PDA

View Full Version : LOTR scale vs WFB scale and using LOTR in WFB

Smacksaw5000
22-09-2009, 02:01
I know this has been asked before; sorry.

How does the size of LOTR models compare to WFB. I know the scale of LOTR is slightly smaller, but is it that noticeable?

Does anyone have a side by side picture for comparison?

Have there been any changes which would now allow LOTR figures to be used in WFB armies; I believe this was previously not allowed?

Thanks in advance!

Master Stark
22-09-2009, 06:45
Just use LotR figures to play LotR! It's a superior game.

Condottiere
22-09-2009, 06:51
Have the LotR figures wear mittens.

It's rather like Michaelangelo's David, Warhammer figures are out of proportion, but at a distance, look better.

Griefbringer
22-09-2009, 07:26
Have there been any changes which would now allow LOTR figures to be used in WFB armies; I believe this was previously not allowed?

This restriction was only for GW stores and offficial GW tournaments, and has AFAIK now been removed.

Outside GW stores you are allowed to use any figures you want, anyway.

mrtn
22-09-2009, 08:51
Have the LotR figures wear mittens.

Or, on other words, they're about the same height, but the warhammer figures usually have bigger hands, weapons and other details.

I know people use Army of the Dead as spirit hosts for good effect.

Tokamak
22-09-2009, 09:33
They're not the same height at all. LOTR are substantially smaller than Warhammer models.

Desert Rain
22-09-2009, 17:40
Lotr models are noticeably smaller than the warhammer ones. In all the ways, so I think that it would look a bit strange with lotr models in a warhammer unit.

mrtn
23-09-2009, 08:27
I don't know why people perpetuate the myth that there's a vast difference? :wtf:
They're about the same height, but LotR heads, hands, weapons and feet are slightly thinner.
Picture proof (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/WH-lotr-comparison.jpg). :rolleyes:

kris.sherriff
23-09-2009, 08:41
They are both in 28mm scale it's just that WHFB and 40K use heroic scaling.

Kris

Nathangonmad
23-09-2009, 11:59
I use lotr army of the dead models as my spirit hosts.

gorenut
23-09-2009, 15:35
I've also noticed a lot of the more recent LOTR models have gotten slightly bigger in scale.. perhaps GW's way of getting a lil extra profit from WHFB conversions?

mdauben
23-09-2009, 17:36
I've also noticed a lot of the more recent LOTR models have gotten slightly bigger in scale.. perhaps GW's way of getting a lil extra profit from WHFB conversions?
I think it had a lot to do with the licence that GW had with New Line Cinema to do the game. IIRC, New Line had to approve the original figures which reprented characters and creatures in the movies. Perhaps because of this, all the figures based on the movies are in fairly "realistic" proportions.

The GW LOTR figures started to drift away from those "realistic" proportions when they started doing non-movie figures (and believe me there was a lot of on-line bitching from hard-core LOTR fans when they started producing "cartoonish" or "warhammer-style" figures for their game). :rolleyes:

There was also supposedly a stipulation in thier licence for LOTR requiring them to keep the LOTR line totally separate from their other products, which was allegedly why the ban on using LOTR figures in WHFB armies used to exist.

Batu
23-09-2009, 20:59
I was always under the impression that WFB mini was 28mm while the LOTR mini was a true 25mm.

Rykion
23-09-2009, 21:06
I was always under the impression that WFB mini was 28mm while the LOTR mini was a true 25mm.
LotR is true 28mm. WFB is heroic 28mm, so tends to be closer to 30mm with exaggerated heads, hands, feet, waists, and weapons.

Rioghan Murchadha
28-09-2009, 03:58
The only time it looks off is if you mix the two lines in the same units, and to a lesser extent, the same army. LotR figs look weedy next to Warhammer figs due to being much closer to proper proportions.

That said, my entire WFB army, and Warhammer: Ancient Battles army, are composed entirely of LotR models and they look great.