PDA

View Full Version : Darad Harngile and the Cult of the Starchild

Damage,Inc.
22-09-2009, 10:02
The other day I was browsing through US WD 207 and happened upon a scenario where the Salamanders Space Marines were fighting against a Star Cult lead by Darad Harngile on Levlinor IV. This reminded me of a tidbit in the back of the third edition BBB where an Inquisitor was reporting on the destruction of such a cult on the same planet.

So I am wondering, after Google-fu failed me, has there ever been any updated material on this cult, character, or event?

I am considering making a Harngile model to lead my IG armies when I need to play as "not-the-good-guy" for scenarios and campaigns. A nice looking conversion kitted out to the max would make a suitable Harngile, perhaps using an Inquisitor Lord stats.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew anything else about this little piece of fluff?

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 10:13
The Cult of the Star Child is mostly described in Realms Of Chaos: The Lost And The Damned - its goal is to allow the Emperor to be freed from his material body and to awaken as a true god of Humanity. It's often led by the Emperor's own immortal offspring. Things is, no-one else in the Imperial governemt believes them, hence being set about by the Inquisition and the Salamanders. I think everything else since 2nd edition has just been throwaway lines for colour. Not everything needs explaining.

Damage,Inc.
22-09-2009, 10:33
Not everything needs explaining.

At the rate Black Library's been kicking out books and retconning older fluff, it's tough to say if maybe somehow hadn't written more on thei subject.

Urza
22-09-2009, 14:40
AFAIK there hasn't been anything added to the 'Starchild Cult' storyline since the story in the back of 40K 3rd Edition. GW purposely created that story as a tongue-in-cheek way of putting an end to the Starchild idea.

"Unforgiven"
22-09-2009, 21:14
Try reading the inquisition wars trilogy arbout Jaq Draco.

There is a lot of info on the starchild.

Burnthem
22-09-2009, 21:17

If only everybody had this attitude this forum would be a happier place ;)

ashc
22-09-2009, 21:35

I won't accept this answer until its full reference has been cited.

:D

spetswalshe
22-09-2009, 21:55

Dude, if I asked a question and someone came back with 'this doesn't need explaining', I would be a bit confused. Although the lack of current Star Child background is what makes it good.

Star Child cult stuff is awesome. One of the few second-rate background pieces that they've actually managed to integrate pretty well into the current timeline. I'd love to see a themed Guard army. It'd make a great change from the normal Chaos/Genestealer Cult Guard you see about.

Burnthem
22-09-2009, 22:01
Dude, if I asked a question and someone came back with 'this doesn't need explaining', I would be a bit confused.

I was merely pointing out that there are many threads on here that try to pick holes into, and apply mass generalisation to, every single part of the background, much of which has been deliberately left as a mystery and for which there is simply no answer.

This thread isn't one of those, i was just agreeing with what AndrewGPaul was saying "Dude".

AndrewGPaul
22-09-2009, 23:19
Actually, it's not the nitpicking per se that gets me, it's the relentless stream of "I can't find anything on Google; what can you tell me about x?" threads. If the default assumption was that if you can't find anything, there's nothing to be found, my misanthropic little heart would beat easier. :)

LexxBomb
23-09-2009, 03:06
what I like about the Sensei, Illuminati and the Starchild theories are that they seem to be the ONLY plots that have no involvement or being started by the C'Tans... every thing else seems to have been retconned into involving the War in Heaven but the above stuff seems to be C'tan free. I wonder how long until the the C'tan virus infects this bit of the background info.

DarkMatter2
23-09-2009, 03:13

It is funny because it is true.

Damage,Inc.
23-09-2009, 06:29
I was merely pointing out that there are many threads on here that try to pick holes into, and apply mass generalisation to, every single part of the background, much of which has been deliberately left as a mystery and for which there is simply no answer.

This thread isn't one of those, i was just agreeing with what AndrewGPaul was saying "Dude".

That's what happens when there is a finite amount of information to discuss and thousands of viewers daily, adding new content and ideas all the time. Of course we will see thesame threads over and over, of course people will pick into the darker secret areas of background- if this didn't happen thenthis forum woulbe dead, with the only discussion about the most recent releases in background changes. That wouldn't be much fun would it?

Like the earlier thread that was shut down, about Space Marines attacking the US. That thread was closed due to pointlessness, yet without threads like that these forums would grow very stal very fast.

So, what is the solution? To cripe about ow there's nothing new uner the sun and hold the search function as the right hand of God, or to join in once in a while and have fun?

Damage,Inc.
23-09-2009, 06:31
Try reading the inquisition wars trilogy arbout Jaq Draco.

There is a lot of info on the starchild.

I do own and have read those books, and must say that until the last one, I liked the series very much.

My query wasn't so much about the Sensei or Starchildbut about this particular cult, this particular named character, and the events of Levilnor IV.

JHZ
23-09-2009, 11:55
Explain yourself, sir!

Terror of the East
23-09-2009, 14:30
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1320032_Thorian_Sourcebook.pdf

heres a link to thorian information from GWs site, got stuff on the reincarnation of the emperor and other tasty fluff :)

spetswalshe
23-09-2009, 14:31

I was about to agree with you and explain that the quote was meant in jest until that last line. I honestly think it's hard to come across as condescending via the written word so well done.

Brother Siccarius
23-09-2009, 19:48

If everyone had this attitude, we wouldn't have a forum, much less a background forum.

Burnthem
24-09-2009, 10:14
I was about to agree with you and explain that the quote was meant in jest until that last line. I honestly think it's hard to come across as condescending via the written word so well done.

I apologise, i actually thought your initial 'dude' was meant in a sarcastic manner, as that is the only context i hear it in in real life. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

If everyone had this attitude, we wouldn't have a forum, much less a background forum.

Not really, it's more the endless attempts at generalisation that i get bored with, the 'What does everyone in the Imperium eat/wear/drive' questions, plus the 'Who are the missing primarchs' etc etc that pop up every week.

There is plenty to discuss without retreading old ground that was deliberately left empty, or trying to apply mass answers to an Imperium of over a million inhabited worlds.

madprophet
25-09-2009, 01:22

Andy Chambers in the Designer's Notes of the 3rd Edition Hardback Rulebook - "It never pays to be too tidy with your backstory..." :p

madprophet
25-09-2009, 01:28
Not really, it's more the endless attempts at generalisation that i get bored with, the 'What does everyone in the Imperium eat/wear/drive' questions, plus the 'Who are the missing primarchs' etc etc that pop up every week.

Everyone in the Imperium drives Yugos - the cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian Technology - in the Grim Darkness of the Future there are only jalopies :D

Everyone in the Imperium wears hooded robes - check the artwork :cheese:

Everyone in the Imperium eats porridge - Andy Chambers said so in the first Chapter Approved :p

The Missing Primarchs are Chuck Norris and Ahnold Schwartzeneggar - nuff said! ;)

Condottiere
25-09-2009, 07:37
Actually, one of the two missing Primarchs turned out to be Yoda, that's why it was hushed up.

Wolfblade670
25-09-2009, 22:03
Actually, one of the two missing Primarchs turned out to be Yoda, that's why it was hushed up.

Ladies and Gentleman, we have the plot for the next C.S. Goto Deathwatch novel...

LexxBomb
26-09-2009, 01:21
hey blame abnett... he introdiced lightsabers into 40k through the Eisenhorn books.

JHZ
26-09-2009, 04:16
hey blame abnett... he introdiced lightsabers into 40k through the Eisenhorn books.
Blame God for letting there be light in the first place.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2009, 05:52

I'm not sure why but comments like this bother me more and more. This attitude toward the background of this game is like saying no one needs to know why Leman Russ is some important to the Imperium and Space Wolves, or that there needs to be no explaination of Blood Angles' Death Company because it just is, accept it.

The background forum used to be filled with people willing to discuss those threads built into the game, to explore and expand the known universe and to share the collective knowledge of fluff. Entire essays about ficticious characters and happenings were written to promote conversation and imaginings about the events, people, and places of the 41st millenia.

People like Kage2020 that didn't even play 40K would be more than willing to delve into deep discussions over the dark corners of the far future that is protrayed. Hellebore, and others that I don't recall right now were always there with in depth, thoughtful answers based in the known fluff but written to encourage imagining the threads of new stories.

And now we are reduced to comments such as, "it doesn't matter, we're not supposed to know."

Well if that is so, then what is this Background forum for? What purpose does it even play other than adding yet another place to start interwebz flame wars?

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2009, 05:56
Andy Chambers in the Designer's Notes of the 3rd Edition Hardback Rulebook - "It never pays to be too tidy with your backstory..." :p

And then in 3.5-4th Edition GW tidied up the back story with the C'Tan...

JHZ
27-09-2009, 08:40
Explains alot, like how every single BL novel, WD article, Codex and rulebook manages to contradict each other on some level, when there's no 40K fluff bible, like what Halo has.

DarkMatter2
04-10-2009, 05:00
And now we are reduced to comments such as, "it doesn't matter, we're not supposed to know."

Well if that is so, then what is this Background forum for? What purpose does it even play other than adding yet another place to start interwebz flame wars?

There has to be a sane medium between "anything goes" and the spirit of posters like Hellebore, who want to explain and categorize and flesh out EVERYTHING.

We don't need to know how many serfs it takes to load a shell on an Imperial battlecruiser, or how powerful the Emperor is/was. It would be nice to know some basic things about how the Imperium functions as an entity though.

In general, my resistance towards the over-intellectualization of 40k stems from people treating 40k like a universe that it is not.

Iracundus
04-10-2009, 05:08
We don't need to know how many serfs it takes to load a shell on an Imperial battlecruise

We do know that. It takes 40 (ref. BFG rulebook p.21, lower right corner)There is a lot more information out there than many people realize and without a set base of information on which to base arguments and points, it just devolves into unfounded spouting of opinions which ends up not resolving or answering anything.

DarkMatter2
04-10-2009, 05:10
it just devolves into unfounded spouting of opinions which ends up not resolving or answering anything.

Right, but that is clearly the point. GW wants to give the player/observer the option of deciding many things for themselves.

Thus their poo-pooing of the notion of canon and consistency.

The fault here lies with the people who want everything to have a cut and dry answer, and probably with GW's laziness as well.

Eulenspiegel
04-10-2009, 09:50
(...) Star Cult (...)

Ok I donīt know that story, is that just a typo or is it really "Star Cult" as opposed to "Star Child Cult"?

I imagine that in a universe where mankind conquests other planets, and interplanetary travel is known but not too common, there would be a TON of Star Cults on any given planet. Without any connection whatsoever towards the Emperorīs aspect of the Star Child.