PDA

View Full Version : how many marauders is too much????

skarsniktheunclean
22-09-2009, 10:33
Im playing a mono nurgle list and kinda want it to be marauder heavy,so what i want to know is how many is the ideal number of marauders in a unit,i want 1 big unit of around 3o,mainly because i want festus in the unit,but is this too much????

cheers
matt

Sirroelivan
22-09-2009, 10:47
I personally wouldn't go above 25 (to provide some spare casualties to keep your rank bonus a bit longer), since, as it stands, marauders are already on big bases, so such a unit would be more unwieldy. Also, there isn't much benefit in adding those extra five marauders to the unit.

Avian
22-09-2009, 11:06
I have two units of 10 and I'm currently assembling a unit of 25. I think those are both reasonable sizes and I don't think I would go higher than that.

Mafuna
22-09-2009, 20:12
I usually use marauders in a size of 20.

I dont like bringing much more, mostly since I am not that big a fan of the massive infantry blocks.

PeG
22-09-2009, 20:51
I havent played them in large units but with skaven 25-30 are usually good numbers for clan rats etc. This gives you full rank bonuses and outnumber, add standard+ musician and you are good to go. As others have pointed out they are on larger bases which can be an argument for keeping them at 25. If you go down to 20 you will lose outnumber against many other infantry units and also very little shooting/magic will make you loose rank bonuses as well.

Arguleon-veq
22-09-2009, 22:06
24 With Flails for 4x6 or 25 with LA and Shields for 5x5. Slaanesh and FC on both.

E-Dog
22-09-2009, 22:11
I like my units 20 to 25 strong

Einholt
22-09-2009, 22:13
Not to hi-jack your thread or anything I personally use 25 and find it is a nice static CR block to anchor my chosen or warrior Active Cr blocks, but i have a question for Avian that I figure links to this topic nicely. How exactly do you use your 2 blocks of 10 marauders gear/mark wise and tactically and how effective are they.

Sirroelivan
23-09-2009, 00:22
Not to hi-jack your thread or anything I personally use 25 and find it is a nice static CR block to anchor my chosen or warrior Active Cr blocks, but i have a question for Avian that I figure links to this topic nicely. How exactly do you use your 2 blocks of 10 marauders gear/mark wise and tactically and how effective are they.

Flails or great weapons, possibly a mark of slaanesh. Handy for claiming table quarters, a bit of screening, and still can put out decent damage. (I'd use em for accompanying regular blocks and doing flank charges.)

nzdarkelf
23-09-2009, 00:41
A block of 30 six wide, instead of a block of 25, will only cost an extra 20pts or 25 with Great Weapons or Flails, which is nearly nothing. Are you giving them Marks? MoK, Full Command, 6 wide with Great Weapons = 13 Str5 Attacks which can be pretty nasty. Add in a probable startin Combat Res of 5. For 200pts you have a pretty usefull unit that can take a bit of missile damage and can still be boosted by characters for combat.

Axis
23-09-2009, 01:17
I wouldnt go further back than 5 ranks. So if 5 wide, take 25.

zerachiel
23-09-2009, 01:46
I'm a fan of units of 10 with Flails and nothing else. Plugs in the gaps in your line nicely so fast cav cannot slip through, and can threaten a lot of really fragile but mobile stuff, as they can stay behind your front line just waiting to charge something that tries to sneak behind you.

In large blocks I advocate 20 or 25, 6-wide, with Flails. If you're using Festus, then perhaps Great Weapons would work better, as they have some survivability with their Regen.

Avian
23-09-2009, 06:37
Flails or great weapons, possibly a mark of slaanesh. Handy for claiming table quarters, a bit of screening, and still can put out decent damage. (I'd use em for accompanying regular blocks and doing flank charges.)
That's pretty much what I use them for as well, except I can't recall ever doing flank charges with them. They have gotten shot at an awful lot, though. More than anything else, they are a more resilient and slower unit of warhounds which is harder to shift and gives the impression of being able to fight (once they lost combat to a unit of skirmishing skinks, broke and got run down).

All in all, they have not done particularly great, which is why I'm going to try out a bigger block instead in my next tournament list and see how that goes.