PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Dragon - Yay or Nay

Phonox
22-09-2009, 04:51
Hey all =D

In the process of figuring out how I want to head with my VC army, and the choice of the Zombie Dragon came up.

While I'm keen to include one, it seems to cope a bit of flack from several parties and I've been advised not to blow that many points, but I keep being drawn back to it =P

My question is thus -
Is he worth it?
If taken, would you be better off having a few other units to assist in drawing the fire, like a unit of Blood Knights and Wraiths?
Anyone have any stories on successes or losses?

Cheers =D

zerachiel
22-09-2009, 06:55
If he didn't take a Hero slot too... I'd play him in a fluffy list. As generally you'd want a Lord who can dish out some pain to ride him, so you're dependent on your Heroes to stay with the battle-line and spam IoN and Danse... But now you've one less Hero.

I'd say wait for 3000, as 2000 points you're spending enough on your characters without a Dragon too. You don't want to end up being outnumbered by Warriors of Chaos or something. That'd be bad.

Maoriboy007
22-09-2009, 08:22
The only reason to take a zombie dragon is if you particularly want to field a lord on a dragon or if having a flying monster suits your particular style of play. Otherwise he isn't really value for points (in comparison to other flying monster mounts), and is probably the worst dragon in the game.

Notable Lows:
Only 5 Toughness
5+ scaly skin save
PAthetic Breath weapon

Mullitron
22-09-2009, 09:47
The only reason to take a zombie dragon is if you particularly want to field a lord on a dragon or if having a flying monster suits your particular style of play. Otherwise he isn't really value for points (in comparison to other flying monster mounts), and is probably the worst dragon in the game.

Notable Lows:
Only 5 Toughness
5+ scaly skin save
PAthetic Breath weapon

Yeah but it can also move in the magic phase and be healed quite easily. Its not that bad. Its a very aggresive option for a lord thats normal used to support the rest of the army and who you defininetly dont want to be killed. However it can fly around causing terror and hitting enemy flanks helping your other units win combats easier. Its not the best option for a vampire lord but its not exactly a bad choice either. If you like the idear and model i would go for it. Probably want some fast elements in the army to put some pressure on anything that may threaten it and assign your other vampires to casting/raising roles to try and make up for the fact your lord will be charging in killing things instead of helping raise legions.I would suggest blood drinker, flayed hauberk and book of arkhan to help the lord and the dragon survive whilst getting it into combat quicker.

Witchblade
22-09-2009, 09:59
It's pretty nasty with hatred and red fury. I'd say it's worth its points, but VC can do things with their slots that are worth more than their points.

Maoriboy007
22-09-2009, 21:27
Yeah but it can also move in the magic phase and be healed quite easily. Its not that bad. Its a very aggresive option for a lord thats normal used to support the rest of the army and who you defininetly dont want to be killed. However it can fly around causing terror and hitting enemy flanks helping your other units win combats easier. Its not the best option for a vampire lord but its not exactly a bad choice either. If you like the idear and model i would go for it. Probably want some fast elements in the army to put some pressure on anything that may threaten it and assign your other vampires to casting/raising roles to try and make up for the fact your lord will be charging in killing things instead of helping raise legions.I would suggest blood drinker, flayed hauberk and book of arkhan to help the lord and the dragon survive whilst getting it into combat quicker.

Moving in the magic phase, its a nice bonus if you can get it off, but hardly vital for a flying model. Healed easily, not so much. 50/50 chance of one dice givig you back a wound that you only took because the dragon was so soft in the first place. Like, I said, if it suits your style of play or you want to play a dragon, but dont expect it to be as good as another dragon of equal cost.

Malorian
22-09-2009, 21:31
Moving in the magic phase, its a nice bonus if you can get it off, but hardly vital for a flying model. Healed easily, not so much. 50/50 chance of one dice givig you back a wound that you only took because the dragon was so soft in the first place. Like, I said, if it suits your style of play or you want to play a dragon, but dont expect it to be as good as another dragon of equal cost.

Give the lord flying the zombie dragon the book, then fly to the flank of a unit and vanhel into it (and/or use regular vanhels). This can start a domino effect that can collapse the opponent's entire line.

Also give him the blooddrinker and heal up any wounds.

Can be very powerful against the right opponent.

However I would not use this in most regular games as I see way too many warmachines for it to be worth it.

shartmatau
22-09-2009, 22:50
I've played against a vamp on zombie dragon and it is a pretty good. It stats are lowerer than most dragons but in combat most things hit it on a 5. With vanhels and a suitably powerful combat lord it can wreck units.

Its a gamble though. Any army that can easily deal with dragons will easily deal with your dragon. Its that simple. A dragons a dragon when it comes to warmachines.

It's definitely not the best option, as another casting vampire will help your army more. But a guy on a dragon is not a bad option. and yes if you take it, make sure to have other things that will draw attention or be able to block line of sight on your dragon (like woods!).

pcgamer72
23-09-2009, 05:30
There's something about putting the backbone of my entire army on a large target that puts me off this option. Sure it could be fluffy for your build and if it's a really soft environment then it might be okay, but I still don't like the fact that the most important character in any army is just waiting to be picked off.

Oberon
23-09-2009, 10:04
It helps, when you don't build a normal regiment after regiment horde, but take only minimal cores and fill the points with vargulfs and knights and bats+wolves. Fast, hits hard, and has ~4 units that threaten to charge right away->lots of pressure to enemy shooting.

seraphius
23-09-2009, 21:25
I run the following "big hitters" in my VC 2250 army(with comp here i get restricted to 2100 but still get them all)

-vc lord on dragon
-blood knights
-3wraiths + banshee
-black knights OR GG

I have mixed results all depending on what setupp i put on my lord.. but i usually go Fury,avatar,walking death and magic gear is balefire spike,flayed hauberk,vamb of gold and book of archan.

i found that running a ZD requires you to learn how to move and protect you dragon and most of all to bide your time.. don`t strike just because you can.. strike when you should and otherwhise keep him saf and out of missilefire..(dragon dies a bit to easy)