe/Settlement/Warband etc. will usually be comprised of orks who follow the same klan. I.e. A deathskulls warband or snakebite tribe. However this does not mean that there will not be a mix of klanz in a settlement, although one will usually be the predominant one (generally that of the warboss/leader).

Argastes
22-09-2009, 02:14
Clans--Bad Moon, Goff, etc.--are like ethnic groups within the overall Orkoid race, whereas tribes are groups of Orks who are from a particular planet or part of a planet, or even a single settlement, and have a common leader. In other words, clans are groupings based on shared traits, while tribes are (much smaller) groupings based on geographical location and shared leadership. Tribes are meaningful units of organization, whereas clans are not. A given tribe may be made up exclusively of Orks of a given clan, or may include Orks from multiple different clans. Each clan is represented, to some degree, in Ork populations all across the galaxy (there do seem to be some Ork populations where clan identification is minimal, though).

Drongol
22-09-2009, 03:28
Okay, I'm going to go into way too much detail here, so let me start with the tl;dr version:

Tribes are basically where you are. Clans are what you are.

Now, that's ridiculously oversimplified, so here goes. A tribe is a group of Orks somewhere above mob sized, with a shared leader. A typical 40k army is pretty indicative of a tribe, in my thoughts, albeit a small one. Tribes can be a few dozen Orks to a few hundred thousand. Think of a tribe as sort of like a feudal duchy, or a city in general. An Ork's tribe is largely dictated by where they were spawned, and it's fairly rare for multiple Ork tribes to coexist barring conquest and/or a Waaagh.

Ork Clans, however, are an often overemphasized facet of Kultur. Some Tribes might be mono-Clan, but it seems that multi-Clan tribes are far more common, and it's even likely that several mobs have members from different Clans in them. Some Orks might go through their entire existence ignorant of the Clans.

A Clan has more to do with the Ork's caste, or what they do. Goffs are the biggest, meanest fighters, Evil Suns are the motorheads, and so forth. It seems the Brain Boys developed the Clans for cooperation, but most people (myself included) seem to prefer the aesthetics of a mono- or limited-Clan tribe. They're kinda pretty, after all.

Then, on top of Clan and Tribe, you have the Kults. The most common is the Kult of Speed, but there are others. An Ork's Kult, if he chooses to have one, encompasses his most cherished ideal, but is not necessarily indicative of his genetic predisposition, so to speak.

Basically, when a Warboss kicks your Nob inna fork and you start working for the Warboss, you're part of his tribe, but you crawl out of the ground as part of a Clan. You may not ever learn that you're a part of that Clan, but you'll find that you happen to be pretty good at, for example, raising Squigs. Then, one day you see a gigantic dakkacannon and you fall in love, becoming one of the Kult of Dakka.

Hope this helps.

Lothlanathorian
22-09-2009, 05:26
The long version is about as spot on, I think, as you can be.

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 08:33
This may be off, but the Kults (the Kult of spped, certainly - I'm not sure about any others or even if there are any others) are basically the troublemakers that got kicked out of the tribe. Evil Sunz are predisposed to liking fast buggies and wagons, but generally they like all sorts of Orky things - betting on the squig fights, shooting at Space Marines, fighting, etc. Occasionally an ork just gets obsessed with fast vehicles to the exclusion of all else, and when they cause too much trouble - crashing into the Warboss' prize battlewqagon, for example, or running over the champion squig - he gets booted out. He'll usually end up with a load of other likeminded troublemakers who roam around offering their services as freebooterz to Warlords. They're pretty popular as freebooterz, because their vehicles are well-maintained (for Orks), well-armed and best of all, they often go racing off into the distance after the enemy, and never stop to collect their pay!

Drongol
22-09-2009, 11:42
This may be off, but the Kults (the Kult of spped, certainly - I'm not sure about any others or even if there are any others) are basically the troublemakers that got kicked out of the tribe.

There are actually quite a few Kults, although it's only the Kult of Speed that ever gets any spotlight time whatsoever and just so happens to be far more common than any other Kult (not throwing chapter & verse out there just yet--too early for that!). It's entirely possible for a Kult of Speed to encompass an entire tribe, or for the Kult to coexist with the rest of the tribe, but yes, Speed Freeks are likely to get their leathery green backsides kicked out.

I suppose the ultimate decider there would be the inclinations of the Warboss. If he's all about living fast and dying young, then he's going to be far more tolerant of his bikeboy buddies, and so on.

Kults that I've heard mention of are the Kult of Speed (obviously), the Kult of Dakka, and the Kult of Stomp. Plus, stormboyz can be considered a Kult as well, albeit a temporary one for most Orks.

madd0ct0r
23-09-2009, 20:01
Kult Of Stomp presumably being similar to the Orkamedies Gargant Bigmob army in EPIC?

The Flyboyz and Mad Bommaz presumably reach Kult Status too.

Are there any Kults not reliant on Mech Boys though?

Argastes
23-09-2009, 20:29
Hmmm, the ultra-traditionalists (primarily Snakebites) who ride boars, shun technology, etc. might be considered a Kult, though I'm not sure what to call them.

Lothlanathorian
24-09-2009, 20:32
Hmmm, the ultra-traditionalists (primarily Snakebites) who ride boars, shun technology, etc. might be considered a Kult, though I'm not sure what to call them.

I call them Republicans.

pookie
25-09-2009, 13:00
Kults are almost like a sub culture within a Clan are they not?

eg: Evil Suns - Speed Freeks, the Evil Suns being the most typical type Boy who likes fast things, betting etc, but the Kult of Speed is the obbsessed ones.

so in theory, you could get a Kult from each of the Main Clans, what they would referr themselves as, well im not sure.

Argastes
25-09-2009, 14:48
Not really... a given Kult isn't necessarily made up entirely of members of a given clan, so they can't necessarily be viewed as subcultures within clans. They can cut across clans and include orks from multiple different clans. Obviously in some cases, orks from a certain clan will make up a majority of a Kult's membership, as is the case with Evil Sunz and the Kult of Speed; most KOS members are Evil Sunz, since Evil Sunz are genetically much more predisposed towards being speed freaks than are orks from other clans, but not EVERY member of the KOS is from the Evil Sunz clan because an ork from any clan can become obsessed with fast buggies and bikes. Other Kults, such as the Kult of Stomp, might be include a more even mix of orks from different clans. I can see the Kult of Stomp attracting Bad Moonz, Goofs, Evil Sunz, and Death Skullz with almost equal facility.

Bottom line, though, Kults include members from multiple different clans, but some clans do predominate in certain Kults.

pookie
25-09-2009, 14:51
Not really... a given Kult isn't necessarily made up entirely of members of a given clan, so they can't necessarily be viewed as subcultures within clans. They can cut across clans and include orks from multiple different clans. Obviously in some cases, orks from a certain clan will make up a majority of a Kult's membership, as is the case with Evil Sunz and the Kult of Speed; most KOS members are Evil Sunz, since Evil Sunz are genetically much more predisposed towards being speed freaks than are orks from other clans, but not EVERY member of the KOS is from the Evil Sunz clan because an ork from any clan can become obsessed with fast buggies and bikes. Other Kults, such as the Kult of Stomp, might be include a more even mix of orks from different clans. I can see the Kult of Stomp attracting Bad Moonz, Goofs, Evil Sunz, and Death Skullz with almost equal facility.

Bottom line, though, Kults include members from multiple different clans, but some clans do predominate in certain Kults.

ah yes, that does make sence.

Lothlanathorian
26-09-2009, 07:33
ah yes, that does make sence.

He does that. It scares me.

What I am wondering now is what some of the other Kults might be like. We all know the Kults of Speed and Stomp, but what about Dakka or Shooty (they are two very different things to the Orks lolol)? What would a group of Ork gunheads be like when taken that far?

And I really can't picture there being a Kult of Kommando, but saying it makes me like win and awesome.

Argastes
26-09-2009, 15:52
Some Flash Gitz might be adherents of the Kult of Dakka, since they have always been described as being fairly into their big kustom shootas (there are probably Kult of Dakka members who get even more into it than the average flash git, though). I would imagine that the Kult of Dakka would tend to attract more Bad Moonz than any other klan (although it's probably not as dominated by Bad Moonz as the KOS is by Evil Sunz). The Bad Moonz do have more money than other Orks and tend to like spending it on flashy, impressive wargear.